NPR: Two banned Muslim scholars cleared for U.S. entry

npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=122772814

*The State Department has cleared the way for the return to the United States of two prominent Muslim scholars once accused of having ties to terrorism, a spokesman said Wednesday.
Secretary of State Hillary Rodham Clinton has signed orders enabling the re-entry of professors Tariq Ramadan of Oxford University in England and Adam Habib of the University of Johannesburg in South Africa once they obtain required admittance documents, department spokesman Darby Holladay said.

I’m tentatively in favor of this. Anyone else have an opinion?

I would like to see just what kinds of statements these two made against U.S. policy that got them banned in the first place. Also, it appears as though one of them gave money to a charity that funneled it to Hamas, an organization which the U.S. government has designated as a terrorist organization. How that is not supporting terrorism, no matter what the donor says, is not clear to me.

There is just not enough information in the article to be able to say whether or not I'm comfortable with it. I'm sure I myself probably hold some views about the Palestinian issue that some people here would find disagreeable, but there is a lot of grey area when we're talking about disagreeing with U.S. policy. I would hate to think that someone who openly advocated for terrorism would be welcomed into the country despite that support just because we want Muslims to think we're nice. I don't really care about Obama's "new relationship" with the Muslim world or whatever. I don't think we should be so servile. If it is all about mutual respect, let's see the Muslim world demonstrate that respect just as we try to by allowing Muslims to build mosques here, preach peacefully, gain converts, etc. Until then, it's really not mutual and therefore should not be used as the basis for making these kinds of decisions.

What next? Will we let in some subversive like Cat Stevens?

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.