O Sacred Head ... my Holy week favourite!

At Mass today we used the tune for O Sacred Head Surrounded.
Unfortunately (for me) we sang the words to the hymn on the preceding page in the CBWIII.

I just love this:

O sacred head, surrounded
by crown of piercing thorn!
O bleeding head, so wounded,
reviled and put to scorn!
Death’s pallid hue comes over thy
The glow of life decays,
yet angel hosts adore thee
and tremble as they gaze

What a pathetic creature our Lord must have looked like, all bloody and nailed to a cross.
And still, in all eternity, angels and saints adore him, and seeing His sacrifice, tremble as they gaze!!!

Sanctus, sanctus, sanctus, Dominus Deus Sabaoath!

:highprayer:

Hi, Reginator,

I met you on the “tantum ergo” thread. I like your taste in poetry and music. We didn’t do O Saced Head Surrounded today, but I would have liked it. I too like the “fling me to my knees” power and beauty of angel hosts adoring in trembling awe. Makes me wish I could have learned the German of my family so I could appreciate the hymn in German. Any German lit scholars out there who can tell us about the origin of that text?

Our Knights of Columbus choir did Hosanna Filio David today. The rendition was energetic and sincere … bless their hearts.

What did you folks out there sing today to celebrate Palm Sunday?

We sang All Glory, Laud and Honor and the recessional was Lift High, the Cross. The Communion hymn was something tawdry and horizontal from the Spirit and Song collection. :frowning:

I love O Sacred Head, All Glory, Laud and Honor, and Lift High the Cross.

Every Spirit and Song Hymnal needs to be burned in a nice, large bonfire. That hymnal is atrocious at best.

I had to sing that hymn [O Sacred Head, Surrounded] loudly, because of the high notes. If I don’t sing a song loud with high notes, it can be a disaster.

We sang “Hosanna filio David”, “Gloria laus et honor tibi sit”, and for the communion hymn, Pater si non potest. In Latin. Exactly as called for from the Graduale Romanum.

What church do you attend that actually follows the Graduale Romanum?

Howdy Joan!

We also sang “Crown Him with Many Crowns”.
We didn’t sing “All Glory Laud and Honour” though. These are both hymns I know well from my Anglican background. (Does anyone know if they are protestant in origin?)

Some hymns were never missed on certain feast days:
Christmas began with 'O Come All Ye Faithful"
Palm Sunday always had “All Glory Laud and Honour” for processing with the palms.
Easter always included “Jesus Christ is risen today”
Trinity Sunday started or ended with “Holy, Holy, Holy”

Since becoming Catholic I hate it when “Pange Lingua” is not used on Maundy Thursday as has happened often, especially with ‘folk choirs’.

I went to two Masses today-one at 10:30 am with the choir, and one at 5:00 pm with the Passion reading…here’s a list of hymns we did:

Procession: All Glory, Laud, and Honor (both)-that’s something that’s an unwritten rule that you’ve GOT to do today
Offertory: O Sacred Head Surrounded (both-but with different lyrics both times-the choir one was the older verses, while the 5:00 one was the newer ones-“In this, Your bitter Passion, Good Shepherd, think of me…”)
Communion: Were You There (both)
What Wondrous Love (10:30)
O Come and Mourn (10:30)
Now We Remain (5:00)
Recessional: Jesus, Remember Me (both)-fitting as this year was Luke’s account…

All Glory, Laud and Honor is most assuredely not a Protestant hymn. The original text comes from St. Theodulph of Orleans and dates back to the 9th Century. It was translated by John Mason Neale, but, it is definitely Catholic in origin.

My music director always uses “Jesus, Remember Me” as the recessional on Palm Sunday. He also makes us sing it acapella, which is really nice.

I never really knew how much I liked “Now We Remain”. It’s a very touching song.

Also, yeah, there are certain hymns that are done EVERY year and there seems to be an unwritten rule that they HAVE to be sung!

Palm Sunday: All Glory, Laud, and Honor
O Sacred Head, Surrounded
Jesus, Remember Me
Holy Thursday: Glory in the Cross
Easter Sunday: Jesus Christ is Risen Today

Palm Sunday:
Honsana Filio David (chant) for the procession to the rear of the church.
Processional: All Glory, Laud, and Honor
Offetory: O Sacred Head
Communion: Glory in the Cross
Meditation: What Wondrous Love is This
Closing/Recessional: Were You There (solemn recessional)

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.