Obama Says US Will 'Degrade and Ultimately Defeat' ISIS Like Al Qaeda

From ABC News:
The U.S. is “going to degrade and ultimately defeat ISIL the same way we have gone after al Qaeda,” President Obama said of the terrorist group that recently took credit for beheading American journalists Steven Sotloff and James Foley.

The militant group, also known as ISIS, “poses a long-term threat to the safety and security of NATO members,” Obama said at a press conference in Newport, Wales. “We have a critical role to play in rolling back this savage organization.”

The president advocated systematically “taking the fight to” ISIS in much the same way the U.S. combated al Qaeda.

“You initially push them back, you systematically degrade their capabilities, you narrow their scope of action, you slowly shrink the space, the territory that they control, you take out their leadership, and over time, they are not able to conduct the same kinds of terrorist attacks that they once could,” Obama said, adding that U.S. combat troops would not be deployed to the region.

Meanwhile, from the New York Times (yesterday):

Al Qaeda Opens New Branch on Indian Subcontinent

[INDENT]Al Qaeda has released a video announcing the establishment of a new branch on the Indian subcontinent, saying it is meant to revive jihadist activity in a region that was once “part of the land of Muslims, until the infidel enemy occupied it and fragmented it and split it.”

In the 55-minute video posted on jihadist forums, Al Qaeda’s leader, Ayman al-Zawahri, addresses listeners in parts of the region with large Muslim populations, assuring Muslims in Burma and Bangladesh; in the Indian states of Assam and Gujarat; and in the Kashmir region that “your brothers” in the militant organization “did not forget you and that they are doing what they can to rescue you.”
[/INDENT]

If this was not so serious, it would be comical.

Yes I know what you mean!

He really believes Al Qaeda was destroyef?

Whose fault is it that ISIS or ISIL or IS has been able to grow and terrorize and kill and rape and crucify for almost a year before he finally came out to make these comments.

Announcing they will now be focusing on the subcontinent of India
doesn’t make me think they are feeling threatened by Obama’s words.
Perhaps knowing Obama’s middle name is Hussein makes them feel they have some leaway? (leeway?) Perhaps Obama has let them know that he sympathizes with them in some regards and he will only do so
much. Hard to say, but they have been emboldened by being able to gain so much in so little time. They don’t seem to have a plan to stop now.

Uh, think someone needs to tell him Al Qaeda is not and never been destroyed, in fact, they are as strong as ever right now…?? I think Obama is living in a different world!

Id say its more likely ISIS will degrade the US and make us look pathetic.

Yes I know what you mean!

He really believes Al Qaeda was destroyef?

Whose fault is it that ISIS or ISIL or IS has been able to grow and terrorize and kill and rape and crucify for almost a year before he finally came out to make these comments.

Announcing they will now be focusing on the subcontinent of India
doesn’t make me think they are feeling threatened by Obama’s words.
Perhaps knowing Obama’s middle name is Hussein makes them feel they have some leaway? (leeway?) Perhaps Obama has let them know that he sympathizes with them in some regards and he will only do so
much. Hard to say, but they have been emboldened by being able to gain so much in so little time. They don’t seem to have a plan to stop now.

Sorry about the double post! :mad: I mistakenly hit the back key and it reposts.

I think mikele makes good points. Obama’s brain seems to be wired differently. We sense danger and fear for our safety. He is thinking about the newest set of golf clubs he would like to own.

Am I the only one puzzled by Obama’s constant use of the word *degrade *when he talks about ISIS? This is the first time I’ve heard a world leader use this term when describing how we will defeat an enemy. I don’t recall Roosevelt saying how we would degrade the Nazis or Reagan saying how we would degrade the Soviets (although that is basically what we did to end the Cold War).

Anyway, it doesn’t come across as a picture of confidence when you use words like *degrade *, ultimately defeat, and manageable situation (from a different speech). To me, it comes across as “We’ll try some stuff and see if it works and hopefully things will taper off and the world will move on to something else. Anyway, I only have to deal with this for 2 more years and then it’s someone else’s problem.”

I don’t fully understand the article. I don’t understand what exactly is going to be done militarily in order to defeat/degrade ISIS. Does anyone know? I couldn’t tell from the article.

That said, I just want someone to put a stop to ISIS. If the terrorist group can be weakened to the point where it can be controlled in Iraq and Syria with Iraq and Syria’s own military forces and law then I think that would be a good thing. I would apply this same reasoning to any other nation which ISIS may be in either now or in the future. I guess that basically I am trying to say that I think ISIS should be weakened severely so that way it can be handled locally by the respective governments rather than by international forces.

I find the vocabulary they are using a puzzle as well.

Why do they need to carefully choose their words dealing with ISIS.
Words like annihlate, obliterate, destroy, wipe off the face of the earth would be better. This is pure evil and it doesn’t give me confidence that the only strategy cameron and obama can come up with is a joint op ed! That will show them we mean business! :rolleyes:

2 comments from Dr Charles Krauthammer re: the presidents choice of words in discussing Islamic terrorists:

“He cannot bring himself to say ‘Islamic!’” Krauthammer charged. “For God’s sake, ISIS calls ITSELF the Islamic State. And yet we are so politically correct we don’t want to use the term ‘Islamic,’ lest it be a slur on a great religion.”

Read more: dailycaller.com/2014/09/03/he-cannot-bring-himself-to-say-islamic-krauthammer-laments-obamas-pc-approach-to-isis-video/#ixzz3CYPfsuEK

“You have to be clear with your own people about who the enemy is,” he continued. “Churchill did not speak about German extremists. He talked about the Nazi menace. He described it in detail. FDR didn’t speak about extremists in Tokyo. He talked about the Japanese imperialism and its threat to the whole region. You have to be able to be honest with the people if you’re going to get any support. Otherwise, you get an event here, an event there and you say we can’t jump to any conclusions? Within three days everybody understands that these brothers were jihadists.”*

Read more: washingtontimes.com/news/2013/apr/24/krauthammer-obamas-reluctance-use-jihadist-islamis/#ixzz3CYP8Tvwh
Follow us: @washtimes on Twitter

[LIST]
[/LIST]

I love Krauthammer. He always hits the nail on the head!
Obama sounds like he is talking about plutonium instead of a murderous evil enemy.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.