NYPD Police Commissioner: Crime Has Skyrocketed Because Of Democrats’ Bail

As a lifelong NYC resident, I can say the comissioner is right. Cash bail in NY was imperfect and many poor people suffered years in jail literally because they couldn’t pay bail that was only a few thousand or even only a few hundred dollars. Sometimes, innocent people pled guilty because they could not afford bail or a defense attorney and just wanted to get out of jail. Change was without question needed.

That being said, the bail reform passed by the NY State government last year was way over the top and radical. Firstly, it removes discretion from judges. There are very dangerous people and judges know they are dangerous, but must release them. Moreover, many “misdemeanors” and “non-violent” felonies, are actually very bad. I woun’t list specifi crimes, just look at the list of offenses. Many conservatives, centists, and even moderate liberals agree that bail reform was needed but that this specific reform went way too far. NYC crime is up and many people feel less safe. The bail reform was rushed. Other laws governing victims’ rights and DA rules were also changed and those changes to will have a negative impact on our state and makes us less safe.I could go on with more specific reasons and cases, but I don’t want to make this response too long. For more information, read the NY Post.

It is sad beacue reform was needed, but these specific reforms were dangerous. Many people are being hurt as a result.

God bless

1 Like

Screen Shot 2020-02-14 at 7.19.57 PM
Why am I not surprised???

Is a life of crime just another occupation? This does not target criminals - it allows criminals to target the innocent.

Not to worry! Even more gn cntr*l will solve the problem!

Beam me up, Mr. Scott!

1 Like

I am not a member of the NRA or anything, but states that have conceal and carry laws don’t seem to have a problem with bail and speedy due process. I am not saying criminals *should be shot either, but there is a pattern developing in places like NY, CA, OR, and WA. [*except burglars and home invaders!]

Bail is there for a reason. Done properly, bail, when appropriate should be reasonable, and usually the 10% you have to put down for bond is affordable. In CA [certain jurisdictions] they are no longer prosecuting certain crimes with the same results as NY.

It’s crazy enough reading about this, I can’t imagine living it. There is something wrong when businesses have to put boulders on the sidewalks and home owners lie in wait with baseball bats to catch serial backyard bandits. Connect the dots. This is all common sense stuff, it doesn’t have to be blue or red.

This is not a cause-and-effect relationship.

…except when it isn’t.

Thanks for that in depth thoughtful response.

1 Like

My view is from the trenches. Incarceration saves lives. Incarceration is pro-life. Families can visit them in custody, or in the cemetery. Sad but true. Watch this video. The young man is speeding in a stolen car, attempts to elude the police at even higher speeds and was found to be in possession of drugs and a gun. His life expectancy was maybe one year - probably less.

Some people absolutely require a controlled environment - both to protect themselves and to protect innocent human life. The streets are not a controlled environment.

Except for promoting a political agenda, I cannot fathom even the contemplation of such a plan, let alone enshrining it in the law.

1 Like

Have you not heard, “brevity is the sole of wit?”

Depth is scarcely needed to point out logic flaws. I had to jump in as sarcasm strikes me as inappropriate when the cut is directed at another. The word is based on tearing the flesh of another.

I have seen far worse here. As have you I would guess.

You know, over the years, I have read and often admired many of your posts. I have not always agreed with them, but it sounds like spiritually anyway, you have you head on straight. There have been times when I even let you know that.

I am not accusing you of having a personal bias here, but I would like to ask, if you don’t mind to reflect and see if you do have one. It is ok if you do. There are some here that I might have a bias for, it’s part of life. But as in this case, I have seen far worse with no condemnation or remarks from you.

I am sure I have my own bias’s. I do though try and recognize them. I may even have some that I don’t recognize. For arguments sake, there are times I have seem posts that actually call for a terse response. Failing all of that, please tell me how one should react to rudeness on the forum. Should there or is there a rule against the slightest bit of sarcasm ? Are you able to meet that measure?
Pax
-e

Maybe what is needed is a sliding scale bail schedule. Otherwise, you have people in organized crime who pay bail without blinking while the families of poor defendants go further into poverty when there is an arrest, whether or not bail is posted and even if the defendant family member is found not guilty.

As someone with a pseudo career in this world… … … .

The sentencing by judges is too lenient. Therefore there is no fear of being arrested. This leads to prisons being overcrowded and court dockets months long. Bail is often too high paired with the crime some people think.

Does an adult caught with marajuana need a $5,000 bond? That’s 10% required of the bondsmen and then 70% of people out there today don’t even have $500 in savings for any emergency at all.

Since you asked, the proper response to my comment might have been, “Okay boomer.” I will confess to a generational bias, in that somethings may bother me just because of my own up-bringing. I will try to be more tolerant of such things in the future. I will even expand the point above.

Correlation does not equal causation. In this case, there is not a direct connection between speedy process and handgun legislation. There might be a third factor, like maybe the type who is favors gun availability is willing to spend money to move the justice system along. That may sound like a stretch, but it is not impossible. There is a website that is fun to show how this principle operates.

As to the other point, it is critical that justice help the poorest of the poor. If we wrongly imprison the most needy among us excessively, that is awaiting trial over not being able to pay, then we do not follow Catholic teaching on social justice. If you are one of those, it is little comfort that others can post bond.

Finally, I would hope that, if nothing else, Twitter and such would convey the value of brevity. Less is better in most cases. The best example I know of this is the Gettysburg Address, three minutes of brilliance.

The sarcasm was toward me. And I sarcastically responded by giving the post a like.

1 Like

In spite of my first comments to the OP, I would be all for bail system reforms that learn from past mistakes. I love “sunset clauses” in new laws as they allow for tweaking and adjustments without the added headaches of repealing a law where unintended consequences have been found.

A good example of this is the don’t ask don’t tell laws, [which I am not taking a position on here, just an example] The law did not take into consideration certain scenarios , Bill Clinton could not or did not foresee.] Same thing here with this bail reform.

I think we may have a situation here that was an attempt to help, but may have brought unintended consequences that appear at least… to be significant. I am all about showing mercy, I love the book of James, but I have to wonder here, with this law if we have not thrown the baby out with the bath water. I am open though to thoughts about it from any quarters.
Thank you for your response. Really!

1 Like

I don’t know if I should laugh or shake my head! I think I will embrace the humor here. LOL

1 Like
DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.