Novus Ordo

I am not a sedevacantist, but I don’t believe the Novus Ordo is a true Mass. So where do I go to church?

I am not sure that there is a Mass for someone like you. Even the SSPX admits that the Novus Ordo can be valid, even if they are extremely skeptical about the percentage of Novus Ordo masses that actually are valid. The only folks I know of who really flat-out deny that Paul VI’s Mass is ever valid are sedevacantists.

Actually, I am not sure if your position is really logically tenable, unless you are an orthopapist. If you think that John Paul II is the real and legitimate pope, but that the Novus Ordo is not a real and legitimate Mass, then you are, in effect, claiming that the gates of Hell have prevailed. On the other hand, maybe you are an orthopapist, in which case you might see if these folks have church anywhere near you.

Greg, speak English there!:stuck_out_tongue:

Where can you go if you think the Novus Ordo isn’t a valid mass? Try one of the Eastern rites of the Catholic Church, such as the Byzantine rite, Syro-Malabar Mission or one of the others. They’re all ancient rites of the Catholic Church and completely valid since their inception some 2000 years ago.

The Novus Ordso is a valid mass but you can go to an Indult Tridentine Mass in your diocese if you’d prefer that one. Just call the diocesian (sp?) office to found out where one may be.

[quote=Robinblue]I am not a sedevacantist, but I don’t believe the Novus Ordo is a true Mass. So where do I go to church?
[/quote]

Your view of the Novus Ordo: That’s not a Catholic belief, unfortunately. Dissension is not a good thing. Denying the validity of the Novus Ordo in general leads to certain theological difficulties. Now, if you’re saying that the NO masses around you are being done so iliictly that you are doubting their validity, that’s a different thing.

Perhaps you should try an Eastern Catholic Divine Liturgy or a FSSP Latin Mass? There are lots of them.

Greg:

What do you think of these folks latinmass-ctm.org?

I want to attend one of their Latin Masses, but it’s not by Papal Indult, I don’t think. I want to attend one of them because they are closes to my house.

Are they schismatic? It doesn’t seem so.

[quote=GrzeszDeL]I am not sure that there is a Mass for someone like you. Even the SSPX admits that the Novus Ordo can be valid, even if they are extremely skeptical about the percentage of Novus Ordo masses that actually are valid. The only folks I know of who really flat-out deny that Paul VI’s Mass is ever valid are sedevacantists.

Actually, I am not sure if your position is really logically tenable, unless you are an orthopapist. If you think that John Paul II is the real and legitimate pope, but that the Novus Ordo is not a real and legitimate Mass, then you are, in effect, claiming that the gates of Hell have prevailed. On the other hand, maybe you are an orthopapist, in which case you might see if these folks have church anywhere near you.
[/quote]

[quote=redkim]Greg:

What do you think of these folks

I want to attend one of their Latin Masses, but it’s not by Papal Indult, I don’t think. I want to attend one of them because they are closes to my house.

[/quote]

Well, here’s the question: What order are the priest of?

Is it the FSSP? If yes, then there is an indult mass.

If it is SSPX? or SSPV? Then they’re in schism.

As an Byzantine Catholic I would like to give my :twocents: (nickle for you Canadians).

If you wish to attend a Byzantine Catholic Divine Liturgy then do so but I would advise you not to do so for the only reason that you deny the validity of the current Mass of the Latin Catholic Church.

You should be drawn to the Byzantine Tradition or attend the Divine Liturgy out of curiosity. Not out of denial of the valid Mass.

I do not think you can be Catholic and deny the Mass.

I don’t know the answer to any of those questions. I tried to find out on the site yesterday and didn’t see them…

I mean, they have the blessings of JPII and JPI

[quote=Robinblue]I am not a sedevacantist, but I don’t believe the Novus Ordo is a true Mass. So where do I go to church?
[/quote]

I’d be interested to know why you doubt the validity of the Novus Ordo. ISTM that any Mass that is approved by competent authority is ipso facto a “true Mass.” As long as there is a validly ordained minister, with the proper matter and form, it should be a “true Mass.”

I’ve had the wonderful privledge of attending “Charismatic” Masses, Byzantine Divine Liturgies, and your average “run-of-the-mill” Mass (AS IF the Holy Sacrifice of the Mass can really be described as such!). I’ve not attended at TLM, but I would like to. I’d also like to attend an Anglican Use Mass. But I don’t doubt for a moment that any of them can be described as a “true Mass.”

Ave Verum Corpus!

[quote=redkim]What do you think of these folks latinmass-ctm.org?

[/quote]

I could not tell from the website. I sure hope that they are not schismatics, because I agree with everything I saw on their website and it looks to me like they are doing the Lord’s own work, but unfortunately this is not enough to be sure that they really are in communion with Rome. The best way to find out is to call your diocese and ask. I would be interested to know what you find out.

I will do that, and I will let you know.

Well, I got my answer. And it’s “yes”. Dang! :frowning: I asked specifically if they were “schismatic” and the Sister said yes, but I don’t know. She told me there was a Latin Mass in the diocese, but couldn’t tell me if it was Tridentine or Novus Ordo. She’s going to call me back…The ironic thing is that I kept telling her I knew it was in Latin, but wanted to know WHICH Latin Mass it was. At any rate, she said it’s the only approved one in the diocese.

Which stinks because it’s further away than the one by the CTM. Dang! Why are they schismatic anyway? Just sounds like they don’t like the Novus Ordo, but keep everything else!

It appears to be a fully sanctioned organization, but I’d call your local diocese/archdiocese to make sure things haven’t changed.

I did, loyola, see my previous post. BUT, to be sure, I also left a message with CTM, asking Fr. quite plainly, but plaintively, if CTM were in communion with Rome. If they are, I want to go to Mass there this Sunday.

Greg:

Found out that the Mass in further away from me is indeed Tridentine.

Dear Kim,

Apparently there are two Tridentine indults in your diocese: one on at Sacred Heart Church in Cutchogue and another at St. Pius X Residence Chapel in Uniondale. As I said, I am sorry to read that those folks you found are not in communion with Rome, but I am not surprised.

Greg:

Interestingly, the Diocese only told me about one in Uniondale, and didn’t tell me about the other one or the one in Cutchogue. Which makes me more curious to find out if the one with CTM is schismatic.

Cutchogue is like 50 miles away from me…

…………………..,,-~’’’¯¯¯’’~-,,
………………..,-‘’ ; ; ;
,,---,,_ ; ;’’-,……………………………..,,,---,,
……………….,’ ; ; ;,-‘ , , , , , ‘-, ; ;’-,,,,---~~’’’’’’~--,,,…..,,-~’’ ; ; ; ;;’-,
……………….| ; ; ;,’ , , , _,,-~’’ ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ¯’’~’-,,
,,-~’’ , , ‘, ;’,
……………….’, ; ; ‘-, ,-~’’ ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ;’’-, , , , , ,’ ; |
…………………’, ; ;,’’ ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ;’-, , ,-‘ ;,-‘
………………….,’-‘ ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ;’’-‘ ;,,-‘
………………..,’ ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ;__ ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ‘-,’
………………,-‘ ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ;,-‘’¯: : ’’-, ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; _ ; ; ; ; ;’,
……………..,’ ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ;| : : : : : :| ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ,-‘’¯: ¯’’-, ; ; ;’,
…………….,’ ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ‘-,: : _,-‘ ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; | : : : : : :| ; ; ; |
……………,’ ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ¯¯ ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ;’-,,
: :,-‘ ; ; ; ;|
…………..,-‘ ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ,,-~’’ , , , , ,,,-~~-, , , , _ ; ; ;¯¯ ; ; ; ; ;|
..…………,-‘ ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ;,’ , , , , , , ,( : : : : ) , , , ,’’-, ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ;|
……….,-‘ ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ;’, , , , , , , , ,’~---~’’ , , , , , ,’ ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ;’,
…….,-‘’ ; , ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ‘’~-,,,,--~~’’’¯’’’~-,, , ,,-‘ ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ‘,
….,-‘’-~’’,-‘ ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; | ; ; | . . . . . . ,’; ,’’¯ ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ,
; ‘-,
……….,’ ; ;,-, ; ;, ; ; ;, ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ‘, ; ;’, . . . . .,’ ;,’ ; ; ; ;, ; ; ;,’-, ; ;,’ ‘’~--‘’’
………,’-~’ ,-‘-~’’ ‘, ,-‘ ‘, ,,- ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ‘, ; ; ‘~-,,,-‘’ ; ,’ ; ; ; ; ‘, ;,-‘’ ; ‘, ,-‘,
……….,-‘’ ; ; ; ; ; ‘’ ; ; ;’’ ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ‘’-,,_ ; ; ; ,-‘ ; ; ; ; ; ;’-‘’ ; ; ; ‘’ ; ;’-,
……..,-‘ ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ;¯¯’’¯ ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; , ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ;’’-,
……,-‘ ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ,, ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; |, ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ‘-,
…..,’ ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ;,’ ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ;|..’-,
; ; ; , ; ; ; ; ; ‘,
….,’ ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; | ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ;,’…….’’’,-~’ ; ; ; ; ; ,’
…,’ ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ;’~-,,,,,--~~’’’’’’~-,, ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ;,’…..,-~’’ ; ; ; ; ; ; ,-
…| ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ‘, ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ;,’…,-‘ ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ;,-‘
…’, ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ,-‘ ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ,’….’, ; ; ; ; ,,-‘’
….’, ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ,-‘’ ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ;,’…….’’~~’’¯
…..’’-, ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ;
,,-‘’ ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ,-‘
………’’~-,,_ ; ; ; ; ,,,-~’’ ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ;,-‘
………..| ; ; ;¯¯’’’’¯ ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ;,,-‘
………..’, ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ;,-‘
…………| ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ;|
…………’, ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ~-,,
__ ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ;’,
………….’, ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ;,-‘….’’-, ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ‘,
………..,’ ‘- ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ;,-‘’……….’-, ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ‘,
……….,’ ; ;’ ; ; ; ; ; ; ,,-‘…………….’, ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ;’,
………,’ ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ;,-‘’…………………’’-, ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; |
……..,’ ; ; ; ; ; ; ;,,-‘………………………’’, ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; |
……..| ; ; ; ; ; ; ;,’…………………………,’ ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ;,’
……..| ; ; ; ; ; ; ,’………………………..,-‘ ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ,’’
……..| ; ; ; ; ; ;,’……………………….,-‘ ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ,-‘
……..’,_ , ; , ;,’……………………….,’ ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ,-‘
………’,,’,¯,’,’’|……………………….| ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ‘--,,
………….¯…’’………………………..’-, ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ;’’~,,
……………………………………………’’-,, ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ;’’~-,,
………………………………………………..’’-, ; ; ; ; ; ,,_ ; ;’-,’’-,
…………………………………………………..’, ; ; ; ; ; ; ‘-,_,\--\.
……………………………………………………’-, ; ; ;,,-~’’’ \ , ,|, |
………………………………………………………’’~-‘’
, , ,,’,_/--‘

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.