NY bishops say government, private charities should ease poverty

New York City, N.Y., Oct 3, 2012 / 02:03 am (CNA/EWTN News).-

Church leaders in New York called for continued efforts by both government and private charities to address high levels of poverty while respecting the human dignity of the poor.

Problem is government welfare crowds out private charity :frowning:

But we’re depending on the government to enforce moral laws?

Huh? :ehh:

I thought you were saying the government is inept at providing social services; that’s the same government we seek legislation from to enforce moral good.

:clapping::slight_smile:

You’re right and you think they’ve done a good job at protecting the unborn? you think the FCC has done a good job keeping filth off of the airways? You think they’ve done a good job in regards to the drug problem?

No I don’t, but I find it hypocritical to say that government can do a good job at one thing, but nothing else. We cannot legislate morality. Murder is against the law. Are there still murders? Drugs are against the law. Is there still a drug problem?

I started this thread because of past discussions where people, mostly Catholics, said it wasn’t government responsibility to provide social programs. They went so far as to say it was against Church teaching, yet we have Bishops calling on government and the private sector because our problems are so large.

Yes and Yes

I started this thread because of past discussions where people, mostly Catholics, said it wasn’t government responsibility to provide social programs. They went so far as to say it was against Church teaching, yet we have Bishops calling on government and the private sector because our problems are so large.

There are of course things government can do to help the poor, but how the government goes about helping the poor is another matter.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.