Obama meets with Orlando victims families renews call for gun control

foxnews.com/politics/2016/06/16/obama-meets-with-orlando-victims-families-renews-call-for-gun-control.html?intcmp=hpbt2

Those who defend the easy accessibility of Islamic terrorists are responsible for these victims.

Of course he is going to call for gun control. He’s going to use the families of the victims to persuade people into agreeing with him. And though my deepest sympathy is with these families, we cannot let tragedy’s like these take away our rights.

Which law deters jihadists?

Sad. The dude in chief cannot wait for the bodies to assume room temperature before he plays politics.

While Obama calls for gun control, the Pink Pistols, a gay pro-2nd amendment group, has seen its membership more than double over the weekend.

washingtontimes.com/news/2016/jun/16/pink-pistols-lgbt-gun-group-sees-membership-spike-/?utm_source=RSS_Feed&utm_medium=RSS

Every American has the right of the 2nd Amendment. Good for the P Pistols.

All of our fundamental rights have limits. While I support the Second Amendment, I would say that our First Amendment rights are more critical. But, for example, our free speech isn’t a blank check. Theread are recognized limits to what we can say freely. We can’t yell “fire!” in a crowded theatre unless there IS a fire, and it took a tragedy of people getting trampled in a panic when someone did this to codify this limit. Likewise, fighting words aren’t protected speech. Nor is slander or libel.

If our First Amendment rights aren’t absolute, I don’t understand why groups are so reactionary towards the prospect of any encroachment on the Second Amendment. The regularity these mass shootings occur would be comical, if it wasn’t so terribly dreadful. Personally, I think an assault weapon ban, and tougher scrutiny for gun buyers are justifiable limits on our right to bear arms.

Obama, certainly not a leader.

What would you call a 2nd amendment equivalent to “yelling fire in a crowded theater”?

For a starter, semi-automatic assault rifles in the hands of a man with a history of violence or mental illness.

It’s already illegal to sell any firearm to someone with a criminal record, history of violence, or someone with severe mental illness. It’s also illegal to sell a firearm to someone with a documented history of substance abuse. These are some of the most common reasons for someone to fail a background check. This is a real problem when it comes to having a discussion about how to keep guns out of the hands of terrorists, so many people absolutely know so many things that just aren’t true.

In the midst of all this there is good news…seems all of America, based on most recent poll data, is agreeing with real Republicans on “anyone but Trump”…hopefully he won’t take the innocent Republicans down with him, by leading the defeat of Republican congressional and gubernatorial candidates.

I guess that’s one way to look at it. A kind of horrifying and cold-hearted way, but a way nonetheless. Sure 50 young men died, but hey, at least we get some short term political benefit from it, so it’s not all bad…:thumbsup:

Yeah, you’re right, because I have been hard pressed to find more than a couple Trumpster who gave two cents worth of compassion to the victims…all they mourned for was the threat to their gun rights.

You haven’t been looking very hard then. Let’s contrast. The most gay friendly President ever’s first reaction was to try to find a way to blame the NRA and Christians rather than Islamic extremists, demonstrating that in the Hierarchy of Oppression, gays rank lower the Muslims. At the same time, the most homophobic organization ever, Chick Fil A, opened on a Sunday to provide food to first responders and blood donors. You really need to try to move past your prejudices.

I missed the blame laid on Christians…I did catch his finger pointing at the NRA, which is well deserved…thanks…I’ll look into that

What about the ACLU and their support for an expansive view 1st amendment religious freedom? It would seem to me that his extremist religious views are more to blame than firearms. What restrictions would you support on religion to end these types of attacks? Any other Constitutional rights you think are expendable?

Whatever you think of his primary motivation, he would not have been nearly as successful if he did not have a gun.

And without knowing more of his personal history, it is hard to say how much a role Islam played in his actions. It will likely turn out that he was mentally unstable, uncertain of this own sexuality, and would have turned to any religious excuse to dress up his actions.

Rather than waiting until more of the facts about the shooter were known, Trump jumped in to score political points by calling it an act of Islamic extremism (and congratulating himself in the process). It seems more likely that this was a hate crime against gay men by someone with a history of violence who was conflicted about his own sexual identity, rather than having anything to do with ISIS.

No matter what motivated the shooter, access to a semi-automatic assault rifle permitted the shooter to kill lots of people. Obama’s call for gun control, and his criticism of the NRA, were very much justified.

Please identify what Obama said that blamed Christians – I didn’t see that in any of the news reports.

=adowcday;13979741]Rather than waiting until more of the facts about the shooter were known, Trump jumped in to score political points by calling it an act of Islamic extremism (and congratulating himself in the process). It seems more likely that this was a hate crime against gay men by someone with a history of violence who was conflicted about his own sexual identity, rather than having anything to do with ISIS.

The man pledged allegiance ISIS on a recorded 9-1-1 call, his father said good things about the Taliban. What more is needed?

No matter what motivated the shooter, access to a semi-automatic assault rifle permitted the shooter to kill lots of people. Obama’s call for gun control, and his criticism of the NRA, were very much justified.

No, it wasn’t. The Administration and the regerssive left-wing base are just trying to avoid any criticism of Islam out of this suffocating, civilization destroying idea of political correctness.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.