Obama detailing oil spill response in speech tonight

The president says the oil disaster "is the most painful and powerful reminder yet that the time to embrace a clean-energy future is now."

"I am happy to look at ... ideas and approaches from either party, as long they seriously tackle our addiction to fossil fuels," he said. "Some have suggested raising efficiency standards in our buildings like we did in our cars and trucks. Some believe we should set standards to ensure that more of our electricity comes from wind and solar power. Others wonder why the energy industry only spends a fraction of what the high-tech industry does on research and development, and want to rapidly boost our investments in such research and development.

"All of these approaches have merit, and deserve a fair hearing in the months ahead. But the one approach I will not accept is inaction. The one answer I will not settle for is the idea that this challenge is too big and too difficult to meet."

news.blogs.cnn.com/2010/06/15/obama-to-detail-oil-spill-response-in-speech-tonight/

Read the transcript of Obama's speech

Thoughts?

:confused: MSNBC, Olby, Matthews and Finemann are killing Olbama and the speech ... why?

After watching the President's speech, which is to address the worst man-made environmental disaster, I am left with the conclusion that the President will be a one-term President.

That speech showed no leadership, nor holding anyone accountable. I am left with the impression his hands are tied with a foreign owned corporation who has destroyed an ecosystem with in our nation. Guaranteed this will cost us taxpayers, as much money as it will BP.

Perhaps we have witnessed corporatism at its best.

I'm still holding on to see if he can turn into the president that I want him to be but this is not the speech I wanted to hear. It seemed more like lip service than anything. I don't detect any of the energy or excitement that he had when he got into office.

[quote="josephdavid, post:3, topic:202059"]

That speech showed no leadership, nor holding anyone accountable. I am left with the impression his hands are tied with a foreign owned corporation who has destroyed an ecosystem with in our nation. Guaranteed this will cost us taxpayers, as much money as it will BP.

[/quote]

Giving Obama an out? It isn't his fault. His hands are tied. It's those evil, greedy corporations. :rolleyes:

[quote="Suudy, post:5, topic:202059"]
Giving Obama an out? It isn't his fault. His hands are tied. It's those evil, greedy corporations. :rolleyes:

[/quote]

Nope. He has no excuse. His hands are tied by those greedy corporations because he allows to be.

Your last comment. Am I to assume you subscribe to corporatism and the impact these few multi-national corporation, in particular BP which is a foreign company, have on our government?

[quote="j1akey, post:4, topic:202059"]
I'm still holding on to see if he can turn into the president that I want him to be but this is not the speech I wanted to hear. It seemed more like lip service than anything. I don't detect any of the energy or excitement that he had when he got into office.

[/quote]

Honestly I do not want talk but action. I want this foreign company held accountable for the negligence they have shown and total disregard for our natural resources for the sake of their own profits.

I want the government officials responsible for oversight of rules and regulations to be held accountable.

How? Federally indited and tried. If found guilty; fined and imprisonment. Perhaps sieze the assets and sold off to another company which will have morallity and common sense. Not greed.

Wow. At this posting, already 129,195 comments.

"Obama declares 'reckless' BP will pay Gulf cleanup

WASHINGTON – Vowing to "make BP pay," President Barack Obama accused the oil giant of "recklessness" in his first address to the nation from the Oval Office Tuesday night, eight weeks to the day after the catastrophic oil spill began destroying waterways, wildlife and a prized Gulf Coast way of life."...

Entire article: news.yahoo.com/s/ap/us_gulf_oil_spill

[quote="josephdavid, post:6, topic:202059"]
Nope. He has no excuse. His hands are tied by those greedy corporations because he allows to be.

[/quote]

Ah! So Obama is weak-willed? And that's the kind of leader you voted for?

[quote="josephdavid, post:6, topic:202059"]
Your last comment. Am I to assume you subscribe to corporatism and the impact these few multi-national corporation, in particular BP which is a foreign company, have on our government?

[/quote]

Actually, no, I don't subscribe to corporatism. But neither do I think BP and other multi-national corporations are malevolent, money hungry entities that would sacrifice their own children to make a buck. Guess what? Average, normal people work at BP and other multi-national corporations. Unless you are accusing your peers of some evil plot to take over the world.... I think you are in the same realm as conspiracy theorists who think we never landed on the moon or that Elvis is an alien.

[quote="josephdavid, post:7, topic:202059"]
Honestly I do not want talk but action. I want this foreign company held accountable for the negligence they have shown and total disregard for our natural resources for the sake of their own profits.

[/quote]

How do you think they aren't being held accountable? Do you think they really won't get a bill from all the businesses impacted, clean-up work, and other costs associated with this spill?

I want the government officials responsible for oversight of rules and regulations to be held accountable.

[/quote]

Yeah, it takes two to tango. BP didn't make changes to the drill plan in a vacuum. They had approval from none other than Uncle Sam themselves. Perhaps you should accuse the government of the same "total disregard for our natural resources for the sake of their own profits"? If there was some greasing of palms, it wasn't an "evil corporation" that did it, but greedy individuals, on both sides, that did it.

How? Federally indited and tried. If found guilty; fined and imprisonment. Perhaps sieze the assets and sold off to another company which will have morallity and common sense. Not greed.

[/quote]

Ah, yes. Seize the assets of an entire corporation for an accident. Do you really think it was willful for BP to create this spill? Do you really think BP board of directors sat in a meeting and said:

"You know what, let's completely disregard the natural resources in the Gulf. We'll make more money if we ignore environmental procedures. Yeah, if there is a spill, well damn the Yankee's. We don't care as long as they keep buying our oil. A spill won't affect our ability to sell oil at all."

:rolleyes:

It's not so simple as you seem to think it to be. If you think this spill will have no negative effect on BP's bottom line, even if they don't pay a dime in cleanup, you have no understanding of how business operates.

[/quote]

And yet you promote big government, far left liberal agendas. You're beliefs brought us here. I know what you would like to see, you'd like to see a bunch of moral competent liberals in office, but no matter what corruption will set in and we will continue to see this sort of incompetent government stupidity.

Corporations, well they may make some stupid decisions sometimes. But, it's easy to take down a company compared to taking down a government. Plus as long as a corporations got money we have opportunity. As long as government takes money the less opportunity we have.

[quote="Suudy, post:9, topic:202059"]
Ah! So Obama is weak-willed? And that's the kind of leader you voted for?

[/quote]

Here is a little information for you. I did not vote for Obama.

[quote="josephdavid, post:12, topic:202059"]
Here is a little information for you. I did not vote for Obama.

[/quote]

Thanks be to God!

Now, if we can just get you to shed those leftists views...

[quote="Suudy, post:9, topic:202059"]

Actually, no, I don't subscribe to corporatism. But neither do I think BP and other multi-national corporations are malevolent, money hungry entities that would sacrifice their own children to make a buck. Guess what? Average, normal people work at BP and other multi-national corporations.

[/quote]

No problem as long as you admit they are completely liable for their actions or lack of them. And this is not limited to monetary compensation either. You can't put a dollar price tag on loss of human life or damage to the ecological balance of a particular area.

[quote="Suudy, post:13, topic:202059"]
Thanks be to God!

Now, if we can just get you to shed those leftists views...

[/quote]

What leftist views would that be?

[quote="ProVobis, post:14, topic:202059"]
No problem as long as you admit they are completely liable for their actions or lack of them. And this is not limited to monetary compensation either. You can't put a dollar price tag on loss of human life or damage to the ecological balance of a particular area.

[/quote]

:thumbsup:

No problem as long as you admit they are completely liable for their actions or lack of them.

[/quote]

I don't know if they are **completely **liable. After all, weren't they given permission by those supposedly involved in the oversight (aka the government) to change the way things are done? I think they certainly do bear a significant portion of the blame, and are thus responsible for most of the cleanup and recovery.

And I certainly don't think the disaster would have been as bad had the government (both federal and the states) responded more quickly. For example, had LA built the berms as soon as they wanted, the damage would have been as bad? What about the lack of boats and booms that the government supposedly had available?

Sorry, but BP isn't completely liable for the damage caused.

And this is not limited to monetary compensation either.

[/quote]

Really? Like what else? Should Hayward be tied to a post and flogged? Would that make you feel better?

You can't put a dollar price tag on loss of human life or damage to the ecological balance of a particular area.

[/quote]

If you can't put a dollar price tag on these things, then why do we even have wrongful death civil suits or fines imposed by the EPA? The only thing BP can do is fund cleanup and recovery efforts and compensate those harmed by this disaster.

But I'm sure Hayward can say a few Hail Mary's, pray a couple of Novenas, and feed some homeless folk. That should make up for it, no?

[quote="josephdavid, post:15, topic:202059"]
What leftist views would that be?

[/quote]

Gee, single payer, excessive government intervention. That's just a start.

[quote="Suudy, post:18, topic:202059"]
Gee, single payer, excessive government intervention. That's just a start.

[/quote]

Maybe you have not seen my posts on that subject. I had mentioned we can not afford single payer. I suggest that the government regulate it better than they have been.

What is excessive government intervention that I subscribe to?

[quote="josephdavid, post:19, topic:202059"]
Maybe you have not seen my posts on that subject. I had mentioned we can not afford single payer. I suggest that the government regulate it better than they have been.

[/quote]

Affordability is not the point. Even if the federal government suddenly won the Intergalactic Lottery for $170 quintillion dollars, single payer is problematic.

[quote="josephdavid, post:19, topic:202059"]
What is excessive government intervention that I subscribe to?

[/quote]

Obamacare? That's not government intervention?

What about suggesting that the government seize BP's assets? That's not government intervention?

What about unfunded mandates from Uncle Sam, such as Medicaid? That's not government intervention?

What about your support of federal solutions to poverty, hunger, and healthcare? That's not government intervention?

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.