Obama Approval Rating Same as George W. Bush

Yes, it's true - Obama is neck and neck with George W. Bush in approval ratings according to Rasmussen:

"Fifty-one percent (51%) of voters have a favorable opinion of former president Bill Clinton. Forty-five percent (45%) say the same about former president George W. Bush.

Overall, 45% of voters say they at least somewhat approve of the president's performance. Fifty-four percent (54%) disapprove. "

Also, FWIW, Obama's approval index is at -17%: "The Rasmussen Reports daily Presidential Tracking Poll for Tuesday shows that 24% of the nation's voters Strongly Approve of the way that Barack Obama is performing his role as president. Forty-one percent (41%) Strongly Disapprove, giving Obama a Presidential Approval Index rating of -17."

rasmussenreports.com/public_content/politics/obama_administration/daily_presidential_tracking_poll

Something tells me that as Obama goes down in approval, GWB will go up. ;)

[quote="Brooklyn, post:1, topic:202029"]
Something tells me that as Obama goes down in approval, GWB will go up. ;)

[/quote]

I wouldn't think that. One has nothing to do with the other. I would say however, that people have placed too much responsibility in the government for something out of their control. People expect Obama, literally, to fix the nation after nearly a decade of damaging policies and deficits. If we recover at all I think we're making steps in the right direction. No politician would have a better answer for the problems this administration has faced.

[quote="lynx, post:2, topic:202029"]
I wouldn't think that. One has nothing to do with the other. I would say however, that people have placed too much responsibility in the government for something out of their control. People expect Obama, literally, to fix the nation after nearly a decade of damaging policies and deficits. If we recover at all I think we're making steps in the right direction. No politician would have a better answer for the problems this administration has faced.

[/quote]

"No politician would have a better answer" to defecit spending than MORE defecit spending?

I was listening to Sirius left last night. A caller to Mark Thompson's show actually lauded Carter era tax rates, and wanted the top bracket to go back to 75%. 75%!!! Think about adding Social Security Tax, Medicare, sales, local, state income, and real estate, and gasoline taxes on top of that federal rate.

The host agreed with him.

[quote="scipio337, post:3, topic:202029"]
"No politician would have a better answer" to defecit spending than MORE defecit spending?

[/quote]

I don't agree with the bailouts and stimulus but I can see why he did it. The bailouts were used to stop a potential depression, which it might have done. Assuming the banks were to fall would we have been better off? Maybe. The stimulus was done to foster job creation. Small increases to GDP, hopefully through the stimulus, could have easily generated hundreds of thousands of jobs, except that ensuring the money was spent properly wasn't well regulated. The spending of the money, short term, was used to foster more permanent growth and recovery, long term. Would slash and burn work better? Maybe. But I didn't really hear a good answer from any political party regarding the coming recession. So, thoughtful spending is just as good as slash and burn imo.

[quote="scipio337, post:3, topic:202029"]
I was listening to Sirius left last night. A caller to Mark Thompson's show actually lauded Carter era tax rates, and wanted the top bracket to go back to 75%. 75%!!! Think about adding Social Security Tax, Medicare, sales, local, state income, and real estate, and gasoline taxes on top of that federal rate.

The host agreed with him.

[/quote]

I'm taxed enough already thanks. But, i'm not foolish enough to think that programs that the public cries for, like nationalized health care (which might be contrary to conservative belief), isn't going to come without taxes. So, with more people taking from social security and medicare (baby boomers) and less people with jobs to support the programs, what do people think is going to happen? Either taxes will be raised, acceptance criteria will increase, or they'll artificially prop up the program like the banks. Now, which option will get the party re-elected come 2012. . .

Short and sweet, someone tell me what the better answer is and why because I don't see it.

[quote="lynx, post:4, topic:202029"]
Short and sweet, someone tell me what the better answer is and why because I don't see it.

[/quote]

Spending cuts, like most states are doing. States can't print more money, or sell treasury bonds to raise cash like the Feds can to raise cash. With decreased tax revenues (mirroring federal), the states realize they can only marginally increase taxes here and there without increasing the damage.

I really like Chris Christie.

Then again, I'm more of an Austrian school than a Keynesian.

Edit to add: I've always thought of the President and the economy being a lot like a head coach and a pro football team: They get too much credit when things are good, and too much criticism when things are bad.

This poll proves that at least 45% of Americans have never watched Glenn Beck. No one can watch Glenn for a week and remain positive about the Alinsky disciple in the White House. :shrug: Rob

[quote="RACJ, post:6, topic:202029"]
This poll proves that at least 45% of Americans have never watched Glenn Beck. No one can watch Glenn for a week and remain positive about the Alinsky disciple in the White House. :shrug: Rob

[/quote]

How can anyone watch Glenn Beck at all?

youtube.com/watch?v=Kj4I2f0ZO6g

[quote="scipio337, post:5, topic:202029"]

Then again, I'm more of an Austrian school than a Keynesian.

[/quote]

:thumbsup:

I don't agree with the bailouts and stimulus but I can see why he did it. The bailouts were used to stop a potential depression, which it might have done. Assuming the banks were to fall would we have been better off? Maybe. The stimulus was done to foster job creation.

[/quote]

Net effect of all that Bush stimulus (tax cuts, wars, Medicare D, tax rebates, TARP) and now Obama's stimulus:

0 job growth through the entire decade.

But, i'm not foolish enough to think that programs that the public cries for, like nationalized health care **(which might be contrary to conservative belief), isn't going to come without **taxes.

[/quote]

LOL, WHUT? :confused:

It's ok, you can come out from under the rock.

Bet Obama never thought he'd be just like Bush.

[quote="ProVobis, post:7, topic:202029"]
How can anyone watch Glenn Beck at all?

youtube.com/watch?v=Kj4I2f0ZO6g

[/quote]

I'm a conservative who loves listening to Michael Savage, Sean Hannity, and Mark Levin. However, Glenn Beck I canNOT stand to watch or listen to (I've seen his show once and I was so annoyed just by his stage presence alone, his radio show isn't much better, imho).

Back onto topic, why blame Obama for any of this since he didn't create it? Well, considering how Europe's spending crisis has come to a head and we have watched and read about it across the pond, and Obama always seems to praise "European" ways, I can see why his approval rating is tanking. People are finally starting to wake up and get a basic education in BS and in economics.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.