Nrsv-ce

Anyone here recommend the NRSV-CE for worship and use?
I see it has the Nihil Obstat and Imprimatur, which I assume makes it suitable for Catholc use.

I say those because I have been unable to find a reasonably priced RSV-CE bible here in South Africa (Catholic Bibles are noticeably absent from bookstores, and can only be purchased via online sites).

I had 2 wonderful RSV-CE bibles, one I had to get rid of, and the other I gave to a friend in an old age home.

I still have a Jerusalem Bible (Original, not New version) which I love but I am not sure it is still approved for devotional use.

If it has a Nihil Obstat & Imprimatur then you’re good to go. I does have more of the gender inclusive language if that’s more to your suit. Personally I like the RSV-2nd Catholic Edition. I’ve adapted to reading on my tablet so if that’s an option for your I suggest the Lighthouse Catholic Bible study app. It comes with the RSV-2CE for free. With an in-app purchase you can get a dramatized reading of the new testament (I was skeptical but it’s really well done) & the Igantaius study Bible of whom theologian Dr. Scott Hahn is the editor (love his work)!
*Note the iOS/apple version allows you to make highlights and notes
*Android version NO highlights/note making ability yet sadly :frowning:

Here’s a previous discussion from the forum discussing RSV-2CE vs. NRSV

forums.catholic.com/showthread.php?t=365574

The NRSV differs from the RSV in four primary ways:

updating the language of the RSV, by replacing archaic forms of speech addressed to God (Thee, Thou, wast, dost, etc.), and by replacing words whose meaning has changed significantly since the RSV translation (for example, Paul’s statement in 2 Corinthians 11.25 that he was “stoned” once)
making the translation more accurate,
helping it to be more easily understood, especially when it is read out loud, and
making it clear where the original texts intend to include all humans, male and female, and where they intend to refer only to the male or female gender.

The New Revised Standard Version, Catholic Edition, has the imprimatur of the United States Conference of Catholic Bishops (September 12, 1991) and the Canadian Conference of Catholic Bishops (October 15, 1991).

I recommend the NRSV. It is the most widely used translation in academia. It is literal enough to be used for teaching and study but very readable for use in private reading and prayer. Along with the NABRE, the NRSV has the most up to date scholarship of any of the major translations.

You can find a wealth of information on the NRSV-CE at Tim’s Catholic Bible’s Blog.

I reviewed the Thinline NRSV-CE “Go Anywhere” Bible by Harper-Collins at forums.catholic.com/showthread.php?p=12720223. You can probably find the leather version online for less than $25 US and the paperback for under $15 US. This particular Bible has all the Catholic books and parts of other books missing from other Bibles.

-Tim-

Just for info, the Jerusalem Bible is still used in the Mass in the U.K. and is just fine for devotional use!

I really like the NRSV-CE. It is the version (modified) in the Canadian Missal.

Is this the one you are referring to?
amazon.com/gp/product/0061827215/ref=s9_simh_gw_p14_d0_i25?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=desktop-1&pf_rd_r=09X9KXF23HER7NR1N83T&pf_rd_t=36701&pf_rd_p=1970559082&pf_rd_i=desktop

No. It is very close but not the same.

The one you linked is from the same publisher and has the apocrypha but it is not the Catholic Edition. The one you want will say “Catholic Edition” under the words “Thinline Bible.”

The Catholic Edition is at amazon.com/Go-Anywhere-Thinline-Catholic-Bonded-Leather/dp/006204835X/

-Tim-

Ok, I found it. Pretty sure it’s this one:

amazon.com/gp/product/006204835X/ref=s9_simh_gw_p14_d0_i2?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=desktop-1&pf_rd_r=0FYVAMT097ZAGXZNS7F1&pf_rd_t=36701&pf_rd_p=1970559082&pf_rd_i=desktop

Ordered it and hopefully they are still in stock. Thanks for your advice, it seems a pretty good bible based on the reviews.

That’s it. I’m sure you will like it. I switched to it during my fifth read through the Bible cover-to-cover and have been enjoying it for many months.

-Tim-

Okay, my new Bible finally arrived. It’s nice and thin, so it will likely fit easily in a briefcase and not be a hassle to carry. The print is large, which is good since I wear glasses due to poor eyesight.

I like the sturdy cover too,so it’s built to last I guess.

However I noticed it doesn’t have a Nihil Obstat as I previously believed.
Is this going to be a problem?

It does have an Imprimatur though, which means the Church deemed it fit to publish…

I always assumed a religious book had to have a Nihil Obstat before it could get an Imprimatur Can anyone explain how this works?

Bible approvals are done a little differently than in the past. The NRSV has been approved for personal study and reading in the US by the USCCB:
usccb.org/bible/approved-translations/index.cfm

No, this political correctness translation messed with the gender of many passages. I believe that it should retain a faithful translation from the original languages as possible. The RSV-CE2 is a faithful translation.

I would have loved the NRSV. I do keep copies of the NRSV but unlike my RSV’s, I did not shell out the cash for a leather or ultrasoft edition. I have just a paperback reader’s edition and a second-hand NOAB.

The gender-neutering just went too far. I can agree with it in places, but there are just too many key places where it’s just wrong (huioi=“children”? No. adelphon=“members of my family”? uh uh).

It may be the translation of choice for scholarship, but I recognize agenda when I see it.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.