Nuclear warheads mistakenly flown on B-52, landing at Barksdale AFB

A B-52 bomber mistakenly loaded with five nuclear warheads flew from Minot Air Force Base, N.D, to Barksdale Air Force Base, La., on Aug. 30, resulting in an Air Force-wide investigation, according to three officers who asked not to be identified because they were not authorized to discuss the incident.

The B-52 was loaded with Advanced Cruise Missiles, part of a Defense Department effort to decommission 400 of the ACMs. But the nuclear warheads should have been removed at Minot before being transported to Barksdale, the officers said. The missiles were mounted onto the pylons of the bomber’s wings.

Advanced Cruise Missiles carry a W80-1 warhead with a yield of 5 to 150 kilotons and are specifically designed for delivery by B-52 strategic bombers. Air Force spokesman Lt. Col. Ed Thomas said the transfer was safely conducted and the weapons were in Air Force custody and control at all times. However, the mistake was not discovered until the B-52 landed at Barskdale, which left the warheads unaccounted for during the approximately 3-1/2 hour flight between the two bases, the officers said.

thetowntalk.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070904/NEWS01/70904040

Why people still trust our government to possess nukes and to protect us is beyond me.

How does this relate to this forum?

It appears to be news which is neither about Catholicism nor the War on Terror, and so the most appropriate forum seems to be Secular News.

Big deal. How do you think we get them out of the country? They ain’t made there. Is it any better to fly them over our allies territory than ours? Do you have any idea how much nuclear waste is hauled by rail every day and it is pulled through our major metro areas especially Chicago since it is a major rail hub connecting east to west.

Every day there are trains and trucks that carry nuclear waste from medical facilities, military bases and other places. There are fewer safety precautions taken for these then for the B-52. This needs to be looked into. But it does not make me fear for our safety.

The situation with the Jihadists make me fear for our safety more.

Um, has no one here actually read it and noticed the part about how they HAD NO IDEA nukes were even on there for several hours?

I read it. That is the only part the bothers me. But then we don’t know were many weapons of MASS DESTRUCTION are now. Ours or theirs.

We know where all of our nukes are. What makes this unusual is that we didn’t know where these 6 warheads were for only a few hours.

This is an extremely rare occurrence. I don’t ever remember such a thing being reported in my lifetime. The CDR responsible has been released from duty and the crew has been decertified. At first blush, it looks like a process was not followed.

In 1956 a B-47 crashed into a nuclear weapons stockpile at RAF Lakenheath, England.

In 1957 another B-47 accidentally dropped a 1-megaton weapon near Mars Bluff, South Carolina. The conventional triggering device detonated, flattening a nearby farmhouse and killing several people.

In 1962 a B-52 disintingrated in mid-flight, releasing two nuclear weapons. One broke into pieces on impact with the ground; the other was found lodged in a tree near Goldsboro, North Carolina. This particular weapon was a 24-megaton bomb equipped with six safety switches. Five of them had been tripped.

In 1968, a B-52 carrying four nuclear weapons crashed and burned at Thule Airbase, Greenland. All four weapons were destroyed in the fire.

In 1980 a mechanic working in a Titan II missile silo outside of Damanscus, Arkansas, dropped a wrench which punctured the liquid fuel tanks of the missile inside the silo. The resulting explosion hurled a 9-megaton warhead 200 yards into the air.

Compared with these cases, a 52 mistakenly flying five nuclear cruise missiles from Maine to Louisiana is a walk in the park. In even the example of the Goldsboro incident alone, if the 24-megaton weapon had actually detonated, the fireball would have encompassed six miles in diameter, and the resulting blast would have obliterated everything within a radius of 35 miles from ground zero.

Some interesting rumors going around, one of them being that the base the B-52’s were flying to was the launch point for middle eastern operations…

Evidently they are unaware of or uninterested in discovering, what functions Barksdale and Minot serve.

Rumors :wink: I love that game. It is so much fun watching the truth become fiction in three or more seconds.:thumbsup:

Is it true that the whole air fleet who protect America will be grounded Sep. 14th? Is that really such a smart idea?

Anybody wanna comment on this?

antiwar.com/blog/2007/09/06/is-bush-staging-nukes-for-iran/

"That is the question Larry Johnson asks over at TPMCafe. Johnson is a former counter-terrorism official with the CIA and the State Department. Johnson questions the official story about the nukes being “mistakenly” flown over the US. A retired B-52 pilot reminds him that the only times you put weapons on a plane is when they are on alert or if you are tasked to move the weapons to a specific site. Barksdale AFB is being used as a jumping off point for Mideast operations.

Johnson is “certain that the pilots of this plane did not just make a last minute decision to strap on some nukes and take them for a joy ride.” Johnson asks: “Why would we want to preposition nuclear weapons at a base conducting Middle East operations?” Johnson’s pilot friend believes that “someone on the inside obviously leaked the info that the planes were carrying nukes. A B-52 landing at Barksdale is a non-event. A B-52 landing with nukes. That is something else.”

Johnson wonders: “Did someone at Barksdale try to indirectly warn the American people that the Bush Administration is staging nukes for Iran?” I certainly hope that is the case. We need responsible officers that are unwilling to let our leaders get away with dragging us closer to war.

UPDATE: The Military Times newspapers, who originally broke the story leaked by unnamed military officers, reports that the squadron commander has been relieved of duty following investigation. The papers also reported that there were six, rather than five, nuclear weapons that were transported across the country."

No big news here. There had to be six for the plane to fly properly. Even distribution of weight.

there is more to this story than we are being told. most likely much more. when you read an ‘off the record’ remark, that was most likely made by the department itself.

In my humble opinion, this whole “episode” was cooked up to send a message to the mullahs of Iran. Most probably all of the participants received commendations for their roles in these theatrics.

Remember Reagan’s “accidental” open mike slips of the tongue.

No accident there.

No accident here, either.

Was reading some forum story on that the initial mistake of saying the incorrect amount of nukes on the plane was a cover for one of them being secretly transported and would be used as a false flag attack on America… the typical conspiracy theory stuff, but still it would make me sleep better if anyone here knows that all were accounted for or that it was just an initial mistake in reporting when the news story first broke out.

I clicked on the link, and couldn’t find a reference to the alleged nuke warhead story.

Anyway, one area in which “enemies of the United States” are WAY ahead of us is in propaganda. Public Relations. Media stuff. Whatever you want to call it.

Probably it’s due to the fact that our bureaucracy is bigger than their bureaucracy. And our bureaucrats don’t want to leave their cubicles and meetings and don’t want to learn foreign languages.

With the tight controls on nukes and “shoot to kill” orders issued to those who guard nukes, I have a difficult time accepting that the air and ground crews were unaware of what they were carrying and servicing. It ain’t like Homer Simpson … D’Oh.

You mean there was bombers in the air with real nukes onboard?:rolleyes: Where have you been for the last 60 years?

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.