O My People, I Will Open Your Graves

“O my people, I will open your graves and have you rise from them, and bring back to the land of Israel” (Ez 37:12). This was the beginning of the OT reading yesterday, Fifth Sunday of Lent. Of course, the gospel reading was the raising of Lazarus. I’m not going into the literal interpretation which deals with the nation of Israel. I would like to delve into what it means to us–now. Many people say that yesterday’s reading applies to our bodily resurrection at the Last Day. That would not be incorrect, but I think there is more to it.

If we look at Jesus being the fulfillment of the promises to Israel, then I think we could logically think that “Israel” could refer to the Kingdom–the Catholic Church, because the Catholic Church is the Body of Christ. The Kingdom is true happiness because true happiness can only be found in Jesus Christ. God opened our “graves” upon our Baptism; He raised us from spiritual death. Now, non-Catholics are also raised upon Baptism, but they do not receive the fullness of Christ which is found in the Catholic Church; therefore, the do not have the fullness of happiness that a Catholic can have. We receive happiness more abundantly when we walk in obedience–obedience to the Word and the Church, which must not be separated. Otherwise, we become rebels, protesting against Jesus Christ Himself because He is the Head of the Body, the Catholic Church. Oftentimes, we fall culprit to desiring a Jesus of our own making, an idol. We want a Jesus who conforms himself to our ideas of what is right, what is just, instead of conforming our minds to His, as taught by the Catholic Church, the Body of Christ, of which Jesus is the Head and will deceive the Body.

We have been raised from our graves; now, we need to walk the walk and talk the talk of one who was been raised to life in Jesus Christ. We need to be good Catholics. Christ has given us the Sacraments to aid us in the life of taking up the cross, following Him, and dying daily to self.

The only way to the Father is through the Son. How awesome is that!

Praise to You Lord Jesus Christ.

Amen, interesting way of looking at that Scripture

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.