Obama loses drilling moratorium appeal

breitbart.com/article.php?id=CNG.5812f97c10bdfbe8edaa2f9744f1bba2.41&show_article=1

The Obama administration lost its court bid to maintain a six-month moratorium on offshore deepwater drilling which a federal judge ordered lifted last month.

The Fifth Circuit Court of Appeals denied the government's emergency request to stay that judge's order pending appeal.

The motion was denied because the government failed to show "a likelihood of irreparable injury if the stay is not granted," the appeals panel judges wrote in a 2-1 ruling.

Praise the Lord!!

Don't get too happy. The case still needs to be argued on the merits.

From the article......

Interior Secretary Ken Salazar has said he will soon issue a new order to block deepwater drilling regardless of how the court ruled and oil companies have not resumed drilling due to the legal uncertainties

Translation...This administration doesn't give a rat's a** about the courts, laws or public opinion, just in furthering our agenda!

Doesn't anybody think that maybe with what's going on in the Gulf that a little step back to think and breathe might just serve everyone best. In the wake of the Gulf oil disaster numerous reports have come out showing how the blowback preventers have unusually high failure rates. Many of these safety devices have potential single points of failure that render the whole device useless and the other safety back ups may not be operational or may not be present at all.

I think it was on Salon.com that recently had an article that the Gulf has thousands of abandoned and temporarily abandoned oil and gas wells that aren't even being monitored by the government or oil companies that could be leaking or improperly sealed.

Meanwhile the oil continues to gush forward unabated, tar and oil balls are washing up on beaches all along the coast, marshes and wetlands are getting more covered along with the wildlife. Yet, all we can seem to think about is drill more and more of the same type of wells at the same kinds of depths.

This Transocean/BP oil disaster isn't happening because it was some one in a billion chance that went wrong, but because the technology seems to be all too prone to failure and necessary back ups are either insufficient or not there. How many other wells out there are one errant spark away from making the current problems look like a drop in the bucket?

ChadS

[quote="ChadS, post:5, topic:204684"]
Doesn't anybody think that maybe with what's going on in the Gulf that a little step back to think and breathe might just serve everyone best. In the wake of the Gulf oil disaster numerous reports have come out showing how the blowback preventers have unusually high failure rates. Many of these safety devices have potential single points of failure that render the whole device useless and the other safety back ups may not be operational or may not be present at all.

I think it was on Salon.com that recently had an article that the Gulf has thousands of abandoned and temporarily abandoned oil and gas wells that aren't even being monitored by the government or oil companies that could be leaking or improperly sealed.

Meanwhile the oil continues to gush forward unabated, tar and oil balls are washing up on beaches all along the coast, marshes and wetlands are getting more covered along with the wildlife. Yet, all we can seem to think about is drill more and more of the same type of wells at the same kinds of depths.

This Transocean/BP oil disaster isn't happening because it was some one in a billion chance that went wrong, but because the technology seems to be all too prone to failure and necessary back ups are either insufficient or not there. How many other wells out there are one errant spark away from making the current problems look like a drop in the bucket?

ChadS

[/quote]

I and several family members are professional engineers in the industry. If what we are hearing is correct, BP made grossly irresponsible decisions that other companies would not have made. cbsnews.com/stories/2010/05/16/60minutes/main6490197.shtml

I would support a moratorium on BP's activities, but the industry did NOT do this.

[quote="iamrefreshed, post:4, topic:204684"]
From the article......

Interior Secretary Ken Salazar has said he will soon issue a new order to block deepwater drilling regardless of how the court ruled and oil companies have not resumed drilling due to the legal uncertainties

Translation...This administration doesn't give a rat's a** about the courts, laws or public opinion, just in furthering our agenda!

[/quote]

Why should they? They've already ripped the Constitution into strips and rolled it onto a spool to be used as TP in the White House men's room, so why would they care about the courts?

[quote="markbrumbaugh, post:6, topic:204684"]
I and several family members are professional engineers in the industry. If what we are hearing is correct, BP made grossly irresponsible decisions that other companies would not have made. cbsnews.com/stories/2010/05/16/60minutes/main6490197.shtml

I would support a moratorium on BP's activities, but the industry did NOT do this.

[/quote]

Mark, I'd be willing to reconsider the opinion especially if other information is coming from engineers deeply and currently involved in the industry.

My post was based off of what I read here:

Regulators Failed to Address Risks in Oil Rig Fail-Safe Device

and here:

27,000 Abandoned Gulf Oil Wells May Be Leaking I thought this was originally in Salon.com but I can't find it on the site at all.

I'd be interested to know what you think of these.

ChadS

[quote="ChadS, post:8, topic:204684"]

27,000 Abandoned Gulf Oil Wells May Be Leaking I thought this was originally in Salon.com but I can't find it on the site at all.

ChadS

[/quote]

I think that without a shred of evidence that any of these 27,000 are actually leaking they are simply trying to stir up fear.

One may as well report on the deaths associated with a bank robbery that never happened. Complete with biographies and heart wrenching tale of the orphans left behind.

[quote="ChadS, post:8, topic:204684"]
Mark, I'd be willing to reconsider the opinion especially if other information is coming from engineers deeply and currently involved in the industry.

My post was based off of what I read here:

Regulators Failed to Address Risks in Oil Rig Fail-Safe Device

and here:

ChadS

[/quote]

the answers will eventually come to light on the cause, but among people in the industry, BP is known as "Burning Periodically" due to a long standing disregard for prudent risk management. They say the right stuff, but they don't have a clue on how to manage it.

Concerning the abandoned wells, I'm sure there is room for improvement, However wells aren't abandoned generally unless they quit producing. Most of those abandoned wells are probably incapable of producing much more oil than comes out of natural seeps on the seafloor.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.