NY Times: Child Mortality Rate Declines Globally

nytimes.com/2009/09/10/world/10child.html

This headline grabbed my attention. If you read the article, it talks about how simple things like certain vaccinations, breast-feeding, education and access to medical attention has contributed to the good news about declining infant mortality.

I made it through most of the article when I got to the “uh-oh” paragraph. The article mentions how a village woman uses contraception to space births after losing two little ones to disease, right after saying that she didn’t understand the causes of their deaths. The point of the article was completely lost here, as it had focused on how education and access to doctors was the reason for the decline in mortality rates. Unfortunately, this poor woman will now think that contraception is the answer and that she should limit the number of children she has. A true “good news, bad news” story…

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.