Obama ban on deepwater drilling overturned

Judge sides with industry, which opposed six-month moratorium.......

Judge sides with industry

Actually, the judge approved the entry of an injunction preventing the law from taking effect.

I expect the government to appeal.

At least someone is looking at the bigger picture!

One plane crashes! halt all manufacturing of of new planes?
One car crashes! halt all manufacturing of of new cars?
One oil rig explodes? halt all construction of new oil rigs!
One oil rig leaks? halt all drilling from all rigs!

District Judge Martin Feldman said the Interior Department failed to provide adequate reasoning and that the moratorium seems to assume that because one rig failed, all companies and rigs doing deepwater drilling pose an imminent danger.

This knee jerk reaction of the Obama administration to halt operation of existing, producing rigs is just plain idiotic and likely a greater economic disaster for America than the spill itself.

During a two-hour hearing Monday, plaintiffs' attorney Carl Rosenblum had argued that the suspension could prove more economically devastating than the spill itself. "This is an unprecedented industrywide shutdown. Never before has the government done this," Rosenblum said.

If all drilling is to be halted, then how will the relief wells be drilled?

A pair of relief wells considered the best chance at a permanent fix won't be completed until August.

The judge said:

*The court is unable to divine or fathom a relationship between the findings and the immense scope of the moratorium,” Feldman said in his 22-page decision. “The blanket moratorium, with no parameters, seems to assume that because one rig failed and although no one yet fully knows why, all companies and rigs drilling new wells over 500 feet also universally present an imminent danger.” *

This ban was just another example of the Obama regimes war on science

[quote="estesbob, post:4, topic:202858"]
The judge said:

*The court is unable to divine or fathom a relationship between the findings and the immense scope of the moratorium,” Feldman said in his 22-page decision. “The blanket moratorium, with no parameters, seems to assume that because one rig failed and although no one yet fully knows why, all companies and rigs drilling new wells over 500 feet also universally present an imminent danger.” *

[/quote]

The scope of the moratorium mirrors the scope of the disaster. No one knows why it happened AND the agency charged with regulating the existing rigs has reportedly been in bed with the industry. But of course, life must go on, money must be made and what would happen to civilization if we could not fill up our gas guzzlers? The real cost of these pursuits don't seem to figure in the equation.

Maybe we should wait for an even bigger oil rig disaster so we can have even more reason to blame the government for incompetence!

The judge's reported comparisons with plane crashes and train crashes fails on more than one front: a plane falls out of the sky, it gets to the ground and we deal with it; debris and jet fuel do not continue to rain down from the sky causing mayhem. Same for a train crash. We know those are self-limited incidents, so we can continue to fly or ride while we investigate reasons for the crash.The oil spill is not a self-limited incident and monumentally greater in scope.

Forget science, this ruling is a war on logic and reason.

P.S.: I would have thought the basis of the moratorium would have been obvious: we have clearly demonstrated inability to fix spills at those depths. Heck, we can't even tell how much oil is really leaking after two months! The problem is not whether or when other rigs will fail - the problem is we have no business busting stuff we don't know how to fix.

Besides, didn't Toyota have to recall millions of vehicles even if it couldn't pinpoint the exact cause of the problem - at great cost to the company and very likely to the people dependent on them for a livelihood? Guess they have some handle on the value of human lives - belated though it may have come!

Has there been such an enormous lesson that was forgotten so quickly?

This has got to be a record.

Whatever, to hell with it, drill baby drill, right?

[quote="estesbob, post:4, topic:202858"]
The judge said:

[/quote]

The relationship, of course, is that this administration's goal is to curtail energy production and increase its cost to Americans through that and through additional taxation. There really is some green in our rulers' blood.

This takes me back. I remember Jimmy Carter sitting in the chilly White House with that stupid sweater on, telling us all, in effect, that we just need to drive 55 mph in tin can cars and freeze our rear ends off in the dark. I remember all of the "alternative energy" subsidies, all of whose products are now under many feet of landfill.

Ahh and now it comes out that the judge has a slight conflict of interests. Apparently he's had holdings in Transocean at least as recently as '08, stock in Halliburton, Prospect Energy, Hercules Offshore, Parker Drilling Co., and ATP Oil & Gas.

Well don't that just beat all?

motherjones.com/blue-marble/2010/06/judge-moratorium-case-stock-transocean

This decision is bizarre to me. We have a major disaster the cause of which is still not really known. The disaster occured in a regulated industry that requires the government's approval to operate. The government orders a 6 month moratorium. I can see why someone would say that is bad policy. In fact, I'm not sure I agree with the policy. But I don't see how it can be said to be arbitrary or capricious.

[quote="ConcernedApathy, post:8, topic:202858"]
Ahh and now it comes out that the judge has a slight conflict of interests. Apparently he's had holdings in Transocean at least as recently as '08, stock in Halliburton, Prospect Energy, Hercules Offshore, Parker Drilling Co., and ATP Oil & Gas.

Well don't that just beat all?

motherjones.com/blue-marble/2010/06/judge-moratorium-case-stock-transocean

[/quote]

I'm not sure it does. Could be some of those companies might actually benefit from the moratorium. For absolute certain, some oil companies will.

Wonder if those who think there was a conflict of interest will say the same thing if some judge up the appeal chain has "green" affiliations in his/her background. Likely not.

Might be the government simply didn't prove its case. Its performance so far does not seem to persuade that it truly understands deep water drilling, and it might not have been able to show how there is any peril to it beyond its own belief that it might be perilous and that somehow six months of looking at it might make some difference.

[quote="seekerz, post:5, topic:202858"]
The scope of the moratorium mirrors the scope of the disaster. No one knows why it happened AND the agency charged with regulating the existing rigs has reportedly been in bed with the industry. But of course, life must go on, money must be made and what would happen to civilization if we could not fill up our gas guzzlers? The real cost of these pursuits don't seem to figure in the equation.

Maybe we should wait for an even bigger oil rig disaster so we can have even more reason to blame the government for incompetence!

The judge's reported comparisons with plane crashes and train crashes fails on more than one front: a plane falls out of the sky, it gets to the ground and we deal with it; debris and jet fuel do not continue to rain down from the sky causing mayhem. Same for a train crash. We know those are self-limited incidents, so we can continue to fly or ride while we investigate reasons for the crash.The oil spill is not a self-limited incident and monumentally greater in scope.

Forget science, this ruling is a war on logic and reason.

P.S.: I would have thought the basis of the moratorium would have been obvious: we have clearly demonstrated inability to fix spills at those depths. Heck, we can't even tell how much oil is really leaking after two months! The problem is not whether or when other rigs will fail - the problem is we have no business busting stuff we don't know how to fix.

Besides, didn't Toyota have to recall millions of vehicles even if it couldn't pinpoint the exact cause of the problem - at great cost to the company and very likely to the people dependent on them for a livelihood? Guess they have some handle on the value of human lives - belated though it may have come!

[/quote]

Proforma attack on big business and greedy americans drving gas guzzlers duly noted.

We Have had one major rig disaster in 40 years. None of the experts Obama consulted recommened a ban although he claimed they did. You dont put 30,000 people out of work based on junk science.

[quote="TMC, post:9, topic:202858"]
This decision is bizarre to me. We have a major disaster the cause of which is still not really known. The disaster occured in a regulated industry that requires the government's approval to operate. The government orders a 6 month moratorium. I can see why someone would say that is bad policy. In fact, I'm not sure I agree with the policy. But I don't see how it can be said to be arbitrary or capricious.

[/quote]

Actuall they the cause is known-there was a surge in pressure and the BOP failed. Only those ignorant of the industry are naive enough to believe drilling is risk free. The epxerts Obama consluted (and ignored) knew this which is why none of them recommended a moratorium. There was no science behind the moratorium-just raw poltics.

White House press secretary Robert Gibbs countered that "continuing to drill at these depths without knowing what happened does not make any sense and ... potentially puts the safety of those on the rigs and the safety of the environment in the Gulf at a danger that the president does not believe we can afford right now."

I agree! We don't know what happened, we don't know why, we don't know how to fix it or what it will take to fix it, and it's STILL not fixed over a month later. Yeah, right, Heaven forbid deepwater drilling be banned for a short period to figure it out and prevent it from happening somewhere else. Bad bad bad Obama!!!!

Just goes to show you that nothing, no matter what he does, will pacificy the Obama-haters. In the meantime, yeah go drill for more oil in the deep waters until another "oops we don't know what that's all about, how'd that happen?" happens and they poison every living thing on this planet.

[quote="Ridgerunner, post:7, topic:202858"]
...This takes me back. I remember Jimmy Carter sitting in the chilly White House with that stupid sweater on, telling us all, in effect, that we just need to drive 55 mph in tin can cars and freeze our rear ends off in the dark. I remember all of the "alternative energy" subsidies, all of whose products are now under many feet of landfill.

[/quote]

Lol! I just remembered...we were all supposed to set our thermostats to 67 or lower in the winter---the White House thermostat read that it was 69 degrees, so they turned the air conditioners on.

I ain't no peanut farmer, but if you gave it a chance, the temp woulda dropped back down on its own-if shut off or turned down.

Brilliant.

God Bless.
+Jesus, I Trust In You.
Love, Dawn

[quote="Rence, post:13, topic:202858"]
I agree! We don't know what happened, we don't know why, we don't know how to fix it or what it will take to fix it, and it's STILL not fixed over a month later. Yeah, right, Heaven forbid deepwater drilling be banned for a short period to figure it out and prevent it from happening somewhere else. Bad bad bad Obama!!!!

Just goes to show you that nothing, no matter what he does, will pacificy the Obama-haters. In the meantime, yeah go drill for more oil in the deep waters until another "oops we don't know what that's all about, how'd that happen?" happens and they poison every living thing on this planet.

[/quote]

Maybe Obama should let them drill in shallow water where, if something like this were to happen, divers could go down and fix it in short order.

[quote="estesbob, post:12, topic:202858"]
Actuall they the cause is known-there was a surge in pressure and the BOP failed. Only those ignorant of the industry are naive enough to believe drilling is risk free. The epxerts Obama consluted (and ignored) knew this which is why none of them recommended a moratorium. There was no science behind the moratorium-just raw poltics.

[/quote]

OK, but that is an argument that this is bad policy. That is not the standard the judge is supposed to apply. The standard is whether the decision is arbitrary and capricious. That is a very high standard. I don't see how its met here.

[quote="TMC, post:16, topic:202858"]
OK, but that is an argument that this is bad policy. That is not the standard the judge is supposed to apply. The standard is whether the decision is arbitrary and capricious. That is a very high standard. I don't see how its met here.

[/quote]

What made it arbitray and capricious was he ingored the advice of the experts and imposed a policy that was going to devesate the economy of the Gulfcoast

[quote="estesbob, post:11, topic:202858"]
Proforma attack on big business and greedy americans drving gas guzzlers duly noted.

We Have had one major rig disaster in 40 years. None of the experts Obama consulted recommened a ban although he claimed they did. You dont put 30,000 people out of work based on junk science.

[/quote]

All it takes is one disaster (anyone living in the hurricane belt can tell you that).

Where you get the information for the assertion regarding the experts and the ban is not clear to me, but I love it when you give links to support your statements like you did recently in another thread..

Junk science/engineering is drilling where you can't plug a leak (excuse the layman's language) and then pretending it was an unavoidable accident. Somehow I don't seem to see much mention in these oil spill threads on the safety concerns on that rig prior to the spill or the reported failure of regulators to ensure adherence to industry standards.

That last: failed regulation, is squarely in the government's court and they have not only the authority but the responsibility to now make an industry-wide check to see who is and who is not compliant. That is simply commonsense.

The gulf is going to be recovering for generations it would seem, given that we have found no effective way so far to stop the leak. Might that consideration weigh a little bit against the 30,00 jobs you quoted, which to my knowledge are not permanently lost?

[quote="estesbob, post:17, topic:202858"]
What made it arbitray and capricious was he ingored the advice of the experts and imposed a policy that was going to devesate the economy of the Gulfcoast

[/quote]

Ok, so give another oil company a chance to wreak their own brand of devastation on the economy instead. Makes perfect sense. That would be kind of like Toyota saying: well, we have a great safety record and testing has not identified a problem so no need for a recall: just call us if you crash...

The judge pointed out, correctly, that the administration did not demonstrate that other wells were in danger of exploding- if such evidence was present, then a moratorium would have been proper. But just as we didn't shut down all flights over Buffalo after the crash last year because there was no suggestion that it was anything but an isolated incident, we shouldn't ban deep water drilling.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.