NYPD now allowing Sikh officers to wear turbans and grow beards up to a half-inch long for religious reasons

NYPD now allowing Sikh officers to wear turbans and grow beards up to a half-inch long for religious reasons. abcn.ws/2ibzSmK

As they should.

New Yorker here. I’ve gotta say, this is a total non-issue.

Who cares?

Who is going to measure the length of the beards?

On a more serious note, I see nothing wrong with this.

Seriously. Considering They generally comb their beards into their hair and wrap them in their turbans IIRC.

“Half-inch long”? Sikh men generally comb their beards into their hair and wrap them in their turbans IIRC, so I can see if they determined the bulk of the beard should not be more than a half-inch thick on the face. But baptized Sikhs are not permitted to cut their beards in any way, let alone shave them. Saying a Sikh can have a beard as long as it’s cut to 1/2" is like saying you can be circumcised as long as it’s only 20 degrees around. :rolleyes:

Yeah, to me this kind of falls into the “thanks for nothing” category. The optics of it are good at first, but then when you start to look at the details, it’s kind of empty.

Sikh men often sort of tie and wrap their beards and tuck them under, sometimes using some kind of hair gel or something to keep it all smooth and neat, so the beard actually doesn’t protrude more than a half-inch from their face. This might satisfy the law.

I haven’t read the actual text of the law, but if Sikh men find it acceptable, it must allow for their beards.

Good.

Good, now if we can also get the military to do the same thing.

Seems fine to me.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.