Obama Approval at New Low - 42%

"The Rasmussen Reports daily Presidential Tracking Poll for Wednesday shows that 24% of the nation's voters Strongly Approve of the way that Barack Obama is performing his role as president. Forty-four percent (44%) Strongly Disapprove, giving Obama a Presidential Approval Index rating of -20 (see trends).

Forty-eight percent (48%) of Democrats Strongly Approve while 75% of Republicans Strongly Disapprove. Among those not affiliated with either major party, 12% Strongly Approve and 52% Strongly Disapprove.

Overall, 42% of voters say they at least somewhat approve of the president's performance. That’s the lowest level of approval yet recorded for this president. Fifty-seven percent (57%) now disapprove. Those are the lowest ratings yet recorded for this president. The president’s approval rating has held steady in the 46% - 47% range for six months and it remains to be seen whether this new low is merely statistical noise or the start of a lasting change. "

And on other subjects:

"Heading into the speech, 30% of voters gave President Obama good or excellent marks for handling the oil spill. Forty-five percent (45%) said he was doing a poor job. Most voters (57%) still favor offshore oil drilling.

On another topic, most Americans (53%) continue to believe the bailout of General Motors and Chrysler was a bad idea. "

rasmussenreports.com/public_content/politics/obama_administration/daily_presidential_tracking_poll

Has Obama met his Waterloo in the Gulf of Mexico?

That high? Someone's not paying attention.

Meanwhile, buyer’s remorse rises amongst Democrats :smiley:

Only 48% of Democrats ‘strongly approve’ because he has refused to stand up to the radical right wing members of Congress that have ran this country for 30 years. Many of us were hoping that we were voting in a true progressive.

However, despite all of this, I still ‘approve’. Just not strongly.

On another topic, the fact that 57% of Americans still support offshore drilling is maddening and discouraging. I have to wonder about these numbers or who these people are. They are certainly not my friends, family, coworkers or even people that I meet in a coffee shop, Church or on the street.

[quote="jjdrury81, post:4, topic:202155"]
Only 48% of Democrats 'strongly approve' because he has refused to stand up to the radical right wing members of Congress that have ran this country for 30 years. Many of us were hoping that we were voting in a true progressive.

However, despite all of this, I still 'approve'. Just not strongly.

[/quote]

Hate to break it to you, but not all people who call themselves "Democrat" think like you do. From Gallup:

"There is an important distinction in the respective ideological compositions of the Republican and Democratic Parties. While a solid majority of Republicans are on the same page -- 73% call themselves conservative -- Democrats are more of a mixture. The major division among Democrats is between self-defined moderates (40%) and liberals (38%). However, an additional 22% of Democrats consider themselves conservative, much higher than the 3% of Republicans identifying as liberal."

gallup.com/poll/120857/conservatives-single-largest-ideological-group.aspx

So you see, people who are far left like you are are actually a minority of even Democrats (only 38%). That is why only 48% of Democrats strongly approve Obama - not because he is not far enough left, but because he is way too far left.

BTW, how do you feel about the fact that 22% of Democrats consider themselves conservative? ;)

[quote="Brooklyn, post:6, topic:202155"]

BTW, how do you feel about the fact that 22% of Democrats consider themselves conservative? ;)

[/quote]

I say that on here nearly every day and everyone thinks I am crazy.

[quote="Lycorth, post:3, topic:202155"]
Meanwhile, buyer's remorse rises amongst Democrats :D

[/quote]

I wonder how much remorse is being felt among those foolish so-called Catholics who voted for this goon? I guess we'll get some idea in November. I can't wait to hear, or not hear like in 2008, the warning sermons as we get closer to the election.

You can call yourself conservative all you want, but anyone who thinks Jimmy Carter was a great president and that Obama is not far enough left, is definitely not a conservative.

[quote="Bob_Aliano, post:8, topic:202155"]
I wonder how much remorse is being felt among those foolish so-called Catholics who voted for this goon? I guess we'll get some idea in November. I can't wait to hear, or not hear like in 2008, the warning sermons as we get closer to the election.

[/quote]

I think many Catholics are feeling remorse for voting for Obama. Last winter I was talking to one of the Sisters for Life, and she told me they get calls from Catholics who say how much they regret voting for Obama, and that they realize they need to confess it.

That was in December. I wonder how much truer that is now.

I think that you misinterpreted what I said.

I apologize.

What I meant to say was that I frequently point out that many Democrats are, in fact, conservative. Think Blanche Lincoln.

I do not, in any way shape or form, consider myself a conservative. Far from it.

BP wanted to drill for oil of the coast of LA at 500 feet the Governor of LA approved it; the feds said NO!; you must drill deeper. So the Federal Government must take 50% of the blame but they won’t they’re blame BP and President Bush.

Just like Freddie and Fanny they blamed Bush even that we know it was liberal Democrats that caused it.

Only 48% of Democrats 'strongly approve' because he has refused to stand up to the radical right wing members of Congress that have ran this country for 30 years. Many of us were hoping that we were voting in a true progressive.

[/quote]

No "radical right wing members of Congress" have run this country for 30 years. That's a patently ridiculous statement; first of all, "radical" means "far left" and if extreme rightists "ran" America for thirty years, we'd have a very different country than we do now.

As far as offshore oil drilling is concerned, I'm in support of the idea. Just because BP made a mess of things doesn't invalidate the concept of drilling for our oil and taking responsibility for ourselves for a change. Otherwise, we might as well ban automobiles because plenty of people can't drive them responsibly.

[quote="Bob_Aliano, post:8, topic:202155"]

[/quote]

Haha, indeed. I can't imagine how a person can call himself or herself "Catholic" and vote for a far-left, pro-abortion, non-Catholic candidate with questionable citizenship status and political affiliations. Common sense isn't common anymore.

P.T. Barnum was right.

[quote="jjdrury81, post:11, topic:202155"]
I think that you misinterpreted what I said.

I apologize.

What I meant to say was that I frequently point out that many Democrats are, in fact, conservative. Think Blanche Lincoln.

I do not, in any way shape or form, consider myself a conservative. Far from it.

[/quote]

Correction noted, and I apologize. Thank you.

[quote="jjdrury81, post:5, topic:202155"]
On another topic, the fact that 57% of Americans still support offshore drilling is maddening and discouraging. I have to wonder about these numbers or who these people are. They are certainly not my friends, family, coworkers or even people that I meet in a coffee shop, Church or on the street.

[/quote]

We've had ONE major offshore drilling accident in the gulf in the past half century. The people who want to stop offshore drilling now are the same ones who refused to fly after 9/11.

[/quote]

So you're a Catholic and support communism, despite what the Catechism teaches?

Hardly a conservative by any stretch.

[quote="stanmaxkolbe, post:12, topic:202155"]
BP wanted to drill for oil of the coast of LA at 500 feet the Governor of LA approved it; the feds said NO!; you must drill deeper. So the Federal Government must take 50% of the blame but they won’t they’re blame BP and President Bush.

Just like Freddie and Fanny they blamed Bush even that we know it was liberal Democrats that caused it.

[/quote]

This reminds me a bit of back when Carter resolutely kept oil and gas regulated. Price controls caused shortages. But deep deposits were not price controlled. I'm not too far from Oklahoma here, and a fair number of locals own mineral rights in the Anadarko Basin. I remember the frustration they expressed when the oil companies would drill through layer after layer of oil and gas, but sealing them off, in order to reach the deep deposits exclusively. Incredibly stupid, but a pretty good illustrator of how government policies can have absurd results.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.