Nun

is it hard to become a nun

Depends on what you mean by “hard.” I would say it isn’t. One should first be Catholic, however. That’s not hard, either. :slight_smile:

Usually, a woman seeks out a vocation as a nun by looking at different orders of nuns to find one that she feels suits her vocation. Some groups of nuns teach, some are contemplative, some work in the medical field, etc. I have a first cousin who’s a nun at St. Cecelia’s in Nashville, TN and they teach and are contemplative (when they’re not teaching school). They are a very happy group. You usually start off with a year as a postulant, then a year or two as a novice. Then, you take your vows of poverty, chastity, and obedience as a professed nun. All of your worldly needs are met. Food, shelter, clothing, etc. Everything. You don’t have to worry about waking up every day, worrying about bills, job, children, etc. You just do your assigned tasks and pray to God.

I would say first a woman hears a call to religious life, then she discerns that call through prayer and seeking advice from a spiritual director or another priest or religious who knows her well. If she truly believes that this is her vocation, the rest of what you listed would follow…

I’m not a Nun, nor will I ever be a Nun… However, I have known a few Nuns in my day. If you have received a call (from God) to the sisterhood, and have searched and found the right order for yourself the answer is: Yes and No… Yes there is sacrifice, but the rewards are great… Kind of like giving birth… Painful, difficult for some, but well worth it.

well im not catholic yet but yes it easy to become catholic and i always loved nuns, and i live within an hur of like 6 convent/abbey

I understand that many orders have a vetting process to make sure those joining the order are mentally stable.

[quote="JoellaFaith, post:5, topic:212646"]
well im not catholic yet but yes it easy to become catholic and i always loved nuns, and i live within an hur of like 6 convent/abbey

[/quote]

You dont choose to become a Nun - GOD Chooses you. If GOD is calling you and his will is for you to become one of his chosen then you should obey. If he isnt calling you and instead has called you to another vocation - like say for example a married state , then you should obey him in that as well. Pray and meditate that GOD reveal his will to you. Your life will be fulfilled and meaningful when you do the Will of GOD regardless of the vocation he chooses for you. So my advise is to seek the Will of GOD Through Prayer and meditation on conforming your human will to his will for you. The answer will come from him - not from this forum.

Pax

[quote="Robert_Burns, post:7, topic:212646"]
You dont choose to become a Nun - GOD Chooses you. If GOD is calling you and his will is for you to become one of his chosen then you should obey. If he isnt calling you and instead has called you to another vocation - like say for example a married state , then you should obey him in that as well. Pray and meditate that GOD reveal his will to you. Your life will be fulfilled and meaningful when you do the Will of GOD regardless of the vocation he chooses for you. So my advise is to seek the Will of GOD Through Prayer and meditation on conforming your human will to his will for you. The answer will come from him - not from this forum.

Pax

[/quote]

i just want some advice and no being married and children is not for me even though my brother is and that great for him and i like his kids not for me.

It is for me. :wink:

There's a book on how to be a good nun called 'The True Spouse of Jesus Christ' by St. Alphonsus Maria de Liguori. :)

'The religious state is like the Promised Land; it is Paradise on Earth; it is a great grace.'

'The Lord himself says that he loves a soul that attends to its perfection, so much that he seems not to love any other. "One is My dove, My perfect one is but one."' [Cant. 6,8.]

St. Alphonsus Maria de Liguori

[quote="JoellaFaith, post:8, topic:212646"]
i just want some advice and no being married and children is not for me even though my brother is and that great for him and i like his kids not for me.

[/quote]

Perhaps you need to reread what I wrote. My advise is to do the will of GOD. To pray to GOD for knowledge of what he wants you to do. Telling me "no being married" being what you 'want" at this time is something I dont need to know nor is it any of my business. My advise , once again , is to seek from GOD what his will is for you. Not to say that you are going to do what you are going to do no matter what - no matter what GOD says or I say or anyone else says. Those with a Religious vocation dont approach the solution to that question in that manner.

Pax

"If thou wilt be perfect, go sell what thou hast, and give to the poor, and thou shalt have treasure in heaven; and come, follow Me."

Here is a guide towards vocation discernment.

The evangelical counsels are offered to all who can accept them. :)

[quote="JoellaFaith, post:1, topic:212646"]

[/quote]

if i had not married, i would have been a Carmelite nun like Saint Therese, and cloistered.
i always wanted to be a nun when i was young. i think a part of me still wants to, but i also love being married. also love being a mother. the inner me would love to be a nun, but its not my calling. its not hard to become a nun. if your really feeling like its your calling then you should find a few orders, and talk to them there. consider this also, what particular saint are you most likely to follow that was a nun? what order were they in? are you interested in being a cloistered nun? or otherwise? these are things you should take into consideration when speaking with a mother superior.

[quote="JoellaFaith, post:1, topic:212646"]

[/quote]

I think that a true vocation could start out with a simple question such as yours. First however, you would need to be Catholic and a Catholic for a couple of years although each religious order may vary this period. Why not speak to your local Catholic priest about becoming a Catholic and your interest in religious life - or even contact one of those abbeys or convents near you. I am confident they would be happy to speak with you and give you details, answer your question and perhaps ask you a few.

There's a book on how to be a good nun called 'The True Spouse of Jesus Christ' by St. Alphonsus Maria de Liguori. :)

Why not take up Shin's suggestion above, and get the book?

God bless - TS

[quote="JoellaFaith, post:8, topic:212646"]

[/quote]

I listen to many interviews on vocation and in most of them, the vocational directors would say "I ask the aspirants if they like being fathers (for men), mothers (women) but if they reply negatively, it's one of the thing that might disqualify them to religious life or priesthood. One has to have this natural feeling of motherhood or fatherhood because once you become religious or a priest, you become a father or mother of so many souls"

Well, you still have time to ask God's will. Let me share a bit of what I 've read today from "The way of perfection (St Teresa of Jesus (Teresa of Avila)"

"It seems very easy to say that we will surrender our will to someone, until we try it and realize that it is the hardest thing we can do if we carry it out as we should. Do not fear that HE will give you riches or pleasures or great honours or any such earthly things; His love for you is not so poor as that. And he sets a very high value on what you give him and desire to recompense you for it since he gives you his kingdom while you are still alive"

There you go. Get yourself a good vocation director!

Will pray for you.

Densy!

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.