Now for a little fun.

A pat on the back to who ever can tell me where this chapel is and why it is famous.

[ATTACH]755[/ATTACH]

That looks to me like the Alamo in Texas.

Jaypeeto3

well if it is the picture was not taken recently the Alamo is in downtown San Antonio and has no towers

I will guess Chimayo (sp?) the shrine of El Santo Nino in New Mexico, an important pilgrimage site and site of alleged miracles.

Thanks, puzzleannie.
My coworker popped over to my desk just after I had posted my answer (she is from Texas), and told me, Nope, that ain’t th’ Alamo!!.

Now I feel like a horse’s patootie.

Jaypeeto3

Nope. Here is Chimayo. But I can’t figure it out! Obviously this is in either Arizona or New Mexico?!!! Just a hint now, IAMLDS. Methinks it might not even be a Catholic chapel, right?

It’s not in the US.

Here’s a hint:

“I don’t believe in God, I believe in science.”

well I was going to say Santiago, but he was no scientist.

tomb of Einstein? wait, he did believe in God

tomb of Darwin?

Was it a location from the filming of “Nacho Libre?” (haven’t seen the movie, just can’t resist some puzzles)

Is it San Agustin Church at the Parroquia de San Jose in Etla, or perhaps the one in Las Penitas? They are both listed as exterior shots in Oaxaca, Mexico

cameraguild.com/index.html?magazine/0606/stoo.htm~top.main_hp

I can’t find an online photo at the moment to verify.

Mexico!

Ahhh… the Atheist motto!
Hmmmm…

Karen gets the pat on the back.

This was the chapel where they filmed Nacho Libre. It is located in Etla, Mexico near Oaxaca.

There is a tradition in Mexican towns that I don’t have a complete grasp of. Many towns have some version of what they call “Lord of Miracles” (Senor de los Milagros). Usually this personage is represented by a small figure that is placed in a glass case.

While I was in the Nacho Libre chapel sitting there observing, a woman came up to the case and rubbed a flower against the glass of the case. Then she took the flower and rubbed it over the face of her son.

I also saw a small pile of fake US 1 dollar bills next to the case. A few of the bills had been pushed into the joints of the case.

That’s it.

Oh yeah, one other thing:

NAACCHHOOOOOOOOOO!

There are a lot of interesting traditions in Mexico, from what I understand. I have a friend who did her anthropological fieldwork in Chiapas in the 1980s. She reported seeing statues of the saints draped in elaborate robes. Underneath those robes, however, the statues might be missing fingers, etc. This was due to the saints not living up to their part of the bargain in providing rain, etc for the area. The saints failed in their job, the people punished the statues.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.