Now peanut butter and jelly sandwiches are racist

The Daily Caller:

Now peanut butter and jelly sandwiches are racist

[LEFT]A public elementary school principal in Portland, Ore. has declared that eating or talking about peanut butter sandwiches is probably racist. She has also instituted a separate-but-unequal drum class for minority students only.
Verenice Gutierrez, the principal at Harvey Scott K-8 School, discussed her bizarre brand of logic in an interview with the Portland Tribune.
“What about Somali or Hispanic students, who might not eat sandwiches?” Gutierrez asked. “Another way would be to say: ‘Americans eat peanut butter and jelly, do you have anything like that?’ Let them tell you. Maybe they eat torta. Or pita.”
Harvey Scott K-8 also offers a segregated lunchtime drum class for middle school black and Hispanic boys only. Participants must be male. They cannot be white or Asian.

One parent, who wrote to the Tribune anonymously, calls the segregated class “blatant discrimination and [in]equity of women, Asians, whites and Native Americans.”
“This ‘club’ was approved by the administration, and any girls who complained were brushed off and it was not addressed,” the parent added.
The separate-but-equal doctrine doesn’t seem to apply on Gutierrez’s watch. The 500-student school apparently offers no drum classes for male students who are white or Asian, or for girls. Nevertheless, Gutierrez has countered that no children have been rejected from the segregated drum class. The public school principal also argues that the segregated drum class isn’t actually discriminatory.
“When white people do it, it is not a problem, but if it’s for kids of color, then it’s a problem?” the 40-year-old El Paso, Texas native said. “Break it down for me. That’s your white privilege, and your whiteness.”

Definitely go to the link and read Gutierrez’s interview w/the Portland Tribune.
As for the drum club, imagine it was open to all so everyone could learn about Black and Hispanic culture but no white students signed up – racism!!!

As for PBJs, I’m 56 today and I still love 'em! Please don’t blame an innocent sandwich for society’s ills.

[LEFT]

[/LEFT]
[/LEFT]

The Word Police… These are the politics of extreme political correctness - straight from Mao Tse Tung!

I’m not Raciest … I dislike everyone Equally !!
and anyone that is so overly politicly correct as to criticise the delights of a peanut butter
and jelly sandwich …
Well you should have a jar of Vegemite in one sitting…
that should fix’em

Haha! Yum… but yes of course the golden rule not to go overboard :wink:

I am… completely lost for words… How far can one go with this political correctness… I mean seriously, a peanut butter and jelly sandwich?? This in itself is almost laughable, but overall is also sad that they’d think of something as crazy as a sandwich??.. There’s so many other issues in this world they should focus their energy on…

Ask anyone who these people assume are going to be offended “Excuse me, do you mind if I call this - a sandwich?” and they’d probably just shrug and say “Errrr yeah, so?”

Let’s embrace our cultures and differences and learn from one another, instead of this “treading on eggshells” mentality :rolleyes:

What you call jelly is I think what we call Jam.... You Yanks are odd at times...

oops ! was that politicly incorrect ? haha

oops again… I saw your from Australia as well…
Now my first bit IS Surely Politicly incorrect…haha

Haha I was just about to say, I’m from Down Under too :wink: …so yes I’m quite aware of the difference between jam and jelly here :smiley:

That woman should be institutionalized because she has something broken in her head.

What the principal is saying is that lessons need to be understood by all students.
Some kids never ate a peanut butter and jelly sandwich, so this lesson does not work in a diverse classroom.

As for the drum club, which has an ethnic spin, there are also italian clubs, spanish clubs french clubs american girl doll clubs etc. So thisclub is not exclusive, and neither are the other clubs-but the majority of students that join have a connection to each. Would your son join american girl doll club? Hopefully no, will some parent sadly call this a sexist club-probably yes.

The world is becoming more global, and it is important to know how to function in it. I teach my children to embrace all cultures.

Finally, how would you feel if you were a new citizen of greece for example, and the lesson for children surrounded baklava?

We need not to listen to media spin on certain things, and the title of this article was to shock and outrage and that cause diviseness.

Just my 2 cents.

Best part of many of these elementary and middle school jokes is…

While principals, administrators and teachers argue about racist sandwiches and the self-esteem of classroom goldfish, their students are failing math and can’t put a sentence together!

It’s criminal, really. And it’s not about money! If you look at funding, from federal budgets right down to your local town, you will find steady increases since the 1950s.

As a catechist, I should really be able to assume my 7th grade kids know how to write a logical sentence or that they have heard of World War Two. Sadly, this is not the case.

Pray for the conversion of teachers, administrators and political leaders. Our kids are on the line.

I think that would make me want to learn what baklava is, not complain about how things are done in a country to which I voluntarily moved.

This entire article was distressing. Prejudice to the max and I agree that “she has something broken in her head.”

Amen! That is what my grandparents did.

And it’s not racist or mean to point that out, it’s just common sense. If one was kidnapped and dragged to a new country it’s one thing. But when someone chooses to go somewhere, it’s quite another.

(And no, that doesn’t mean we shouldn’t be helpful and loving to individuals we encounter every day- that is the human and Christian thing to do. But policy needs to consider common sense and long-term effects.)

Be blessed.

You will not believe this but about ten years ago the Finnish legislators came up with a law that forbid a very old and respected company from having drawn faces of people from Africa on the wrappers of licorice they sell. (Hope I did not offend anyone and I really mean it, I hate racism and people who don’t understand that even if some people have a different skin color are also created by God.)

The neighbourhood I live in have people from all over the globe and all sort of different faith and ways to practice it but it is OK. We ought love everyone, like Christ did. We are not to judge.

The big problem,IMO, is not the peanut butter and jelly nonsense.Its having students go through the newspaper picking out exampless of " white privelege"

I am getting very weary of the wrong use of the word, “racism.”

This may or may not be a example of ethno- or cultural- centrism, but race proper has nothing to do with it.

Throwing around the word ‘racist’ is very Godwinish.

Leftist schooling at it’s finest.

:rotfl:

I ought to tell my wife this. She’d be tickled to death, since we both are huge peanut butter eaters. :smiley:

For the record we have both jelly and jam. It’s just on of the many privileges we enjoy as Americans.:thumbsup:

ATB

This remind me of the school that nailed a 6 year old for sexual harassment when he was holding a little girl’s hand.

Real racism exists. PB&J sandwiches are not racist. To try to put a racist spin on PB&J is to minimize REAL racism. The hand holding incident demeaned women who have experienced REAL sexual harassment. :mad:

You haven’t heard, perhaps, that there are some who think teaching good grammar is racist, as well.

As a teacher, were I employed there, I would be of the mind to bring a PB&J sandwich with me daily. Wonder how long my employment would last, considering how “tolerant” education progressives tend to be. :rolleyes:

Jon

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.