Novenas?

Im looking for anyone who has had experiences with praying novenas with a mature and well-formed faith development (ie non-superstious, magical approach)

I find myself drawn to them (I have been in full communion for almost 3 years now) but I want to make sure I take a mature view to them if I find myself lead to pray them.

I hope this make sense?

I want a faith and prayer life that is maturely formed in correct understanding.

Thank you! :)

remember the whole concept of novenas comes from the Apostles praying for 9 days before Pentecost :)

it also demonstates persistence in prayer

Think of them as a spiritual aid and comforter. We must always place the Holy Family/Trinity before us in prayer and only then can we pray for our own needs. :thumbsup:

Maybe this will help:

newadvent.org/cathen/11141b.htm

[quote="Monica4316, post:2, topic:180222"]
remember the whole concept of novenas comes from the Apostles praying for 9 days before Pentecost :)

it also demonstates persistence in prayer

[/quote]

Thank you Monica.

Do you have experiences with persistence in prayer? Not asking for specifics, but just a general overview?

Thank you. I really do appreciate the pointing out of where the practice has is Biblical foundation. :)

[quote="bill_Karabinus, post:3, topic:180222"]
Think of them as a spiritual aid and comforter. We must always place the Holy Family/Trinity before us in prayer and only then can we pray for our own needs. :thumbsup:

Maybe this will help:

newadvent.org/cathen/11141b.htm

[/quote]

Thanks Bill!. Appreciate the link. Very helpful and informative. :)

There are so many novenas for so many purposes. It's just a type of persistent prayer over time. There is nothing superstitious about it. Some prayers are called "novenas" but last for a longer period of time, such as a month or 40 days, etc. It's just a long, persistent prayer for an intention.

Don't worry too much and be overly scrupulous. It's a common devotion Catholics use.

yes, novenas have really helped me during my conversion to Catholicism :slight_smile:

I’m currently trying to pray the 54 day Rosary novena…but it’s really difficult :o

God bless!

this may be off subject.......but St.Philomena has an awesome novena.

\
I want a faith and prayer life that is maturely formed in correct understanding.\

In this case, I can recommend no better method of prayer than the Church’s official systematic prayer: the Divine Office, aka Liturgy of the Hours.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.