Obama faults 'misinformation' from Fox News, Rush Limbaugh, blogs

CNN Money:

Obama faults ‘misinformation’ from Fox News, Rush Limbaugh, blogs

At a fundraiser in New York City, he cited political polarization and specifically called out the influence of conservative media. “This should not be a close election, but it will be. And the reason it will be is not because of Hillary’s flaws, but rather because, structurally, we’ve become a very polarized society,” Obama said Sunday.

He continued, “If all you’re doing is watching Fox News and listening to Rush Limbaugh and reading some of the blogs that are churning out a lot of misinformation on a regular basis, then it’s very hard for you to think that you’re going to vote for somebody who you’ve been told is taking the country in the wrong direction.”
“And so, structurally, we already have these divisions and it’s going to be hard to overcome those,” Obama said.

For the men and women who paid tens of thousands of dollars to attend the fundraiser, the implication was clear: We need your checks to help counter the conservative media narrative.
The fundraiser with about 65 attendees was held at restaurateur Danny Meyer’s home for the Democratic National Committee and Clinton’s joint fundraising committee.

The comments weren’t made on camera, but they were transcribed by reporters and the White House. If past coverage is any indication, Fox News will demonstrate outrage about the president’s comments. Limbaugh, the best known conservative radio talk show host in the country, is also likely to respond on Monday.

Should I be surprised at this?

I’m sure he immediately followed it up with a speech about how you shouldn’t watch msnbc for information on Hilary…

The president is correct.

A study done four years ago concluded that people who only listen to Fox News, are less informed than if they hadn’t watched news at all.

STUDY: Watching Only Fox News Makes You Less Informed Than Watching No News At All

Media outlets such as Fox News and MSNBC have a negative impact on people’s current events knowledge while NPR and Sunday morning political talk shows are the most informative sources of news, according to Fairleigh Dickinson University’s newest PublicMind survey.

Researchers asked 1,185 random nationwide respondents what news sources they had consumed in the past week and then asked them questions about events in the U.S. and abroad.

On average, people correctly answered 1.6 of 5 questions about domestic affairs.

Because the aim of the study was to isolate the effects of each type of news source, they then controlled for variables such as other news sources, partisanship, education and other demographic factors.

They found that someone who watched only Fox News would be expected to answer 1.04 domestic questions correctly compared to 1.22 for those who watched no news at all. Those watching only “The Daily Show with Jon Stewart” answered 1.42 questions correctly and people who only listened to NPR or only watched Sunday morning political talk shows answered 1.51 questions correctly.

businessinsider.com/study-watching-fox-news-makes-you-less-informed-than-watching-no-news-at-all-2012-5

Jim

:rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:

okay. I have a college education and common sense and can judge people really well. I had Obama figured out from day one and I have Hillary figured out. I can think for myself. I consider myself very well informed and I mainly listen to Hannity, Mark Levin and Rush. when I try to watch CNN or MSNBC I am struck by how misleading they are. so the more informed I am, the more I recognize the news cites I cannot trust for the truth or the journalists and news anchors I cannot trust.
the people on the left never cease to amaze me with their studies.

But fox is right wing. This is a right wing issue. Those on the right are just as immature as those on the left.

I added to my original post.

Apparently he thinks that people who don’t agree with him only watch Fox News and only listen to Rush.

He’s the one who is misinformed.:frowning:

Studies like this seem to exist largely to confirm the biases of the researchers. And let’s be honest, the social sciences are the least rigorous of the scientific disciplines.

But if you use the rights rhetoric. Every but Fox is liberal.

So you have a bunch of people who never listen to the only right wing network, who are nonetheless “informed” by all the other networks, colleges, other schools, Hollywood stars, and so forth, and whose thinking is therefore unadulterated.

And you have a bunch of other people that might actually prefer only to watch Fox News, but are nonetheless “informed” by all the other networks, colleges, other schools, Hollywood stars, and so forth, because you just can’t escape it.

It seems to me that what is being pushed here is that people who watch Fox News are more likely to “disagree” with the politically correct line, and therefore must be “uninformed”, despite the fact that they are continuously “correctly informed” by almost everybody else. In actuality, since they watch Fox News, they have additional information to help make a good decision.

:crying: Noooo! Rush Limbaugh and the word “blog” in a headline!

:eek: - make it go away!

:slight_smile: - or don’t … and I shall comment shortly.

:tiphat: 'Fun

Seriously,Obama and HC both need to get some new material.:rolleyes:

So true

On it’s face this comment doesn’t make any sense at all.Is the implication that Fox News only listeners are being indoctrinated?: :rolleyes:If so,that is laughable,since the mainstream media has been doing just that with their biased spin for generations!:cool:

Actually, the study does say that both Fox* and *MSNBC have a negative impact, so it’s not so much biased as… honestly probably pretty accurate. None of the national news agencies actually give a flip about the news. They’re only interested in promoting their position. You could argue about which of the two is worse, but neither of them is blameless.

What were the questions?

Maybe I am just being dense.How is listening to Fox or in this case,MSNBC any more negatively impacting the viewers than the other mainstream outlets?:confused::shrug:

I don’t think that it’s any worse, it’s just that those two were the ones focused on in the study.

ok,thanks

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.