Now it's "Transabled"

That’s right folks, just when we though moral depravity couldn’t get any worse a new thing has cropped up called “Transabled”. It seems that some folks are not secure or happy in being physically healthy so they want to become physically disabled. I have heard some stories about people doing this sort of thing, like cutting off an arm or injuring a leg so badly on purpose it has to be amputated, and there is a conference going on in Canada at some university about this.

This kind of thing flies in the face of the goodness God wants for us and In my opinion such a thing can only come from the great deceiver.

Civilization has hit the bottom of the “slippery slope” some time ago; we are now sailing out over the fence, and are about to land in the middle of rush hour traffic on some other planet.

I am seriously considering putting a sign on the inside of my front door which states:

[SIGN]WARNING

You Are Now Entering the Lunatic Asylum[/SIGN]

Any right thinking society would look carefully through the DSM V and find that this need to disfigure a healthy body is a mental disease and look to a cure. Our sick, depraved society lauds it as a “right” and has conferences about it.

We already laud the killing of unborn babies; now moving to legislate this right to die for all who need our love and will slowly come to give the right to disable. Indeed, Satan walks amongst us.

We’ve become a society of sadists. :banghead:

I bet real disabled people would find this insulting.

Isn’t this Münchausen syndrome? This is a recognized mental disorder.

I believe that Munchhausen syndrome relates to making oneself sick or at least pretending, to achieve attention. This is a different mental disorder, but should still be labeled as such.

I saw an article about this and thought it was satire at first. I hope these poor souls get the treatment they need for their mental illness. I would become highly offended as a person physically disabled from birth if this was attempted to be “normalized”

It seems this is a variant of Body Dysmorphic Disorder, though people actually feeling compelled to amputate parts of the body is extreme, there are certainly many people who have many plastic surgeries, Botox treatments, etc.

From the Anxiety and Depression Society of America:

BDD is a body-image disorder characterized by persistent and intrusive preoccupations with an imagined or slight defect in one’s appearance.

People with BDD can dislike any part of their body, although they often find fault with their hair, skin, nose, chest, or stomach. In reality, a perceived defect may be only a slight imperfection or nonexistent. But for someone with BDD, the flaw is significant and prominent, often causing severe emotional distress and difficulties in daily functioning.

BDD most often develops in adolescents and teens, and research shows that it affects men and women almost equally. About one percent of the U.S. population has BDD.

The causes of BDD are unclear, but certain biological and environmental factors may contribute to its development, including genetic predisposition, neurobiological factors such as malfunctioning of serotonin in the brain, personality traits, and life experiences.

Anyway…it seems that in general, secular society seems to be going in the direction that in a perfect world, there would be no suffering. Therefore, any means used to alleviate suffering is licit, including amputation and mutilation of body parts.

Indeed, where transgenderism is concerned, many Catholics believe that if “gender transition” is the only way to alleviate the suffering of such individuals, it is licit. Many cite the high suicide rate of transgendered people as justification, indeed many transgender advocates themselves use the argument “if you deny us treatment, we’ll kill ourselves instead, and the blood will be on YOUR hands!”

I must admit I really don’t understand why so many people accept this line of reasoning. So, what if someone suffers from erotomania, the delusion that someone else is in love with him or her. (One of the more famous examples being the woman who stalked David Letterman and claimed to married to him.) What if such a person threatens to commit suicide, if the object of the delusion refuses their advances. No one would suggest that if this deluded person actually commits suicide, that the object of the delusion is responsible.

Indeed, threats of suicide used to coerce a partner into staying in a relationship are actually considered abusive! But it seems when it comes to political discourse, some think threats of suicide are perfectly legitimate.

I suppose there may also be a backlash against the use of psychotropic medications, that some may even think that amputation is a superior treatment both morally and pragmatically, compared to someone being on medications indefinitely.

Only a matter of time before the “transspecies” people come out of the woodwork.

“I realized at age 3 I was a gerbil trapped in a mans body.” :stuck_out_tongue:

REALLY?! That’s so ME! I realized at age three that I was a kitty cat! :stuck_out_tongue:

This has already been going on for decades…in the form of birth control and sterilization. Countless men and women either temporarily or permanently cause their healthy reproductive organs to NOT function. Yep, nothing new here. :shrug: :frowning:

They’ve already have it seems.
I’ve heard of this story from one of my professors that there was this Australian guy who thought of himself as a lobster trapped in a man’s body. :whacky:

I think I should have been born in Italy, so to alleviate my suffering, I need the government to subsidize my relocation to Rome.

Really? I’m actually Hawaian and I need a free trip to Hawaii and a free house on the beach. :smiley:

No more immigration – legal or illegal. We are now “trans nationals.” Or perhaps “trans cultural.” Oy.

That’s just a bad analogy.
We’re talking about human nature here not immigration policy.

Oh, and “transnational” refers to organizations, not people.

And lets not forget the transracial.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.