Nucleic acids and Jesus

if this has been answered I would appreciate it if you could point me to the post-I could not find it

we humans inherit one strand of our double stranded DNA from each parent-the DNA of Jesus would look like???
I strand from Mary along with His mitochondrial DNA -what would the other strand look like??

That isn’t a question we can answer.

It would look like whatever God wanted it to look like.

(This doesn’t answer the theological question, but we inherit one chromosome from each chromosome pair from each parent — not individual strands of the double helix.)

Maybe it might be revealed the biological basis of the Incarnation in the next age…but I get the feeling it won’t be relevant then.

I have wondered if anyone thought about gene sequencing from biological materials (assuming there are blood cells with nuclei) from Eucharistic miracles…but that seems kind of sacrilegious.

I’m afraid you are mixing up two things. In a plain old regular human, male and female DNA meet up in the sperm and egg.

Mitochondrial DNA is entirely different. A mitochondria is a little powerhouse that lives in every one of your cells. Unlike your regular DNA, it isn’t as good at repairing itself. From recent research on mice, it appears that the damage the Mitochondria endures over time is one reason we age over time.

Mitochondrial DNA is often called the “Eve gene” because it is always inherited from the mother. In a regular human, the sperm is a small cell and uses every bit of it’s energy to get to the egg. The sperm’s (and thus, the male’s) mitochondria then withers and dies. The egg, on the other hand, is a very large cell with the capability to pass on, not just it’s share of the female’s genetics, (regular DNA) but also the mitochondrial DNA.

In the case of Jesus, only His Mother contributed DNA (from David’s line). The Holy Spirit would have provided something compatible. We, of course, have no idea what form that would take. His mitochondrial DNA would have come from Mary, under normal circumstances. Since He did age, I suppose that would be a reasonable theory.

In the case of Jesus, only His Mother contributed DNA (from David’s line). The Holy Spirit would have provided something compatible. We, of course, have no idea what form that would take. His mitochondrial DNA would have come from Mary, under normal circumstances. Since He did age, I suppose that would be a reasonable theory.

if you knew the answer, why did you ask the question?

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.