O Reilly just said Jesus never said anything about homosexual marriage or contraception

He said this tonight on The Factor.

How does he know Jesus never spoke on it?

He needs some emails I think…

Well we certainly have no evidence that Christ said anything on either. Contraception existed at the time in some forms (although not widely used) and I am not sure about gay marriage, maybe in some cultures. The Church and scripture have verses that indirectly talk about these issues, though. Also Church teaching is clear on it. Honestly though I really doubt that Jesus spoke on either, since I don’t think they were as big of issues then as they are now.

One cannot claim He never spoke on it. A suitable claim is there is no record of the Authors of the Gospels recording it.

If you notice I didn’t say he didn’t speak on these, I said he probably didn’t due to the fact they weren’t as big of issues in his day like they are now.

If He did, the Gospel writers didn’t think it was important enough to include.

Or maybe the fact that it was already widely belived in Jewish culture, so no point including it

Could be that too…but we really don’t know, do we?

Well ain’t it in the Torah? in Levitcus, it calls homosexuality acts an abomination, does it not?

It says a LOT of things were abominations…yet we only notice that one. :rolleyes:

I think The Leprachaun and The Wallbanger sometimes forget that while they are Irish, and while they are Catholic, they are not yet Bishops.

:smiley:

lol, ikr, whats ashame is those ‘christians’ who always point figures at homosexuals, but yet will sin themselves and not care,

O’Reilly doesn’t speak for Christ nor for the Church. The fact is that not all that Christ said is in the Bible. St. John said that the entire world could not hold the books needed to write everything Christ said. Also it must be remembered that the Old Testiment is also the Word of God, a part of Revelation.

But the entire Word of God is contained in Tradition and the Magisterium is the arbiter of the entire body of Doctrine as contained in the Entire Scripture and in Tradition. O’Reilly is a person expressing a private opinion, that is all. :thumbsup:

The sins that cry to Heaven for Vengeance:

1. Murder (Gn 4:10)
    2. Sodomy (Gn 17:20-21)
  2. Oppression of the poor (Ex 2:23)
  3. Defrauding workers of their just wages (Jas 5:4)

Biden Sold Out

He never spoke about bestiality either as far as we know. That doesn’t mean it is okay. It was rare then, and it still is hence we don’t try to legalize that particular sin. Jesus didn’t speak about every variation of all possible sin. He didn’t have to - He left His Church in place to serve as His mouthpiece of Truth. Listen to the Church.

That goes for you too O’Reilly. It sounds like your spinning it - get back in the no-spin-zone! You were taught by those dear nuns, so you know better than that, you know to listen to the Church. Don’t make those nuns now in Heaven ashamed to say they taught you!

God bless you.

It is incorrect to say that Jesus said nothing about homosexuality. Jesus is God. God spoke plenty about sin, including homosexuality, and Jesus is God.

Catholics don’t seperate Jesus’ humanity from his divinity. He is true man and true God, and God was clear on many things. The God of the Old Testament who told us about many abominable behaviors is the same God who walked the earth in Palestine 2000 years ago in the person of Jesus.

Jesus was a faithful Jew, and knew the Torah. He amazed the learned men in the temple when he was a twelve year old boy. Jesus knew God’s commandments in the Torah. His knowledge and understanding of scripture was breathtaking, and that shouldn’t surprise anyone because Jesus is God, and God is the primary author of Scripture - all of it - from “In the beginning” to “Come, Lord Jesus.”

-Tim-

I wonder if St Paul made it up? :nope:

He must have heard it from somewhere.

Judaism was quite clear in its’ condemnation of homosexuality and artificial contraception. If Jesus had said anything contrary to those teachings, he would have been condemned for it. The fact that he was crucified for other reasons makes it clear that he did not.

Second, Christians believe that the entire New Testament is the teaching of Christ. Paul clearly condemns homosexuality and other sexual immorality. To try to split the teachings of Christ and Paul is un-Christian or anti-Christian.

For if you believed Moses, you would believe Me; for he wrote about Me. But if you do not believe his writings, how will you believe My words? John 5:46-47

Did Jesus not endorse and follow Mosaic law? What does the law of Moses say about homosexuality?

Do not have sexual relations with a man as one does with a woman; that is detestable’ - Leviticus 18:22

If a man has sexual relations with a man as one does with a woman, both of them have done what is detestable. They are to be put to death; their blood will be on their own heads - Leviticus 20:13

There shall be no whore of the daughters of Israel, nor a sodomite of the sons of Israel - Deuteronomy 23:17

Jesus said, 'I still have many things to say to you, but you cannot bear them now. However, when He, the Spirit of truth, has come, He will guide you into all truth; for He will not speak on His own authority, but whatever He hears He will speak; and He will tell you things to come. He will glorify Me, for he will take of what is Mine and declare it to you. All things that he Father has are Mine. Therefore I said that He will take of Mine and declare it to you - John 16:12-15

Jesus said the Holy Spirit would guide the Apostles in truth. Verse 14 says The Apostles wool speak with the authority of Christ.

Apostle Paul, by Christ’s authority said the following about practising homosexuality

Because of this, God gave them over to shameful lusts. Even their women exchanged natural sexual relations for unnatural ones. In the same way the men also abandoned natural relations with women and were inflamed with lust for one another. Men committed shameful acts with other men, and received in themselves the due penalty for their error - Romans 1:26-27

Or do you not know that wrongdoers will not inherit the kingdom of God? Do not be deceived: Neither the sexually immoral nor idolaters nor adulterers nor men who have sex with men[a] nor thieves nor the greedy nor drunkards nor slanderers nor swindlers will inherit the kingdom of God - 1 Corinthians 6:9-10

Homosexuals can be redeemed

1 Corinthians 6:11 And that is what some of you were. But you were washed, you were sanctified, you were justified in the name of the Lord Jesus Christ and by the Spirit of our God

If Jesus wanted to to turn away from the Mosaic law views of homosexuality, then he would not have given authority to Apostle Paul to speak on such issues with disapproval of homosexual acts and Jesus would not have said what he did in John 5:46-47

The sin of onan

Contraception can act as an abortifacient which means it can kill a fertilised embryo which has been implanted with a soul at conception. Exodus 20:13, the commandment says thou shall not kill, this is in the OT. Did Jesus agree with the OT teachings? Yes, see quote at top of this post

Read this article for the scriptural basis for opposition to contraception for contraceptive pruposes

In Palestine, amongst the Jews during the time of Christ, homosexuality was such an abomination that the existing Jewish homosexuals were literally under the floor of the closet. A homosexual could be stoned to death for his/her actions at that time. It was considered by the masses to be something that only pagans, such as the Romans did. Thus, it was never a subject for discussion, as was marriage or sexual acts outside of marriage.
It wan’t until St. Paul started dealing with gentiles in what is now Syria that homosexual acts were written about and soundly condemned by him.
The fact that Christ did not specifically speak of it doesn’t lessen the fact that these actions were considered grievious sins.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.