Obama Says Christmas Message is Universal, 'No Matter What God You Pray To

nation.foxnews.com/2013/12/06/starnes-obama-says-christmas-message-universal-no-matter-what-god-you-pray

While, perhaps still a little PC for my tastes, President Obama used the word Christmas, and spoke of Jesus without shame. I am truly happy for this pleasant surprise. :slight_smile:

Good for him. :thumbsup:

Well, you know what they say about broken clocks…;):smiley:

Not to sound negative about this, but how sad is it, and how sorry a commentary on our society, when a president using the word “Christmas” in public becomes something to marvel at.

^^^^^ This ^^^^^^^^^

True. But when we’re in want, sometimes even scraps from the rich man’s table are welcome. :smiley:

We are in want? We Catholics, who have been given so very much, are in want? Of what?

We have blessings from our Lord. We have the sacraments. We have the Church. We have the Saints. We have the Lord’s Blessed Mother. We have access to Heaven through prayer, through the Saints and Angels and Archangels, and through the Eucharist. We have forgiveness directly received in Confession. We have the Bible and Sacred Tradition. We have the Pope, the Magisterium, and the Clergy (Holy Orders). What are we truly in want of when we already have been given so much?

What is new about the president using the word Christmas? :confused:

He used it in 2008 (no need to play the video, the transcript is beneath it)

And yes, the name of Jesus pops up in at least some of those links too - just to show that he knows the name of the person whose birthday he is joining us in celebrating.

So I’m not sure why any of this would be a surprise - after all, he is a Christian.

I agree.

CINO = I read all the transcripts. he mentioned "Christ’s calling to love one another in the last one. That was the only mention of Our Lord and nothing about what Christmas is really celebrating. Obama is someone to be ashamed of. The worst ever leader of the USA.

Then you could not have read them very carefully:

This is the season to celebrate the story of how, more than two thousand years ago, a child was born to two faithful travelers who could find rest only in a stable, among cattle and sheep. He was no ordinary child. He was the manifestation of God’s love. And every year we celebrate His birth because the story of Jesus Christ changed the world. For me, and for millions of Americans, His story has filled our hearts and inspired our lives. It moves us to love one another; to help and serve those less fortunate; to forgive; to draw close to our families; to be grateful for all that has been given to us; to keep faith; and to hold on to an enduring hope in humanity.

Service to others. Compassion to all. Treating others as we wish ourselves to be treated. Those values aren’t just at the center of Christianity; those are values that are shared by all faiths. So tonight let us all rededicate ourselves to each other. And, in that spirit, from my family to yours, happy holidays. Merry Christmas. God bless you all, and God bless the United States of America.

(2011 remarks)

If you want to be ashamed of him that is your choice. Shame has nothing to do with his recognizing the reason for the season.

The President has (fact) spoken of Christ, and he has mentioned some of the reasons for the birth of Christ. However, it is notable that the President has not said the “in your face” undeniable truth of Jesus Christ–that Jesus is not only a manifestation of God’s love; rather, He is God incarnate, the One and Only Son of God, God in human person, God the Savior who was born into this world to redeem all humanity, our Lord, and our God. Those are the attributes of Christ that so many today do not want to acknowledge.

In many ways, today’s culture reveres Jesus as a great man, as a great revolutionary, as a man filled with love for all people and the courage to stand His ground in all that. Yet, today’s culture feels uncomfortable with who Jesus is, the Second Person in the Holy Trinity, and the Savior of all souls who are or will be saved. It is only through Christ that souls are allowed into Heaven–there is no other, and that is something our current culture does not like. It is easier to focus on the “love” part, than to acknowledge that all souls will one day face Christ in judgment.

“The virgin will be with child and will give birth to a son, and they will call him Immanuel”–which means, “God with us.”
So, I personally hold no shame about what the President said, because I welcome positive talk about Jesus. It is just quite far from the fullness of the reasons for Jesus’ birth, and who Jesus truly is.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.