Obama: Gulf spill 'echoes 9/11'

[LEFT]Sounding reflective as he heads into a bruising electoral season, President Barack Obama told POLITICO columnist Roger Simon that the Gulf disaster “echoes 9/11” because it will change the nation’s psyche for years to come.

Obama — facing mounting criticism of his handling of the BP gusher, even from longtime allies — vowed to make a “bold” push for a new energy law even as the calamity continues to unfold. And he said he will use the rest of his presidency to try to put the United States on a course toward a “new way of doing business when it comes to energy.”

“In the same way that our view of our vulnerabilities and our foreign policy was shaped profoundly by 9/11,” the president said in an Oval Office interview on Friday, "I think this disaster is going to shape how we think about the environment and energy for many years to come.”

Read more: http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0610/38468.html#ixzz0qmWdl0L7

Do you agree?

[/LEFT]

Mr. Obama seems to lack a sense of perspective.

There have been worse oil spills in the Gulf of Mexico. [See the Weekly Standard article I posted.] And FAR worse oil spills in other parts of the world.

weeklystandard.com/articles/how-think-about-oil-spills

About a dozen people were killed in the Gulf spill. Total cost might be $3-4 billion by the time it's over. BP and the companies it has partnered with will pay all the damages. BP alone had profits last year of around $15 billion. So the cost is do-able.

3000 people were killed on 9/11. The crater at the World Trade Center still has not been fixed. it is 16 square blocks. Almost ten years later and still not fixed. They fixed the Pentagon, but they worked around the clock for a year. Total cost for the repairs and reconstruction will probably be $30 billion for the WTC by the time they are finished.

There is absolutely no comparability. In any way shape or form. Not even close.

He just makes stuff up as he goes along.

Mr. Obama also said he wants $50 billion for state budget aid, which is another made-up number.

He has absolutely NO understanding of numbers at all; he just throws numbers around.

Some people have suggested that President Obama's ineffectual handling of the Gulf spill could be his "Bay of Rigs" or his equivalent of President Jimmy Carter's botching of the Iranian Hostage Crisis that dragged on for 444 days and which was finally resolved by President Reagan in one day.

Sorry, I don't think anything compares to 9/11 as that was direct aggression against Americans on American soil. And Bush used the event to create a fear card and bolster himself in the polls. Not a conspiracy theory. Those are facts.

To be fair, though, FDR could have been accused of the same thing.

Keep in mind that the 9/11 terrorist attacks led to the U.S. removing the Taliban from Afghanistan in early 2002, followed by our continuing military activity there. AND a war in Iraq. And taking Libya's nuclear weapons materials. Ten years of intense military and diplomatic activity, plus totally restructuring homeland security.

In the Gulf of Mexico, there are two relief wells that are already drilled half way to where they need to be. They're saying August to complete, but they're moving pretty fast.

Environmental damage: oil tends to break up pretty quickly based on past experience. Read the Weekly Standard article. Check on the other really bad oil spills in terms of environmental damage and size of the spills.

Comparable to 9/11? I don't think so. Even with the news media whipping this up into a frenzy with close ups of birds with oil in their feathers.

The cost to rebuild the World Trae Center? They originally said $10 billion, but it's really dragging out. The Pentagon cost around one billion to repair. Maybe more.

There is absolutely no comparability. In any way shape or form. Not even close.

Everytime, Mr. Obama says something, it just suggests that he has no sense of reality.

Yet when W opened his mouth a sense of truth, understanding and pure concentrated genius appeared?

W had some unique seemingly malapropisms. Misunderestimated. Bring to Justice.

But it was more than the speech patterns.

It was the response patterns.

Instead of stamping his foot like Mr. Obama or doing something inappropriate [sending in SWAT teams to the oil rigs … what on earth???], W sent in a guy named Berntsen to Afghanistan and in two months routed the Taliban. [Then the bureaucrats took over] But read “Jawbreaker” (check it out on Amazon).

When W landed on that aircraft carrier, we learned that he had actually been a fighter pilot for a few years in his youth.

W seemed to say, “what can we do to make this right, to fix this”.

O just seems to act angry and is not even persuasive at that. O just doesn’t seem to have any instinctive way to do teamwork to achieve things. He relies on people like Rahm Emanuel “Never let a crisis go to waste”. I’m beginning to think the only competent person on O team is Hillary Clinton. I mean Janet Napolitano and some of the others seemingly don’t even know how to read. Seriously, they criticized the Arizona immigration but then said they hadn’t actually read it. And the Treasury Secretary said he’s not good at math and had actually not paid his taxes.

Problems he created int he first place - Iraq & Afghanistan.

O just seems to act angry and is not even persuasive at that. O just doesn’t seem to have any instinctive way to do teamwork to achieve things. He relies on people like Rahm Emanuel “Never let a crisis go to waste”. I’m beginning to think the only competent person on O team is Hillary Clinton. I mean Janet Napolitano and some of the others seemingly don’t even know how to read. Seriously, they criticized the Arizona immigration but then said they hadn’t actually read it. And the Treasury Secretary said he’s not good at math and had actually not paid his taxes.

While there may be an “O Team” in office now previously is was the "Yes Team."
Nothing O has done even remotely compares tot he cost of the Iraq war.

What does any of this have to do with whether or not the Gulf spill 'echoes 9/11' ?

[quote="gilliam, post:8, topic:201843"]
What does any of this have to do with whether or not the Gulf spill 'echoes 9/11' ?

[/quote]

That's what I was just wondering. :p

I believe it all started with ProVobis' uncontrollable urge to bring Bush into a conversation about Obama....

has anyone confirmed yet exactly what happened on April 20th to cause this disaster?

i wonder if there was sabotage, terrorism? April 20th is the same day the columbine high school shootings occurred. april 19th was the date of the Waco fiasco and the Oklahoma City bombing. i always get nervous around those two dates.

if it was sabotage or terrorism - do you think we would be told or would they try to keep it hush-hush so that we do not become panicked with so many other things suffering in our country - i.e. real estate, jobs, economy, etc.?

[quote="rlg94086, post:9, topic:201843"]
That's what I was just wondering. :p

I believe it all started with ProVobis' uncontrollable urge to bring Bush into a conversation about Obama....

[/quote]

Actually, it is a sort of legitimate discussion.

President Obama made a statement that is utterly ridiculous on the face of it.

9/11 involved some really big issues. The advancement of Islam around the world by use of force and violence since the year 635. Jihad. The Crusades into the Holy Land and Spain. The 800 year war in Spain. The Battle of Vienna and the Battle of Lepanto. The attacks that preceded 9/11 .. the Cole, the U.S. embassy bombings. etc. How did different national and world leaders respond.

By the way, Afghanistan has been an "issue" since Alexander the Great. Not a new situation at all. The best book written is probably "The Land of the Pathans" by Caroe. [sp?] And there is also a novel, which is excellent and done with humor.

amazon.com/Flashman-Novel-George-MacDonald-Fraser/dp/0452259614/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1276518308&sr=8-1

Read the reviews.

The current Iranian mess was caused directly by Jimmy Carter when he forced the Shah of Iran out. But Iran has been a problem before it was even called Iran.

If you really dislike George W. Bush, consider that he never talks or talked about his flying days. He flew F-102 fighter interceptors. For "fun" look up on the internet and see if you can find what kind of armament the F-102 was equipped with. Then you will know why he never talks about it. He carried a lot of responsibility for a young man (as did the other pilots).

By contrast the oil spill will be resolved in a month or so when they complete the relief wells. BP and the other drillers will need to update their procedures and training and operator certifications. And, considering how many really big oil spills there are around the world, and the hundreds if not thousands of deep water drilling operations there are right now going on, the clean up will be accomplished in a relatively short time.

9/11 was a big $%^&&] deal, as Joe Biden said.

This oil spill is one of hundreds or thousands and will go away with time and not a lot of time, either.

[quote="Monte_RCMS, post:11, topic:201843"]
President Obama made a statement that is utterly ridiculous on the face of it.

[/quote]

Only if you misconstrue what the President is saying; as you have done. Obama is talking about policy and legal implications not the events in and of themselves.

This oil spill is one of hundreds or thousands and will go away with time and not a lot of time, either.

[/quote]

Unfortunately, your assessment is incorrect. The damage to the environment and local economies which rely on the Gulf will take several years to recover. I've read here and elsewhere that some people seem to believe that "oil eating microbes" will make it all better in the end but reality tells a different story. Those "oil eating microbes" will be consumed by plankton which will, in turn, be consumed by fish of all shapes and sizes. Trace amounts of the oil will be present in any fish which eat that planton but it's just enough to make their consumption a hazard to human health.

Time to get your facts straight:

The cost of the Iraq and Afghanistan war combined total $1.05 trillion dollars through Fiscal 2010. That is the cost since 2001 when we first went into Afghanistan.

nationalpriorities.org/costofwar_home

But Obama’s bills??

"Congressman Paul Ryan (R-WI) asked the CBO what would happen if Congress theoretically extended the spending increases in the stimulus for 20 very popular programs. The answer? $3.3 trillion in spending over 10 years! Even though President Obama says the stimulus is timely, targeted and temporary, his budget calls for key stimulus provision to be extended. Congress seems likely to acquiesce and has already extended key provisions, including unemployment insurance ($10 billion per month). "

Cost of Obama healthcare:

"The most recent Congressional Budget Office report on the Senate-version of ObamaCare, which the House is expected to vote on this week, says it would cost Americans $875 billion over the next decade. Given our knowledge of government programs, especially health care entitlements, lawmakers would be wise to expect that price tag to be much higher.

Of course, some experts report the true cost of the proposed reform awaiting House action would be closer to $2.5 trillion over 10-years."

"According to a new Gallup Poll, Americans now view the federal budget deficit as our country’s greatest long-term challenge. The national debt is $12.5 trillion, and President Obama’s recent 10-year budget would run an $8.5 trillion deficit. "

humanevents.com/article.php?id=36060

Bush was no fiscal conservative, but Obama is completely bankrupting our country. No one even questions that one anymore.

But…but…we wouldn’t want to waste this perfectly good disaster which can open the door for even more government control and regulation of our everyday lives.

Actually, it is a sort of legitimate discussion.

[/quote]

You've made the case...I apologize to ProVobis for my earlier comment.

DH has been wondering this very thing, but he doesn’t think it was an act of terrorism. He suspects it might have been a bunch of wacko environmentalist who where out to stop the offshore oil drilling.

yes, that is another thought. would the obama administration and BP be afraid to tell us that though? i think there are environmental terrorists aren’t there? we had someone burning new houses under construction in the arizona desert because they were angry at the desert being eaten up by housing developments.
no one seems to be talking a lot about what happened to cause this disaster.
i don’t think it is right, though, to compare it to 9/11.

[quote="Sabda, post:16, topic:201843"]
DH has been wondering this very thing, but he doesn't think it was an act of terrorism. He suspects it might have been a bunch of wacko environmentalist who where out to stop the offshore oil drilling.

[/quote]

I find it unlikely a bunch of environmentalists would be able to dive a mile down and sabotage a giant pipe.

[quote="TechieJustin, post:18, topic:201843"]
I find it unlikely a bunch of environmentalists would be able to dive a mile down and sabotage a giant pipe.

[/quote]

If they got the money to buy the right type of equipment they could.

[quote="Sabda, post:19, topic:201843"]
If they got the money to buy the right type of equipment they could.

[/quote]

That's paranoia if I ever saw it.
Diving to that depth is not like jumping off the deep end of your pool. Even if they could get to that depth without being detected, they would have to be familiar with those systems and know how to pull that off.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.