Obama plans to outline jobs plan in speech to [Joint Session of] Congress on Sept. 7

President Obama plans to unveil his new job-creation plan in a speech to a joint session of Congress on the evening of Sept. 7, the White House announced Wednesday.

In a tweet, White House communications director Dan Pfeiffer first revealed that Obama had requested the rare speech to a joint session “to lay out his plan to create jobs, grow the economy and reduce the deficit.”

“As I have traveled across our country this summer and spoken with our fellow Americans, I have heard a consistent message: Washington needs to put aside politics and start making decisions based on what is best for our country and not what is best for each of our parties in order to grow the economy and create jobs. We must answer this call,” Obama wrote to congressional leaders in a letter requesting the session.

It would be his second such address to lawmakers beyond the annual State of the Union speech. Obama made the case for his healthcare reform plan to Congress on Sept. 9, 2009, an address that spurred the infamous “You lie!” retort from Rep. Joe Wilson (R-S.C.).

latimes.com/news/politics/la-pn-obama-speech-20110831,0,1879886.story

This is as bully as the bully pulpit gets.

Schedules oration on same night as GOP debate at Reagan Library…

WH Grants NBC Permission to Reschedule Debate…** **

Right. He couldn’t create carbon dioxide, let alone jobs.

:yawn:…:sleep:

Not so fast:

The Speaker of the House replies to the White House request:
August 31, 2011
President Barack Obama
The White House
1600 Pennsylvania Avenue NW
Washington, DC 20500
Dear Mr. President:

Thank you for your letter requesting time to address a Joint Session of Congress next week. I agree that creating a better environment for job creation must be our most urgent priority. For months, the House has been implementing an agenda designed to reduce economic uncertainty, remove unnecessary government barriers to private-sector job creation, and help small businesses, and we welcome the opportunity to hear your latest proposals.

As your spokesperson today said, there are considerations about the Congressional calendar that must be made prior to scheduling such an extraordinary event. As you know, the House of Representatives and Senate are each required to adopt a Concurrent Resolution to allow for a Joint Session of Congress to receive the President. And as the Majority Leader announced more than a month ago, the House will not be in session until Wednesday, September 7, with votes at 6:30 that evening. With the significant amount of time – typically more than three hours – that is required to allow for a security sweep of the House Chamber before receiving a President, it is my recommendation that your address be held on the following evening, when we can ensure there will be no parliamentary or logistical impediments that might detract from your remarks. As such, on behalf of the bipartisan leadership and membership of both the House and Senate, I respectfully invite you to address a Joint Session of Congress on Thursday, September 8, 2011 in the House Chamber, at a time that works best for your schedule.
We look forward to hearing your ideas and working together to solve America’s jobs crisis.

Sincerely,
John Boehner

Ten Job-Destroying Regulations nationalreview.com/articles/275797/ten-job-destroying-regulations-andrew-stiles?page=1

The 8th won’t work for Obama:
NFL season starts next Thursday 830pm ET, Packers vs. Saints.

Someone in the WH is playing this wrong. Normally these sorts of time slot negotiations happen behind the scenes not in public.

Oh well, sit back and enjoy

:popcorn:

Didn’t he promise the same outline last year, at the same time?

google.com/search?hl=en&source=hp&q=2010+jobs+plan+obama+vacation&aq=f&aqi=&aql=&oq=

Change you can believe in?

LOLbama.

Looks like Obama caved.

forbes.com/feeds/ap/2011/08/31/general-us-obama-jobs_8653475.html

President Obama has accepted House Speaker John Boehner’s request to postpone his planned jobs speech by a day, after the White House announced Wednesday that it was scheduling the address for the same night as a GOP 2012 primary debate in California.

“Today, the President asked to address the Congress about the need for urgent action on the economic situation facing the American people as soon as Congress returned from recess," Press Secretary Jay Carney said in a statement.

“Both Houses will be back in session after their August recess on Wednesday, September 7th, so that was the date that was requested. We consulted with the Speaker about that date before the letter was released, but he determined Thursday would work better,” he said.

“The President is focused on the urgent need to create jobs and grow our economy, so he welcomes the opportunity to address a Joint Session of Congress on Thursday, September 8th and challenge our nation’s leaders to start focusing 100% of their attention on doing whatever they can to help the American people,” he said.

“We appreciate the President working with us tonight and look forward to hearing his new proposals,” a Boehner spokesman said.

Read more: foxnews.com/politics/2011/08/31/obama-steps-on-gop-debate-with-jobs-speech/#ixzz1WgzuDk2L

It is very good to see the bi-partisanship in this situation. It would be beautiful if everything political went so smooth.

AMEN! :clapping::extrahappy::amen:

Yes, but before it was decided to move the speech a silly slur came from White House Press Secretary Jay Carney who jokingly compared the Republican candidates seeking to unseat the president in next year’s election to the "wildlife channel,

cnsnews.com/news/article/national-address-scheduled-same-time-gop

I guess in that case, I’ll watch the ball game. No use hearing the same thing twice.

I wonder if this is the kind of jobs creation Obama speaks of:

Solyndra, a major manufacturer of solar technology in Fremont, has shut its doors, according to employees at the campus.

“I was told by a security guard to get my [stuff] and leave,” one employee said. The company employs a little more than 1,000 employees worldwide, according to its website.

Solyndra was touted by the Obama administration as a prime example of how green technology could deliver jobs. The President visited the facility in May of last year and said "it is just a testament to American ingenuity and dynamism and the fact that we continue to have the best universities in the world, the best technology in the world, and most importantly the best workers in the world. And you guys all represent that. "

The federal government offered $535 million in low cost loan guarantees from the Department of Energy. NBC Bay Area has contacted the White House asking for a statement.

nbcbayarea.com/news/local/Solyndra-Shutting-Down-128802718.html

Half a billion dollars flushed down the drain.

Oh, another you hope the President’s job speech has better ideas at what American jobs are than our Labor Secretary.

“US Labor Secretary Buys American, in an ‘Obama’s Jobs Tour Bus’ Kind of Way”

dougpowers.com/2011/09/01/obamas-labor-secretary/

Excerpt from Doug Power’s sight:

During President Obama’s midwest bus tour, he promoted US jobs by cruising around in a bus that was mostly manufactured in Canada. His Labor Secretary learned from observing her boss’s embarrassing lesson… or maybe not:
To show her support for American workers, President Obama’s labor secretary, Hilda Solis, has junked the standard black limo and purchased a new Chevrolet Equinox to ride around Washington in. The problem: the crossover SUV is built and assembled in Canada from parts also made in Canada.

Solis proudly arrived at a media breakfast hosted by the Christian Science Monitor today in the shiny silver vehicle, which she has dubbed the “bullet.” She was asked about why she traded the standard-issue limo for the SUV. “What better example could I set if I encouraged my staff to go and purchase and seek how we could acquire a vehicle that would for me would send a signal that we’re for supporting our American workers, American-made products, fuel efficient as well,” she told the Monitor’s Dave Cook, who provided this video of her answer.

Well, North American made anyway…
But here’s the real “prestige” of the joke. After being informed that the the “buy American” Secretary’s SUV wasn’t made in the United States, the Labor Department pinched off a serious “six degrees of economic separation” pile of Pelosi:

It will be Thursday at 7pm EST which will be 4pm PST. Not exactly ideal.

Goodness! That will be 6:00 p.m my time. I’ll almost certainly still be at work, because this is the half of the year’s income that I get to keep.

Oh well.:slight_smile:

Doesn’t matter. There are only three people in the entire country who listen to him any more anyway.

well, it wouldn’t matter to me which night he gives the speech because i wasn’t planning on watching anyway. i have tried to sit through some of his speeches, but it is so boring listening to his monotone voice as he just says so many words from the teleprompters that don’t have any meaning behind them. it is just obama giving a speech. shallow.
now if he were giving a speech outlining why he is not running for president in 2012, i would pay attention. :smiley:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.