Dear Brothers and Sisters,
We are coming close to the end of Chapter 2 in St. Louis de Montfort’s treatise on “True Devotion to the Blessed Virgin” where he explains in what True Devotion consists. Having distinguished the True from false devotion, he now lists some interior practices of devotion to Mary. Remember the first of the authenic marks of True Devotion is that it is Interior - as was pointed out in paragraph 106:
- First, true devotion to our Lady is interior, that is, it comes from within the mind and the heart and follows from the esteem in which we hold her, the high regard we have for her greatness, and the love we bear her.
Today we hear of some ways to practice interior devotion:
3. Principal practices of devotion to Mary
- There are several interior practices of true devotion to the Blessed Virgin. Here briefly are the main ones:
(1) Honouring her, as the worthy Mother of God, by the cult of hyperdulia, that is, esteeming and honouring her more than all the other saints as the masterpiece of grace and the foremost in holiness after Jesus Christ, true God and true man.
(2) Meditating on her virtues, her privileges and her actions.
(3) Contemplating her sublime dignity.
(4) Offering to her acts of love, praise and gratitude.
(5) Invoking her with a joyful heart.
(6) Offering ourselves to her and uniting ourselves to her.
(7) Doing everything to please her.
(8) Beginning, carrying out and completing our actions through her, in her, with her, and for her in order to do them through Jesus, in Jesus, with Jesus, and for Jesus, our last end. We shall explain this last practice later.
Come Holy Spirit, fill the hearts of Your Faithful. Kindle in us the Fire of Your Love! Jesus we trust in You! Mary our Mother, help us.