Nun steals $850,000

A Sisters of St. Joseph nun in New Rochelle, New York, was arrested and charged with the theft of $850,000 from Iona College, where she was vice president of finance.

Sister Marie Thornton used Iona College funds for her personal expenses from 1999 to 2009, according to the Yahoo News story.

It is a great disappointment, when members of Catholic religious orders disgrace their vows. Such events dismantle the illusion that Catholics are better than other people.

I am just flabbergasted by this alarming news.

Yes, my jaw is dropping as well.

However, as a person who has had her best friend embezzle over ten thousand dollars from her business…I do not trust anyone and I believe just about anything now.

Proof that checks and balances should be in place anytime … anywhere … and yes, everything must be ran like a business even within the church.

[quote="Magickman, post:1, topic:222329"]
A Sisters of St. Joseph nun in New Rochelle, New York, was arrested and charged with the theft of $850,000 from Iona College, where she was vice president of finance.

Sister Marie Thornton used Iona College funds for her personal expenses from 1999 to 2009, according to the Yahoo News story.

It is a great disappointment, when members of Catholic religious orders disgrace their vows. Such events dismantle the illusion that Catholics are better than other people.

[/quote]

it this is a bona fide newstory should there not be a link to same and posted on a news forum?

how would you like us to discuss this in reference to family life? can you post a question or comment to get us started? until I see a link to a reliable source I will regard this as just more rumor and gossip

[/quote]

We're not. I'm frankly flabbergasted by this alarming statement of yours.

I am old-school so not too sure how to post a link. But I went to Iona College's website and read the official statement from the school. Each of the person's commenting should do likewise. I am always suspicious of the story when I see that the source used has a poor reputation of reporting the truth in regard to anything Catholic.

uk.news.yahoo.com/22/20101210/tsc-oukoe-uk-usa-crime-nun-1df2b7e.html

iona.edu/news/releases/1011/1209statement.cfm

[quote="jazzbaby1, post:4, topic:222329"]
We're not. I'm frankly flabbergasted by this alarming statement of yours.

[/quote]

Well the OP said the ILLUSION that Catholics are better than other people. It is an illusion. We are just as fallen as any other person on the planet, we just know it and belong to the Church that has a sacrament to address it.

[/quote]

What's amazing is that someone didn't snap to the fact that this nun must have been living a lifestyle a little more opulent than her vows would have allowed...10 years of embezzlement and NO ONE saw any problems? I wonder what she spent the money on?

It’s reported that she had a gambling problem. :shrug:

Sorry that I neglected the link to the news source.

It was on Yahoo news, from an original Associated Press story.

news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20101210/ap_on_re_us/us_embezzlement_nun

[quote="puzzleannie, post:3, topic:222329"]
it this is a bona fide newstory should there not be a link to same and posted on a news forum?

how would you like us to discuss this in reference to family life? can you post a question or comment to get us started? until I see a link to a reliable source I will regard this as just more rumor and gossip

[/quote]

I was going to ask for the link as well.

[quote="ElizabethPH, post:10, topic:222329"]
It's reported that she had a gambling problem. :shrug:

[/quote]

I don't see that mentioned in the story from the AP. I can see a lawyer coming up with a gambling addiction so she doesn't get as much prison time.

Evidently she was a modern nun, much more secular and probably lived alone, so no accountability.

[quote="TheRealJuliane, post:13, topic:222329"]
I don't see that mentioned in the story from the AP. I can see a lawyer coming up with a gambling addiction so she doesn't get as much prison time.

Evidently she was a modern nun, much more secular and probably lived alone, so no accountability.

[/quote]

Here is a link to an article that mentions the gambling.

foxnews.com/us/2010/12/11/nun-embezzeled-k-college-gambled-away-ac/

There were other articles I read that mentions it as well. Providing you with one link I hope is enough.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.