Obama Knew the Spill Was Hopeless

[size=2]The White House appears resigned to living with the BP oil spill for some time to come. But that’s not surprising—since President Obama and his team were briefed from the outset that the blowout at the Deepwater Horizons rig was epic in scope—and would not be fixable for a long, long time.

Carol Browner, director of the White House Office of Energy and Climate Change Policy, told Obama in late April that the blowout would likely lead to an unprecedented environmental disaster, a senior White House aide told The Daily Beast. Browner warned that capping a well at such depths had never been done before, and that they ought to expect an oil spill that would continue until a relief well was drilled in August, the aide said. (Browner’s office did not immediately reply to a request for comment).

That bleak prognosis, delivered so early on, has infused Obama’s senior team with a sense of fatalism about the spill from the start. Little that has happened since has changed their mindset. Now six weeks later, the president’s top advisers expect the oil spill – and the negative stories – to continue through August.

http://www.thedailybeast.com/blogs-and-stories/2010-06-04/obama-briefed-in-april-by-carol-browner-on-how-bad-bp-spill-was-/

[/size]****

Well, when given news like that, what exactly were they supposed to do that would be any different from what they did?

What the Obama Administration should be doing is prosecuting governmental regulators who were derelict in their duty toward BP. BP should fire EVERYONE in their company who was involved in the breakdown leading to this calamity. Heads must roll over this matter. Presidents seem to be concerned about their legacy...well, this will be Obama's: how did he respond to clean up the aftermath of the greatest environmental disaster the U.S. has ever experienced, and make sure something like this could never happen again?

Doesn't ANYONE have integrity anymore? Can't ANYONE do their job without being corrupted with money or sex? Isn't ANYONE concerned about the greater good over the almighty dollar? It is just disgusting that this is what America has come to.

What BP has done with cutting the pipe and trying to siphon as much as they can was their original plan. But they were told no by the white house. The only thing Obama needs to do is make sure the oil in the gulf is getting sucked into tankers. But he's not doing that, why nobody knows.

This is another case of not letting a crisis going to waste.

By calculating the timing for his order to suspend all deep water rig operation, Obama is set with a perfect backdrop to back out of his earlier tentative steps to "study" more offshore drill. Now he can be firmly against the offshore drilling without seeming to be making a hasty decision. At this point, he knows that he can stop any more offshore drilling.

Meanwhile, he is dragging his feet on spill clean-up to make the mess as bad as possible to bolster the environmentals position that "Big Oil" is bad and "Green Energy" is good. This situation fit perfectly with his big picture of re-making America.

He doesn't care what the economic damage to the country will be.

I would argue that this is NOT Obama's Katrina.......this is his 9/11 and he was found "reading books to kindergärtners" and shrugging his shoulders. The only big difference has been, of course, the media coverage.......they are busy nailing BP to the cross in a desperate attempt to take the focus off of the President and his administration.

I would say, however, depending on how far this oil travels, the farther it goes, the worse it is for him. It's not like he could do much to prevent it, but he could have been doing a lot to try and minimize the damages. Seems as though he was too busy campaigning as usual, and dragging his feet to any attempt at real help for the people in Louisiana. I myself have never seen such arrogant indifference to a National crisis. This administration is woefully incompetent at handling any kind of an emergency. His "coolness under fire" has wrought dire consequences for the people of America.

When the people in his own party are screaming at him, I do believe he is in trouble.......and unfortunately so is America.

[quote="Teelynn, post:5, topic:200758"]
I would argue that this is NOT Obama's Katrina.......this is his 9/11

[/quote]

Who needs terrorists when you have corporate communism at work? ;)

I don't want to make light of the situation, though. The spill is very serious and the only rational thing to do is to waste as little of the excess of oil as possible. There're not going to fix much at 5000 ft down; BP and most government engineers knew that from the outset.

[quote="Teelynn, post:5, topic:200758"]
I would argue that this is NOT Obama's Katrina.......this is his 9/11 and he was found "reading books to kindergärtners" and shrugging his shoulders. The only big difference has been, of course, the media coverage.......they are busy nailing BP to the cross in a desperate attempt to take the focus off of the President and his administration.

I would say, however, depending on how far this oil travels, the farther it goes, the worse it is for him. It's not like he could do much to prevent it, but he could have been doing a lot to try and minimize the damages. Seems as though he was too busy campaigning as usual, and dragging his feet to any attempt at real help for the people in Louisiana. I myself have never seen such arrogant indifference to a National crisis. This administration is woefully incompetent at handling any kind of an emergency. His "coolness under fire" has wrought dire consequences for the people of America.

When the people in his own party are screaming at him, I do believe he is in trouble.......and unfortunately so is America.

[/quote]

After 9/11 people werent blaming bush it was mostly Muslims and terrorists. I can kind of sympathize with him after all he could get super angry and make a real show but in reality their is nothing he can really do. is he supposed to plug the hole himself? Yeah the spill will probably effect his popularity but also the drill baby drill republicans

[quote="zara905, post:7, topic:200758"]
After 9/11 people werent blaming bush it was mostly Muslims and terrorists. I can kind of sympathize with him after all he could get super angry and make a real show but in reality their is nothing he can really do. is he supposed to plug the hole himself? Yeah the spill will probably effect his popularity but also the drill baby drill republicans

[/quote]

Of course not, but he could have been doing a LOT MORE than he has been. Both to try to contain the damages as much as possible, and to consult with top scientists world wide. I don't see him doing much. There has been close to no initiative taken to do anything......poor Bobby Jindhall has been screaming like a madman at Washington to help them with any kind of equipment that might at least help save their shoreline......not much response. It has been a pathetic response from Washington. I see nothing but total incompetence. The only thing I see is Washington threatening BP with criminal charges. That may be all well and fine, but excuse me, that will not limit damages, or even try to fix the problem. Radical political officials do not posses common sense, and this situation proves it.
Excuse me, but he has been golfing, fundraising, and rockin with Paul McCartney all the while thousands of barrels of oil gushing non stop into the Gulf? I am all for Presidents relaxing especially while under so much stress, but his lack of response has been nothing short of mind blowing. Absolutely NO LEADERSHIP.

[quote="SVP, post:4, topic:200758"]
This is another case of not letting a crisis going to waste.

By calculating the timing for his order to suspend all deep water rig operation, Obama is set with a perfect backdrop to back out of his earlier tentative steps to "study" more offshore drill. Now he can be firmly against the offshore drilling without seeming to be making a hasty decision. At this point, he knows that he can stop any more offshore drilling.

Meanwhile, he is dragging his feet on spill clean-up to make the mess as bad as possible to bolster the environmentals position that "Big Oil" is bad and "Green Energy" is good. This situation fit perfectly with his big picture of re-making America.

He doesn't care what the economic damage to the country will be.

[/quote]

Unfortunately it will come at a great cost to the environment which puts a lie to his saying that he cares. Not only does he not care about the economic damage he doesn't care about the environmental damage.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.