NPR- Catholic Doctrine "Anti-Science"

From "Talk of the Nation" 10/25, NPR correspondent Sylvia Poggioli-

"I think it's important though, you know, to say that also, you know, there is a streak of anti-science sentiment in the Italian psyche. And there's a lot of prejudice. There are a lot of superstitions. And I think it derives from, you know, years of Catholic doctrine. "

By the way, the statement didn't phase host Neal Conan in the least.

America's last acceptable prejudice strikes with people who I expect, better from. Bummer.

npr.org/2012/10/25/163641000/italian-earthquake-experts-confounding-conviction?ft=1&f=5

I dunno... looking at the comment in context, it seems the Italian Minister for the Environment compared the ruling to the Galileo affair, and that is what led to her comment that the Italian psyche has an anti-science element.

POGGIOLI: There's - they're not going to jail until there would be a third ruling, and that could take years and years and years. I think it's important though, you know, to say that also, you know, there is a streak of anti-science sentiment in the Italian psyche. And there's a lot of prejudice. There are a lot of superstitions. And I think it derives from, you know, years of Catholic doctrine. That's why we get back to Galileo here. You know, he was sentenced by a church court for saying that the sun is - the Earth is not the center of the universe but that the Earth rotates around the sun. And that was a taboo at the time.

CONAN: And the church gone around to saying they were wrong only 400 years later.

POGGIOLI: Exactly, exactly. And, you know, it's a famous line that he sort of bowed to the powers that be, but afterwards, he said this famous line - eppur si muove - and yet it really moves.

(LAUGHTER)

POGGIOLI: But that - so that kind of anti-science sentiment is quite strong in Italy.

I don't find it hard to believe that an anti-science feeling in Italy might be related to religion. Certainly there is an anti-science sentiment in the US, and it can be traced to strains of Christianity. Those strains are primarily Protestant, but there is no shortage of Catholics here at CAF who insist on a literal interpration of the Bible even when it conflicts with science, and even when it isn't required by Catholic doctrine.

NPR= Not Particularly Religious

NPR= Not Popular in the Ratings

I mean, just look at the APPALLING use of verbal fillers! Three "you know's" on an allegedly "nationally syndicated" rated station? OH THE HORROR!!!! :eek:

NPR should be defunded from receiving taxpayer money

Galileo wasn't condemned for his science, Copernicus had already come up with heliocentric doctrine. Galileo was Condemned for his theology.

That's OK, the Italian judiciary really drove a nail in the science community coffin.

Today there was an earthquake in the south of Italy, this country is located on a miriad faults and between volcanos and earthquakes they have a high incidence of this phenomena.

With this judgment rendered they just made sure NO ONE will dare give any sort of warning from now on.
Why risk it? if you can go to jail for it.

Dumber and dumb population thinking they can be (wait refrase that EXPECT to be) protected from craddle to grave is the issue here.

4 top scientists from the Civil Defense already quit as a result of this more to follows.

[quote="_Abyssinia, post:4, topic:303159"]
NPR should be defunded from receiving taxpayer money

[/quote]

:thumbsup:

There is more to be learned on the History Channel, Discovery Channel, the Travel Channel, and even the Cooking Channel.

[quote="JerryZ, post:6, topic:303159"]
That's OK, the Italian judiciary really drove a nail in the science community coffin.

Today there was an earthquake in the south of Italy, this country is located on a miriad faults and between volcanos and earthquakes they have a high incidence of this phenomena.

With this judgment rendered they just made sure NO ONE will dare give any sort of warning from now on.
Why risk it? if you can go to jail for it.

Dumber and dumb population thinking they can be (wait refrase that EXPECT to be) protected from craddle to grave is the issue here.

4 top scientists from the Civil Defense already quit as a result of this more to follows.

[/quote]

I read about that. It's absolutely disgusting that those people were prosecuted.

[quote="JerryZ, post:6, topic:303159"]

[/quote]

JerryZ, I apologize if I'm misreading what you wrote, but the above excerpt of your quote seems unnecessarily dismissive. Who exactly is the 'dumber and dumb population' you refer to? L'Aquila, Abruzzo, Italy? Seems unnecessarily harsh to paint an entire population with such a broad brush because of an admittedly illogical judicial outcome.

AzzurriFan

They have been anti-Catholic for decades. Back in 1989, KCET, Los Angeles' PBS TV station, aired a film it made called "Stop the Church" hosted by Val Zavala, one of the station's reporters. It ignited a controversy with Cardinal Mahoney of the Archdiocese of LA who spoke out against its approval of the homosexual lifestyle. You can read about it here str.org/site/News2?page=NewsArticle&id=5644.

From the reference:

"And where is the same interest in airing controversial films on the right side of the political spectrum. I have no problem with KCET airing controversial shows if they are willing to show both sides. Why doesn't KCET, for example, have the same attitude about any of a number of superbly produced pro-life films? In light of that, their self-righteous concerns for free expression of ideas and alarm about censorship, rings [sic] a little hollow."

[quote="sedonaman, post:10, topic:303159"]
They have been anti-Catholic for decades. Back in 1989, KCET, Los Angeles' PBS TV station, aired a film it made called "Stop the Church" hosted by Val Zavala, one of the station's reporters."

[/quote]

Sedonaman, KCET has nothing to do with NPR.

KCET is a local public television station. NPR is a national producer and distributor of public radio content. The closest television equivalent of NPR would be PBS. But in both the case of NPR and PBS, neither one determines what a local public station (television or radio) chooses to air.

In the case of the documentary you mentioned, PBS did not distribute it. A similar situation was with Fr. Robert Barron's widely praised Catholicism series which aired on many public television stations last year. PBS did not distribute the film, but many PBS affiliated stations chose to air it. Local stations decide what their programming will be.

What's offensive is the concept that Catholic doctrine is anti-science. People or religions might well be that way but spend any time and you will find Catholic doctrine is quite sound. Faith and reason are absolutely compatible.

I don't know if Italians are anti-science, or what might have informed the court to scapegoat on the scientists in this case, but I'm confident you won't find any anti-science teachings in the Church's doctrine.

Why trot out Galileo here? Why would you pull up an ancient bad ruling? Suppose my prejudice is to sling mud and perpetuate a stereotype - the stereotype that the church is indeed anti-science, church doctrine is bunk, and church teachings should not be included in thoughtful conversation. Is that the angle NPR takes on any other issues? Hmmmmm.

Yawn. Isn't it trollish yet to say that the Church is opposed to science? It is quite fun to squash atheists' claims--with love of course =)--that evolution disproves Catholicism; it only takes about a minute to do. Then their faces are like this: =\

[quote="Dale_M, post:11, topic:303159"]
Sedonaman, KCET has nothing to do with NPR.

[/quote]

They were created by the same law, so they are brothers under the skin.

National Public Radio replaced the National Educational Radio Network on February 26, 1970, following congressional passage of the Public Broadcasting Act of 1967. This act was signed into law by President Lyndon B. Johnson, and established the Corporation for Public Broadcasting, which also created the Public Broadcasting Service in addition to NPR. en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NPR

[quote="sedonaman, post:14, topic:303159"]
They were created by the same law, so they are brothers under the skin.

[/quote]

Sedonaman, you are still confusing KCET with PBS and NPR. KCET is an independent station. They determine their own programming, and draw upon a variety of sources, including their own productions,

KCET pre-existed PBS or NPR by a good 15 years or so. It was not created by the law which created PBS and NPR.

I still say they are brothers under the skin.

Opinion

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.