Nude in Church

A while back the local Episcopal Church in my hometown wanted to raise awareness and money to help combat breast cancer, a most worth endeavor. However, to do this the Pastor decided the she would allow 12 elderly women to pose nude in the church and be photographed and make a calendar out of it. The ladies did it tastefully and did not show any private parts but were obviously nude. Is it me, or does anyone else a problem with this? Do the ends justify the means? I would like to hear your opinions on this.

I myself prefer to be naked in Church (under my cloths, of course). Those wacky Episcopals…

While that would be fine to do in an Episcopal church building since they don’t have a tabernacle with the real presence of Christ, it would be in poor taste and irreverent to perform such a stunt in a Catholic church where Christ is truly present in the Eucharist in the tabernacle. It’s the difference between sacred space for the Church to gather in full communion and a meeting place for a separated ecclesial community. The Episcopal church is the latter.

IMHO, those kind of calendars are usually pretty funny and largely harmless, though you wouldn’t catch me posing for such a thing as it would no doubt decrease the number of calendars sold. :slight_smile:

I think the Lord knows what we look like naked… the human body isn’t sinful. He did make it after all. In theory it can be an occasion of sin for some, but quite frankly, these women were posed tastefully and at an age where “temptation for sin” might not be the first thing that comes to mind.

I don’t like that kind of jokey nudity anyway, though I used to find it endearing in a look-no-one’s-perfect kind of way. It’s demeaning. And it certainly doesn’t belong in church. Plenty of humor depends on making a joke of peple’s bodies. It’s not appropriate for church whether it’s kids having a gross-out contest at the table or potty jokes or goofy nude calendars. Even for a cause. That’s my:twocents: But then I notice plenty of stuff has gone on in Episcopal churches I wouldn’t want to be part of. :shrug: So I guess if it’s not my church, it’s their business.

I kinda think it’s none of our business what Episcopalians do to raise funds and awareness for a good cause.

I suppose it should not surprise me that they selected such a questionable method but where I come from, Episcopalians were pretty much fuddy-duddies and such an idea would have sent them running for their smelling salts.

Thanks for the responses so far, and as you can see there are varying degrees of approval and disapproval. Keep them coming.

Those darn piskies…

Gay bishops, the presiding bishop says that Jesus is not the only way to salvation, same sex blessings…

I think a tasteful calendar is the least of their things to worry about.

Nudity in church for a calendar is exactly where the episcopalians are headed - those that are left. Jesus is not as important as one’s social issues.

Shameful and scandalous. The pastor and those who posed seem morally bankrupt.

Wasn’t this a movie? Didn’t I see a movie like this?

No nudity in Church? What a shame!

well that is a matter of opinion, I find them neither funny nor harmless, and if I needed further proof that some, not all thankfully, Episcopal clergy have gone over to the dark side, this would provide it. “tasteful” and “nude calendar” cannot be used in the same sentence. the fact that they posed in church should make it sacriligeous no matter how heterodox the views on Eucharist of that particular congregation and minister.

I don’t know about going over to the dark side but I’m helping pull a whole lot of wet swimmers – both clergy & lay – out of the river on THIS side of the Tiber.

, this would provide it. “tasteful” and “nude calendar” cannot be used in the same sentence. the fact that they posed in church should make it sacriligeous no matter how heterodox the views on Eucharist of that particular congregation and minister.

I don’t know about going over to the dark side but I’m helping pull a whole lot of wet swimmers – both clergy & lay – out of the river on THIS side of the Tiber.
[/quote]

PuuzzleAnnie, I share your concern and disappointment in our separate Episcopalian brethren. I do believe that many have done exactly what you hasve said, thrown it all away and gone to the “dark side”, as it were.

Mercygate, may God bless you for helping those who see the problems in their Church and desire to return home.

Your title says it all. I cannot see how any of this can be reconciled with modesty or prudence. It is wrong on many levels.

“The Full Monty” - it was guys stripping though.

The calender thing isn’t very original.

I think it’s really juvenile. Why would you want to see your fellow parishoners naked, no matter how “tastefully” it was done. It’s like little kids snickering over sex.

Actually, I believe it was Calendar Girls with Helen Mirren.

now that is the scariest thing I have ever read on this forum

:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

If there’s anything scarier than a bunch of Boomers naked, its a bunch of Boomers naked, whose friends aren’t stopping them from getting their pictures taken for a calendar.

Oh yeah, you’re right. But same idea!:shrug:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.