Novelist Ann Rice "Quits" Christianity

Born Catholic, then left. Came back to the faith.. with much fanfare and a novel detailing her experience - is now leaving again. Said she refuses to be "anti-gay ... anti-feminist," and "anti-artificial birth control." Quoted as saying, "In the name of ... Christ, I quit Christianity and being Christian. Amen." I'm guessing yet another novel will tell us all about her exodus back out?

today.msnbc.msn.com/id/38474711/ns/today-books/?gt1=43001

Jesus' parable of the sower comes to mind:

Now the parable is this: the seed is the word of God.

12"Those beside the road are those who have heard; then the devil comes and takes away the word from their heart, so that they will not believe and be saved.

13"Those on the rocky soil are those who, when they hear, receive the word with joy; and these have no firm root; they believe for a while, and in time of temptation fall away.

14"The seed which fell among the thorns, these are the ones who have heard, and as they go on their way they are choked with worries and riches and pleasures of this life, and bring no fruit to maturity.

15"But the seed in the good soil, these are the ones who have heard the word in an honest and good heart, and hold it fast, and bear fruit with perseverance.

What!??
How sad. I've read her Christian books and very much enjoyed them. I saw several of her interviews about her conversion and she seemed very serious about it.
I'll keep her in my prayers.

[quote="yellowbird, post:1, topic:207238"]
Born Catholic, then left. Came back to the faith.. with much fanfare and a novel detailing her experience - is now leaving again. Said she refuses to be "anti-gay ... anti-feminist," and "anti-artificial birth control." .

[/quote]

-sigh-

We all know that being a Christian really boils down to be being, "anti-gay, anti-feminist, and anti-artificial birth control". That's really all there is to it.

What a shallow indvidual...

Whenever she spoke about her faith it seemd so intelligent and deep. I don’t understand how she can come up with this…

I’m sorry, I didn’t mean to offend anyone. I vaguely knew about her. I’m sure she is a wonderful person, just misguided.

I used to see her post on the Amazon.com Religion Forum last year. She used to get attacked by that forum's near army of gay atheist trolls all the time. The militant gays try to turn that Religion forum into their own "anti-Christianity forum", it's like a mission for some of them, nasty little buggers. And I saw them insult and belittle her more than a few times, they flame anyone who speaks as a Christian and at the time she spoke like one. Ironic that she'd mention Christianity's "anti-gay" attitudes as a reason for leaving. It seems the woman is a very confused individual

She has a homosexual son, doesn't she? That explains the chip on her shoulder about the so-called "Anti-Gay" church. :shrug: I'll write here what I posted on her wall on Facebook - I'll be praying for her and wait for the day that she comes back home to the Church, where she belongs.

[quote="Rascalking, post:5, topic:207238"]
I'm sorry, I didn't mean to offend anyone. I vaguely knew about her. I'm sure she is a wonderful person, just misguided.

[/quote]

I'm just shocked about her reasons. I thought that an intelligent person would see through the secularist ideologies and pressures from the world.
She has a gay son and that is probably why she is sensitive about the issue. But I've heard her defend the church's teaching - I just don't get it...

I’ll be the cynic here and comment that perhaps she is changing her mind for the publicity.

she is probably in much personal mental anguish. right now she needs prayer more than anything. we as the good Catholics should help her as well as all others is such situations. I'll say a prayer and I'm sure the rest of you are doing the same.

thanks for the update.

Very unfortunate. She seems to be blaming Christianity instead of her own confusion about it. It sounds like she has bought into the popular relativistic mindset.

I've found this quote from her: "My faith in Christ is central to my life. My conversion from a pessimistic atheist lost in a world I didn't understand, to an optimistic believer in a universe created and sustained by a loving God is crucial to me. **But following Christ does not mean following His followers. Christ is infinitely more important than Christianity **and always will be, no matter what Christianity is, has been, or might become.

Wow. Holier than thou attitude anyone? It seems she wants Christ created in her image. I'm very sad for her and hope she will pray hard and open her heart to God without imposing her own agenda on Him.

just read this and I think the writer pretty much nails it (as well as where her head is at);

bighollywood.breitbart.com/jjmnolte/2010/07/30/anne-rice-follower-of-christ-quits-christianity-on-facebook/

*Anne Rice: Follower of Christ Quits Christianity … On Facebook by John Nolte *

Not quite sure how you can be a follower of Christ and not be a Christian, but novelist Anne Rice is giving it a shot. Wednesday, the “Interview With a Vampire” author posted this on her Facebook account:

I quit being a Christian. I’m out. In the name of Christ, I refuse to be anti-gay. I refuse to be anti-feminist. I refuse to be anti-artificial birth control. I refuse to be anti-Democrat. I refuse to be anti-secular humanism. I refuse to be anti-science. I refuse to be anti-life. In the name of Christ, I quit Christianity and being Christian. Amen.

Hours later she posted this:

My faith in Christ is central to my life. My conversion from a pessimistic atheist lost in a world I didn’t understand, to an optimistic believer in a universe created and sustained by a loving God is crucial to me. But following Christ does not mean following His followers. Christ is infinitely more important than Christianity and always will be, no matter what Christianity is, has been, or might become.

Obviously, she’s trying make a point and get a little attention for doing so. Here are some snips from an interview she did yesterday:

“I believed for a long time that the differences, the quarrels among Christians didn’t matter a lot for the individual, that you live your life and stay out of it. But then I began to realize that it wasn’t an easy thing to do,” said Rice, speaking from her home near Palm Springs, Calif. “I came to the conclusion that if I didn’t make this declaration, I was going to lose my mind.”

Rice said she is a Democrat who supports the health care legislation signed into law by President Barack Obama and believes gay marriage inevitably will be permitted throughout the country.

As a relatively new member of the Catholic church, one of the things I’m learning, thanks in large part to my Parish Priest, is that an important pillar of anyone’s faith is the ongoing moral debate you have with yourself over what is wrong and what is right. Though I have many political differences with my church and even more with my Priest (one of the finest men I know), the church recognizes that a sincere inner-struggle regarding political and social issues, a struggle to come to a truly Christian decision, is something that should last a lifetime.

Rice, on the other hand, appears to have ended that inner-debate and come to all the conclusions. Among them, that same-sex marriage and voting for Democrats is what Christ would want. If she’s made a sincere effort to work her conscience through to that conclusion, that’s fine.

What’s not Christian, however, is her lashing out at those who disagree, and judging them from a moral authority she doesn’t possess as betrayers of what she obviously has decided is a kind of true Christianity. There’s another word for this: Intolerance.

From where I sit, it looks at though Rice has “elevated” herself from a Christian to a narcissist.

looking at her full quote "I quit being a Christian. I’m out. In the name of Christ, I refuse to be anti-gay. I refuse to be anti-feminist. I refuse to be anti-artificial birth control. I refuse to be anti-Democrat. I refuse to be anti-secular humanism. I refuse to be anti-science. I refuse to be anti-life. In the name of Christ, I quit Christianity and being Christian. Amen." I am struck by the typical liberal attitude of smug condescension.

She was supposedly a Catholic, does anyone really think the Catholic Church is "anti-science"? Or "anti-life"?!!!! The Catholic Church anti-life?!!! It's a totally ridiculous statement.

What this really boils down to are the two statements "I refuse to be anti-gay" and "I refuse to be anti-Democrat", she's just another "gay rights" democrat whining that the whole world doesn't see things her way. Good bye Ann, and good luck

"It's easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle than for a rich man to enter the Kingdom of God"

In this case I think it is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle than for Ann to live in the world and not of it.

We all have our struggles in the world, but at least most of us are still here (in the church) and fighting the Good Fight against the evil ideals of the world. It saddens me that this woman left and why she left. All I can do is pray for her. Pax†

Here's a further explanation:

huffingtonpost.com/michael-rowe/why-anne-rice-has-never-b_b_664576.html

IMHO...

In the case of her son, she should have loved the sinner and hated the sin (as we are taught).

And IMHO...

I tend to think The Huffington Post is too liberal and biased for my taste. They tend to throw a "poor old Ann" spin on it.

But like I've said before, I'm not perfect either and I will pray for her. I'm sure she'll change her mind....again.

Pax†

[quote="Via_Dolorosa, post:17, topic:207238"]
Here's a further explanation:

huffingtonpost.com/michael-rowe/why-anne-rice-has-never-b_b_664576.html

[/quote]

That's an explanation from a gay activist (see his home page michaelrowe.com/index2.html). He actually brought up the "Fred Phelps' Westboro Baptist Church" strawman. I guess it doesn't matter that Phelps' so-called "Church" is just a little over a 100 or so of his family members, something like .000000005% of the over 200,000,000 in America who call themselves Christian, and I guess it doesn't matter that Phelps' "Christianity" has absolutely nothing in common with Catholicism (heck he hates Catholics almost as much as he hates gays). Does everything have to be seen through the prism of gay people and gay activists? it gets so tedious

the positive anti-Christian publicity this is supporting makes me utterly heart-sick.

I will never respect her again for this cheap ploy of sensationalism just for the sake of what? book sales? attention-seeking? who knows.

this is a good blog--says everything I want to say about it:

sntjohnny.com/front/on-anne-rices-quitting-of-christianity/1056.html

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.