Nuns with deformities

Speaking to a poster on a non-catholic forum.

The poster claimed his grandmother wanted so bad to become a nun but, she was denied because of a minor deformity.

I'm not familiar with the requirements of becoming a nun. I'm sure there would probably be different requirements depending where you go.

Is there any place for nun's with deformities?

Any information or links on this subject would be appreciated.

Peace

My guess it would depend on the deformity and whether it impacted the woman’s ability to participate in communal life or the work of their charism. I really doubt someone missing a finger, for example, would be denied solely for that reason.

My guess is that either you or the non_Catholic poster does not have the whole story. It’s possible, for example, that the grandmother had a small deformity and also a mental issue or was otherwise lacking in good health. Or perhaps her she and her superiors discerned she wasn’t called to a vocation with them and she used the deformity as an excuse to save face with her family. There’s really no way to know.

Blesseds Louis and Zelie Martin both desperately wanted to become religious and both were denied for various reasons. They instead married and raised five young women to become nuns, including St. Therese of Lisieux. Sometimes God works in mysterious ways.

[quote="nodito, post:2, topic:330576"]
My guess it would depend on the deformity and whether it impacted the woman's ability to participate in communal life or the work of their charism. I really doubt someone missing a finger, for example, would be denied solely for that reason.

My guess is that either you or the non_Catholic poster does not have the whole story. It's possible, for example, that the grandmother had a small deformity and also a mental issue or was otherwise lacking in good health. Or perhaps her she and her superiors discerned she wasn't called to a vocation with them and she used the deformity as an excuse to save face with her family. There's really no way to know.

Blesseds Louis and Zelie Martin both desperately wanted to become religious and both were denied for various reasons. They instead married and raised five young women to become nuns, including St. Therese of Lisieux. ** Sometimes God works in mysterious ways.**

[/quote]

:bowdown: Sometimes! that's the understatement of the year! :rotfl:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.