Obama Admin knew millions could not keep their health ins.

By Lisa Myers and Hannah Rappleye

NBC News

President Obama repeatedly assured Americans that after the Affordable Care Act became law, people who liked their health insurance would be able to keep it. But millions of Americans are getting or are about to get cancellation letters for their health insurance under Obamacare, say experts, and the Obama administration has known that for at least three years.

Four sources deeply involved in the Affordable Care Act tell NBC NEWS that 50 to 75 percent of the 14 million consumers who buy their insurance individually can expect to receive a “cancellation” letter or the equivalent over the next year because their existing policies don’t meet the standards mandated by the new health care law. One expert predicts that number could reach as high as 80 percent. And all say that many of those forced to buy pricier new policies will experience “sticker shock.”

read more:

investigations.nbcnews.com/_news/2013/10/28/21213547-obama-admin-knew-millions-could-not-keep-their-health-insurance?lite

I got a letter…TWICE. The second was sent certified mail…I had to sign for it.

So, no, we can’t keep our insurance!

I don’t mean to say I told you so…

…but I told you so.

From the link…

Those getting the cancellation letters are often shocked and unhappy.

George Schwab, 62, of North Carolina, said he was “perfectly happy” with his plan from Blue Cross Blue Shield, which also insured his wife for a $228 monthly premium. But this past September, he was surprised to receive a letter saying his policy was no longer available. The “comparable” plan the insurance company offered him carried a $1,208 monthly premium and a $5,500 deductible.

And the best option he’s found on the exchange so far offered a 415 percent jump in premium, to $948 a month.

“The deductible is less,” he said, “But the plan doesn’t meet my needs. Its unaffordable.”
“I’m sitting here looking at this, thinking we ought to just pay the fine and just get insurance when we’re sick,” Schwab added. “Everybody’s worried about whether the website works or not, but that’s fixable. That’s just the tip of the iceberg. This stuff isn’t fixable.”

The important thing is that he any abortion or contraception George may need is covered.:rolleyes:

As long as an individual isn’t due a tax refund,the IRS,cannot collect the fine for noncompliance.They do not have the authority to garnish wages,places liens,etc.This is a not so well known loophole in this whole ACA debacle.

The plans have to cover so much now which on the surface seems ok but if you are an older couple, your plan has to include maternity care which older people don’t use.

I remember so many people saying Glenn Beck was a fear monger several years back when he warned of this very thing. Glenn posted video of Obama specifically stating that his goal was to have a single payer universal health care plan and to put the insurance companies out of business. Now it’s happening.

Whenever the government regulates the content of health insurance policies, it limits choices, and thereby drives up prices. It does this with a great many other things as well.

Obama committed a fraud when he sold his Obamacare to the American public, with all the slickness of a snake oil salesman.
“Those who like their plan can keep it” ; 'The price of health care will actually go down due to volume and efficiencies", “No tax increases”. ‘Everybody win, win, wins!!!’

There are more people receiving letters of cancellation than are signing up for the great opportunity to receive health care that they neither really needed nor can afford. The one good thing about all the glitches, and the endless loop of having the online service refer to the 1-800 and the 1-800 refer back to the online, is that people are still being sheltered from the sticker shock.

It was a nice idea for sure that everybody gets free health care.
And now that people are finding out that it is going to cost them their own plan which they already liked for a plan that is more expensive and offers things that they do not need, all with a much higher deductible, that is the price that has to be paid for a rather mediocre form of health care.

From the article:

George Schwab, 62, of North Carolina, said he was “perfectly happy” with his plan from Blue Cross Blue Shield, which also insured his wife for a $228 monthly premium.

Really? Something doesn’t sound right here.

High deductible, catastrophic care. Such coverage existed before Obamacare.

Once they assess interest on your over due taxes the IRS can penalize you for the unpaid interest on your taxes then come after you and ruin your credit. This idea is from radio shock jock Rush Limbaugh and it is wrong. Those who tangle with the IRS will pay in the long run.

At 62, for both him and his wife? Even a $5000 deductible under COBRA had me paying around double that at that age and just for myself. And it wasn’t even BCBS, which is considered the premier company few doctors refuse. After COBRA expired I needed to go ICHIPS and that was even higher. Through the exchanges I would pay about half of that, or about $300, but I’m not eligible.

However, as I’ve made some observations, I see that everyone in the 50-65 pays the same rate. That means the ones at 50 will probably see costlier plans (than the one they may have now) than ones at 64. Does this mean everything will equal out in, say, 10-15 years? We’ll see.

A bunch of bureaucratic thugs,If I protest,based on my religious convictions,what are they gonna do?Last time I checked,this was still a free country,oh wait,I forgot,O is changing all that!:mad:

You are comparing to COBRA? Seriously?

But, hey, you can assume the guy is lying. :rolleyes:

At 55, I was paying about about $400 for myself after COBRA. How’s that?

What do these guys want? Free gasoline too?

A) What in the world are you talking about?

B) Even if your COBRA quote mattered, the best this couple can get now is more than 2x what you just quoted.

The IRS will ruin you financially if you fail to pay your taxes. I knew a tax protestor that had his house foreclosed on by the mortgage company because his tax protesting created credit problems for him. Do not mess with the IRS or you will be sorry. :frowning:

From 26 USC § 5000A - Requirement to maintain minimum essential coverage
(g) Administration and procedure
(1) In general
The penalty provided by this section shall be paid upon notice and demand by the Secretary, and except as provided in paragraph (2), shall be assessed and collected in the same manner as an assessable penalty under subchapter B of chapter 68.
(2) Special rules
Notwithstanding any other provision of law—INDENT Waiver of criminal penalties
In the case of any failure by a taxpayer to timely pay any penalty imposed by this section, such taxpayer shall not be subject to any criminal prosecution or penalty with respect to such failure.
(B) Limitations on liens and levies
The Secretary shall not—INDENT file notice of lien with respect to any property of a taxpayer by reason of any failure to pay the penalty imposed by this section, or
(ii) levy on any such property with respect to such failure.
[/INDENT][/INDENT]The reference to subchapter B of chapter 68 mentioned above appears to refer to:

26 USC § 6671 - Rules for application of assessable penalties
(a) Penalty assessed as tax
The penalties and liabilities provided by this subchapter shall be paid upon notice and demand by the Secretary, and shall be assessed and collected in the same manner as taxes. Except as otherwise provided, any reference in this title to “tax” imposed by this title shall be deemed also to refer to the penalties and liabilities provided by this subchapter.
Won’t the IRS pay off any penalties and interest before starting to consider the current year tax amount? The point is that if you underpaid, they may not be able to put a lien on your property because of non-payment of the Obamacare penalty, but they sure would be able to put a lien on your property for the tax you didn’t pay (I assume they’ll deduct the Obamacare penalty before determining if you are short).

Why not start your own private, personal health insurance business - like this.
If you currently spend $300 per month on health insurance then put that aside in a different bank account and pay into it from your current account every month by standing order.
By the end of one year you’ll have an insurance policy worth $3,600. By the end of 10 years you’ll have a ‘policy’ worth $36,600, in 20 years $72,000. So your best health insurance is your own plus a change to a healthier lifestyle and diet with masses of easy physical exercise to keep you fit and healthy for longer. And the best thing of all is that you don’t lose the money you have paid on your ‘private health policy’ because all that money is still sitting in your 5 or 10 year savings account gathering interest, no less. Everyone could create a policy they could afford, both spouses and even their older children could have their own…:slight_smile:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.