Obama and Romney Hit Final Stretch Part 3

Continued

Pew: Yup, Romney's Leading in Early Voting
Guy Benson at Townhall
Nov 01, 2012 09:09 AM EST

Welcome to November. Earlier in the week, one of the oldest and most respected polling firms in America -- Gallup -- produced results based on thousands of voter contacts indicating that Mitt Romney is leading in national early voting by roughly six percentage points. Last night, another venerable polling outfit confirmed Gallup's findings with a survey of its own. From Pew Research:

*The Pew Research Center survey found that the race is even among all likely voters nationwide (47% Obama, 47% Romney). Unlike the last campaign, the race also is close among voters who say they have already voted. In the poll, conducted Oct. 24-28, 19% of likely voters say they have already voted; that is unchanged from the same week in the 2008 campaign (Oct. 23-26, 2008). Currently, Romney holds a seven-point edge among early voters (50% to 43%); because of the small sample, this lead is not statistically significant. At this point four years ago, Obama led John McCain by 19 points (53% to 34%) among early voters.*  

The overall sample was roughly 1700 voters, only about half the size of Gallup's pool, but resulting in nearly the exact same early voting outcome. In this case, Romney by seven. Gallup found that Obama led McCain by 15 points in early tallies at this stage in 2008; Pew puts the gap at 19 points, so their 2012 numbers represent a 26-point swing to the GOP ticket. That's...not insignificant. But what about in the swing states? The Washington Post reports that Obama has the lead in most (but not all) of the contested battlegrounds, but that Romney is hugely outpacing McCain's 2008 numbers. In brief, Republicans are narrowing the gap in Nevada, North Carolina and Iowa (where one new state poll gives Romney a slight overall lead, while another shows Obama winning). Romney is doing quite well in Colorado, where the GOP is actually leading Democrats, very much unlike last cycle. In Florida, Democrats have a small edge in the early totals, but nowhere near their 2008 levels:

*Democrats hold a narrow lead (43 percent to 41 percent) and are not on pace to match their 46-37 advantage from 2008. We are through four days of the eight-day period for in-person early voting, and while Democrats gained big on the first two days (Saturday and Sunday), they were unable to keep that pace on Monday and Tuesday. Democrat netted 73,000 vote from the first two days, but gained 28,000 votes on Monday and just 16,000 votes on Tuesday. Meanwhile, Republicans keep building their absentee lead, which stands at 70,000 votes. While Democrats won the combined early vote (absentee plus in-person) by more than 360,000 votes in 2008, they currently lead by about 49,000. That edge will grow over the next four days as Democrats build their in-person early voting lead (many more people vote in-person than absentee), but it’s unlikely to approach anywhere near 360,000.*  

The Romney campaign said today that they expect to win Florida's election day voters by double digits. In Virginia, counties that Obama won last time have seen a dramatic drop-off in absentee balloting; absentee "turnout" in Republican areas has slowed a bit, but not as much as Democrat territory. Finally, there's Ohio. Public polling shows Obama with a large lead, but there's no way to verify that. Republicans say the raw numbers don't bear out that big Obama advantage:

*“The Gallup numbers nationally confirm what we think is happening here in Ohio,” says one Romney official. “It’s two things. One, their margin of victory in early voting is greatly diminished — drastically diminished. And two, they are having a very difficult time generating enthusiasm among young people.” Asked for evidence to support those claims, the official cited a Romney tally showing absentee and early voting is ten percent higher in counties McCain won in 2008 than in counties Obama won. He also pointed to sluggish early voting in the Toledo area, which Obama won in ’08, and particularly energetic early voting in the Cincinnati area, which McCain won. In addition, the official argues that Republicans are “outperforming our share of voter registration in absentee requests and early votes” and that the GOP has “closed the gap on Democrats’ historical absentee and early vote advantage for 20 of the past 21 days.” * 

Has that gap closed enough to stem Obama's pre-election day tide and tee up a Romney win at the ballot box day-of? The answer to that question, ladies and gents, may very well determine the 2012 presidential election. One alternate route to 270 for Romney involves Wisconsin, which was tied as of late last week. Then came Marquette's latest poll, which shows Obama ahead by eight -- a seven-point jump in approximately one week. Wisconsin insiders smell a sampling rat. Even so, just when you think Wisconsin may be slipping away (I've heard the opposite from folks on the ground there, by the way), an elected Democrat says this:

*Hancock even broke news on that Wisconsin trip, telling voters if the election were to be held right now the president would lose Wisconsin and its coveted 10 electoral votes. ... “We have not turned out the vote early,” Hancock told the newspaper. “The suburbs and rural parts of Wisconsin – the Republican base – are voting. President Obama’s base has yet to go vote. We’ve got to get our people to go vote.”*  

No, no! False, protests Team Obama. I guess we'll wait and see won't we?

Still anyone’s game, as far as I can tell: realclearpolitics.com/epolls/2012/president/2012_elections_electoral_college_map.html

Obama/Biden 201
Toss-Up 146
Romney/Ryan 191

[quote="qui_est_ce, post:1, topic:303759"]
Continued

[/quote]

We were just waiting for you to open Round 3! :D

[quote="rlg94086, post:3, topic:303759"]
Still anyone's game, as far as I can tell: realclearpolitics.com/epolls/2012/president/2012_elections_electoral_college_map.html

Obama/Biden 201
Toss-Up 146
Romney/Ryan 191

[/quote]

It's not over until the fat lady sings!

Leave Hillary out of it. She already took the blame for Libya. :wink:

[quote="Rich_Olszewski, post:4, topic:303759"]

[/quote]

Rich, I honestly can't wait for this thing to be over. I miss all my college football shows on ESPN and the Big Ten Network. I started a book on Padre Pio and its taken me three days to get through Chapter 2 (did it on the Metro).

personalliberty.com/2012/11/01/christians-will-empower-a-romney-landslide/

Interesting article from the 2008 Libertarian Vice Presidential nominee, Wayne Allyn Root. He's predicting a Romney landslide because of religious voters. He isn't a pollster, he's a Vegas oddsmaker , so obviously he isn't to be taken as truth, but an interesting read nonetheless.

[quote="rlg94086, post:6, topic:303759"]
Leave Hillary out of it. She already took the blame for Libya. ;)

[/quote]

Oh my goodness. You just set yourself up for multiple attacks by the politically correct. I take it as a joke, but I have thick skin (courtesy of my profession). Call me anything you want, but never call me late for dinner.

[quote="SalesianSDB, post:8, topic:303759"]
personalliberty.com/2012/11/01/christians-will-empower-a-romney-landslide/

Interesting article from the 2008 Libertarian Vice Presidential nominee, Wayne Allyn Root. He's predicting a Romney landslide because of religious voters. He isn't a pollster, he's a Vegas oddsmaker , so obviously he isn't to be taken as truth, but an interesting read nonetheless.

[/quote]

I always feel oddsmakers have access to inside baseball on every subject under the sun. Why not politics?

SurveyUSA poll for Nevada said Obama was up 4 points but the sample was 22% republican, 43% democrat and 33% independent. Was 38% and the enthusiasm for democrats is not where it was in 2008

Wisconsin: Obama 49%, Romney 49% - Ramussen

Tough News for Obama in Early Voting Figures

Romney Holds Massive Lead Over Obama With Independent Voters

A new Resurgent Republic poll shows Mitt Romney continues to hold a massive lead over Barack Obama.
Mitt leads by 12 points with independent voters.

[quote="Tampa_Dave, post:9, topic:303759"]
Oh my goodness. You just set yourself up for multiple attacks by the politically correct.

[/quote]

" I won't even dignify that remark by attempting to respond to it," sniffed Rich, looking down his nose at Robert's remark. "Not even with a stuck-out tongue." ;)

Ohio Wenzel Strategies poll Obama 46%, Romney 49%

32% republican; 37% democrat; 30% independent

Stephanie Cutter on MSNBC leaves North Carolina off her list of battleground states

youtube.com/watch?v=KROcC3VgeLo

GOP pollster: Romney up in Ohio, closing the gap in Wisconsin

Iowa: Romney 49%, Obama 48%

Rasmussen has Romney leading in OH, NH, NC, Fl, IA, VA, CO, tied in WI, down in NV

Interaxtive elections atlas may show turn out impact of storm sandy

3 polls from Iowa came out today, 2 show Romney with small lead

[quote="Rich_Olszewski, post:4, topic:303759"]

[/quote]

:D

GOP pollster: Romney up in Ohio, closing the gap in Wisconsin

From the article:

Partisan polls should be viewed with some skepticism, and both polls put Romney in a better position than most publicly available data has shown. Obama has a small but steady lead in most Ohio polls, and a slightly wider lead in Wisconsin.

The polls also show Senate GOP candidates in better shape in the two states than recent public polling has suggested. Ohio state Treasurer Josh Mandel (R) leads Sen. Sherrod Brown (D-Ohio) by 50 to 45 percent in the poll, and former Wisconsin Gov. Tommy Thompson (R) edges Rep. Tammy Baldwin (D-Wis.) by 47 to 45 percent. Recent public polling has shown Brown with a comfortable lead and Baldwin holding a narrow lead over Thompson.

[quote="Rich_Olszewski, post:12, topic:303759"]
" I won't even dignify that remark by attempting to respond to it," sniffed Rich, looking down his nose at Robert's remark. "Not even with a stuck-out tongue." ;)

[/quote]

:p :D

I have a bad feeling that this coming election is going to become another drawn out ballot counting fiasco like the one we had in Florida's chad counting ordeal when Bush won over Gore. It seems that the state of Ohio has something called a "Provisional Ballot"... That means that the voters using them are to be reviewed over the legality of their voting rights after the fact and that sounds like a prescription for nothing but trouble if you ask me.

'Nuther words... if Romney doesn't win in a landslide, there will be a long drawn out vote counting nightmare involving massive legal manipulations for partisan reasons and we won't know the results for several weeks after the election day.

It just stinks... that Democratic Party vote manipulators are using this as some sort of contingency plan as sour grapes for their defeat in the Bush-Gore election, which was a legitimate election. They need illegal votes to win. How messed up is that...?!

Maso

An Opus Dei numerary sent me this at the end of an e-mail a few minutes ago. Food for thought.

PS and let us pray that Catholics vote their conscience next Tuesday. I like what Russell Shaw wisely wrote in his piece in the recent issue of The Herald: too many Catholics have been blinded by the error of ‘moral equivalency’: *“It’s the error of imagining all moral values carry the same weight or, at least, can be applied in much the say way. This fallacy passes over the difference between norms that allow no exceptions (“intrinsic evils”) and those that call for ‘prudential’ judgments – which admit of differences – on how to achieve agreed-upon good ends. The teaching that direct abortion is always and everywhere wrong is an example of the first, while finding a way to provide quality health care foe everyone while holding down soaring health care costs is an instance of the second.” *

Mr. Goode said, “We want to get as many votes nationally as possible, and I hope before Election Day, Americans will look at Romney and Obama and realize they are controlled by millionaires and billionaires, and say you know what, we don’t want either one of them.”

Goode will get at least 1% of the popular vote. It's sad that pro-life candidates don't get the catholic vote. The world has been handed over to the devil couldn't be clearer in this election.

The teaching that direct abortion is always and everywhere wrong is an example of the first, while finding a way to provide quality health care foe everyone while holding down soaring health care costs is an instance of the second.”

Funny how GOP Catholics so easily overlook Romney's pro-abortion stance who believes that legalized abortion and gay adoption are a state's right.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.