Novena vs. chaplet vs. litany

So I have a dumb question…

What’s the difference between those?

Novenas are said 9 times (in 9 days) or some permutation of the number 9…

what are the others?

The other may be prayed at any time…no numbering involved.
God bless you.

Novena - private or public prayers repeated for nine successive days for obtaining special intercessory graces

Chaplet - a form of prayer using beads for counting or keeping track of repeated prayers. The rosary is a chaplet but not all chaplets are rosaries. Chaplets I pray include the Chaplet of the Blessed Sacrament (33 beads), the chaplet of Our Lady of Mount Carmel (9 beads), and the chaplet of Our Lady of Sorrows (7 sets of 1+7 beads).

Litany - usually done with a number of people but can be done individually, this is a ceremonial or liturgical form of prayer consisting of a series of invocations or supplications with responses that are the same for a number in succession. With the Litany of the Saints, for example, at the Easter Vigil involves a cantor proclaiming the names of a number of saints after which each the congregation responds “pray for us.”

:thumbsup::thumbsup:

I am currently praying the Novena of the Divine Mercy.
I pray a Chaplet of the Divine Mercy daily, along with an additional prayer. This continues for 9 days.

I love the Litany of the Saints. Matt Maher has a recording of it that is just beautiful. In my St. Joseph prayer book, there are a number of litanies, such as to the Saints, many to Mary, and many to Father, Son and Holy Spirit.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.