NY set to allow limited use of medical marijuana

ALBANY, N.Y. (AP) — New York would become the 21st state to allow medical use of marijuana under an initiative Gov. Andrew Cuomo will unveil this week.

Cuomo plans to use administrative powers rather than legislative action to allow a limited number of hospitals to dispense marijuana for certain ailments. He will formally announce his plans in his state of the state speech Wednesday.

The New York Times first reported Cuomo’s plan Saturday. It represents an about-face by Cuomo, who had previously opposed medical marijuana. Administration officials told the newspaper the medical marijuana policy will be more restrictive than in states like Colorado and California and subject to New York Health Department standards.

srnnews.com/ny-set-to-allow-limited-use-of-medical-marijuana

November 2013

At the same time, AMA delegates resisted efforts by some in the House to call for “decriminalization” of cannabis and the rescheduling of cannabinoids. Instead the AMA report asserts that “cannabis is a dangerous drug and as such is a public health concern, [that] sale and possession of marijuana should not be legalized, [and that] public healthbased strategies, rather than incarceration, should be utilized in the handling of individuals possessing cannabis for personal use.”

psychnews.psychiatryonline.org/newsArticle.aspx?articleid=1791023

Despite the AMA’s concerns, can legalization for recreational use in New York State and other states be far behind? It may take a few years but it’s coming, for better and worse.

:rolleyes: Here we go…

The AMA is against medicinal uses of marijuana because they are heavily influenced by the major pharmaceutical companies… Medicinal marijuana is capable of replacing many of the narcotic pain relievers, sleeping medications, and some psychotropics, so it is clearly not supported by big-pharma. If it doesn’t have any legitimate medicinal uses, then why on earth do they use it already in pill form (marinol)?

Do you think all the people who have found negative things associated with the use of marijuana are influenced by the pharmaceutical companies?

THC, which is in marijuana, is FDA approved, but marijuana has many other chemicals. As I posted similarly other day, who recommends that people who want pain relief take heroin or opium because they want the pain relieving effects of morphine?

Marijuana is nothing like heroin, opium, or morphine. It is much less addictive than cigarettes, has fewer negative side effects, and has far fewer withdrawal issues than most medicines on the market today. In fact, no causal relationship has ever been established between cannabis smoke and any health problems except in very high dosages which aren’t even realistic in 99.9% of cases. It would be like banning water because you could get water poisoning (yes, thats a real thing) if you drink more than 15 liters of it per day.

And the legal drugs they push are responsible for thousands of deaths each year. There are more studies done on marijuana than most FDA approved drugs.

What do you consider high doses of marijuana? I do not know if marijuana is as addicrive as smoking, but thousands of people are addictived to marijuana.

In 1992, about 93,000 people were admitted to treatment for marijuana addiction in the United States. Less than two decades later in 2009, more than 360,000 were admitted for marijuana dependency.

oregoncatalyst.com/25986-time-oregonians-learn-facts-marijuana.html

Who knows how many more marijuana addicts are there that are not being treated for addiction.

According to the British Lung Foundation, “smoking three or four marijuana joints is as bad for your lungs as smoking twenty tobacco cigarettes.”18] Researchers in Canada found that marijuana smoke contains significantly higher levels of numerous toxic compounds, like ammonia and hydrogen cyanide, than regular tobacco smoke.19] In fact, the study determined that ammonia was found in marijuana smoke at levels of up to 20 times the levels found in tobacco.20] Similarly, hydrogen cyanide was found in marijuana smoke at concentrations three to five times greater than those found in tobacco smoke.21]

heritage.org/research/reports/2010/09/legalizing-marijuana-why-citizens-should-just-say-no

I fail to see how a drug that causes brain damage, schizophrenia and other mental illnesses, lung cancer and impotence can have any health benefits.

The amount you’d have to ingest to die is not possible for a human to ingest. I can tell you from personal experience that cigarettes are far more addictive than MJ. In fact weed doesn’t seem very addictive at all, less than coffee even.

Speaking of ovedosing, the one thing that makes me nervous about legalizing it completly is ready made edibles. It is very easy to eat too much if you didn’t make it yourself and have no experiece with eating it. It’s not nearly as bad as drinking too much but is still a very unplesant experience. Seems like they’d have to regulate the amount in food/drink. If it were up to me I say legalize the plant material only. Maybe it’s better to just decriminalize recreational use like here in MA.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.