Nuns married to christ?

I just a little confused. How is it that all the various nuns are married to Christ? Wouldn’t that count as polygomy, which the church condemns? Or is it that the polygomy rule doesn’t count to Jesus? Or is there something I am not aware of the clearifies all this? :confused:

Montie:

The celibate vocations in the CC are the counterpoint and not the contradiction to marriage. The celibacy comes from Christ’s words about some that will choose to be eunochs for the Kingdom. The priests and religious are a living signs of the anticipated marriage/communion with Christ in heaven. The celibates live out this anticipation while with us. They are also the sign that everyone including the married will experience in heaven-complete communion with Christ. We have the Holy Eucharist as an earthly sacrament to assist us in living this out already.

When the nuns take vows of Chastity, Poverty and Obedience; this is their total committment in living for Christ. The nuns often speak of their habits as their wedding gowns.

Most of this again from the Theology of the Body.

Hope it made a little sense.

in XT.

The Mystic Marriage of St. Catherine of Siena, with Eight Saints, Fra Bartolommeo

[quote=Montie Claunch]I just a little confused. How is it that all the various nuns are married to Christ? Wouldn’t that count as polygomy, which the church condemns? Or is it that the polygomy rule doesn’t count to Jesus? Or is there something I am not aware of the clearifies all this? :confused:
[/quote]

In fact, some people can become consecrated to Christ and not become nuns - a consecrated widow, say - which means they have dedicated every aspect of their life to Jesus and He becomes their “Holy Spouse”.

Remember, however, that you do not hold God to the phsysical realm so this would not be polygomy.

I struggled with this concept as well and started a thread some time back and got some great answers that have really helped:

forums.catholic.com/showthread.php?t=9840&highlight=Brides+Christ

A good definition of the heavenly nuptial is:

Full participation in the divine life.

With the Holy Eucharist we are already participating in the divine life but the full blossoming, splendor and consumation of our unity with Christ yet to come.

in XT.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.