Nuns and sisters, help me!

One of the baffling things to me---and I still haven't figured it out---is why Catholic nuns and sisters objected to the apostolic visit of a few years ago.

Why?

The thing that comes to mind for me, in this, is recalling when I worked at McDonald's. We kept the place clean, went according to the franchisee handbook, etc.

McDonald's sends out secret shoppers, or secret managers, out every so often just to see if a franchisee is holding true to the McDonald's method. Makes sense to me.

But why would any religious complain if a similar checkup---especially so open and upfront--were to take place?

As a guy who sits in the pew each Sunday, I much like the idea of the Catholic Church retaining its doctrinal consistency. Why object to this? why the objection to the visitation?

[quote="Captain_America, post:1, topic:265486"]
One of the baffling things to me---and I still haven't figured it out---is why Catholic nuns and sisters objected to the apostolic visit of a few years ago.

[/quote]

you would have to ask those who did object
most orders and most sisters had no objection whatever and welcomed the visits.

From what I know of that situation, it was a small but vocal minority of religious sisters who opposed the Apostolic Visit. Mainly it was liberals who feared that stricter rules and habits (religious dress/veils) would be the result of it. (That's what I personally wish would have happened)

Oh. Thanks. The minority sure got a lot of press!

You’re welcome.

Anything that is negative about the Church nowadays gets a lot of press :\

I think the “more veils and habits” thing would probably depend on how the order viewed its charism. Or at least it would make sense that way.

National Catholic Reporter has an archive of their articles if anyone should be interested.

[quote="puzzleannie, post:2, topic:265486"]
you would have to ask those who did object
most orders and most sisters had no objection whatever and welcomed the visits.

[/quote]

Quite true!

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.