NPR: Japanese Soldier Who Fought on For 29 Years After WWII Dies

npr.org/blogs/thetwo-way/2014/01/17/263350879/japanese-soldier-who-fought-on-for-29-years-after-wwii-dies

Talk about devotion to duty. What was his daily diet like, I wonder.

Yes, he was devoted to duty. He also killed 30 mostly unarmed locals during the decades after the war. And while he got a “hero’s welcome” when he got back to Japan, those 30 people got to be dead.

I am not sure why he gets a terrible rep for that. He did his duty as he saw best given the circumstances. From his point of view they were the enemy so characterising him in that way seems unfair.

That’s a really fascinating story.

Eternal rest grant unto him, O Lord.

I agree, he should be viewed as a national hero, that is devotion to ones country that anyone else probably could not accomplish!

His job was to kill the enemy, so if he did not know the war ended, he would not have known to stop, I think he was absolutely justified. No one has the right to treat him like a dirtbag.

I wondered too, so I checked. According to this NYT feature, he survived on bananas, coconuts and stolen rice, “killed cows for meat.” Living all those 29 years on Lubang Island near Mindoro, and being Japanese, he most likely had to be fond of fish. A smart soldier skilled in guerrilla warfare like him would have been resourceful (lots of bamboo around!) to fashion a functional fishing pole and/or fish spear. I may buy his book No Surrender, the English translation, of course.

A true national treasure. :knight1:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.