Obama tells Kyl: I won’t secure border b/c then Republicans will have no reason to support “comprehensive immigration reform.”

On June 18, 2010, Arizona Republican Senator Jon Kyl told the audience at a North Tempe Tea Party town hall meeting that during a private, one-on-one meeting with President Obama in the Oval Office, the President told him, regarding securing the southern border with Mexico, “The problem is, . . . if we secure the border, then you all won’t have any reason to support ‘comprehensive immigration reform.’” [Audible gasps were heard throughout the audience.] Sen. Kyl continued, “In other words, they’re holding it hostage. They don’t want to secure the border unless and until it is combined with ‘comprehensive immigration reform.’”

video at link:

redstate.com/coldwarrior/2010/06/20/obama-tells-kyl-in-private-oval-office-meeting-i-wont-secure-border-bc-then-republicans-will-have-no-reason-to-support-comprehensive-immigration-reform/

And, there you have it.

I think illegals should be issued a one-way ticket on Amtrak to Chicago.
But, then again, Obama will probably never return (live) there again.

…Send 'em to Washington then, one-way on Amtrak.
Let them enjoy the increase in crime and abductions.

God Bless.
+Jesus, I Trust In You.
Love, Dawn

Who can be surprised? This is all political on both sides of the aisle. No one wants to offend the folks that come here, legally or not, for fear of losing their votes, also legal or not. No thought from Washington whatsoever in securing the border and protecting the citizens who live in the border states. Lots of threats coming toward the governor of Arizona who had the guts to call their bluff. It is going to be interesting to see how this plays out.

There is a movement among some Mexican groups to retake parts of the USA.

Maybe they have some “inside help” in high places.

Freightening, not interesting. Looks like it may be happening.

God Bless.
+Jesus, I Trust In You.
Love, Dawn

To dawnintexas --not just parts but huge swathes of land to include Texas, California and Colorado etc. All of the territories that were ceded by Mexico to the U.S. At that time, U.S. troops were surrounding Mexico City when the treaty of guadalupe was signed. Perhaps we should annul the treaty and just take mexico city. Don't let yourself be convinced that Mexico has a right to U.S territory, They had to save their country due to the aggressive actions of Maximillian and the mexican government, they ceded the northern territories to maintain their independence and keep their own country. Don't be fooled. Read the treaty.

[quote="mary_bobo, post:3, topic:202567"]
Who can be surprised? This is all political on both sides of the aisle. No one wants to offend the folks that come here, legally or not, for fear of losing their votes, also legal or not. No thought from Washington whatsoever in securing the border and protecting the citizens who live in the border states. Lots of threats coming toward the governor of Arizona who had the guts to call their bluff. It is going to be interesting to see how this plays out.

[/quote]

Not just border states!! I live about as far away from the border as you can get, and we have a HUGE immigrant population here, with a large percentage that can't speak english at all. When I graduated college with my bachelors degree, I couldn't get a job as a receptionist because - get this - I didn't speak spanish. Yup, you heard me right. I was passed over for jobs for 2 years because I studied in an area that was largely Japanese, so I took Japanese. Then I moved to where I am now, and was unemployable because I didn't speak Spanish.

Sadly, there are no free classes in Spanish like there are for english. I guess being white means I must have magical money stashed away somewhere despite having just graduated college and not having a job except for peddling cheap clothes at a retailer. :(

If you look at some of the other threads on this topic, you’ll find more injustices like yours and still many are fooled by the rhetoric that this falls under the umbrella of “social justice.” Justice and the common good have been replaced by much evil but they turn everything around on us and tell us we don’t “love our neighbor.”

<Big Sigh!>

I’m not in the least surprised by this latest tactic of government to use trickery and dishonesty to pass amnesty. It’s coming and I don’t see how if can be stopped. If they can pass the healthcare bill without any bipartisan support, passing amnesty…oops, I forgot the correct term is “comprehensive immigration reform” should be a piece of cake. BUT…remember what happened in the summer of 2007 (?) when the senate phone lines were shut down by the grassroots movement of a citizenry protesting loudly and clearly there was to be no amnesty. Can’t see it happening again, though, since no one listens to us.

uh…no, we don’t.

What we have is a statement by the Senate’s Republican whip giving his interpretation of President Obama’s remarks.

Does Senator Kyl have an interest in giving a highly partisan, and inflammatory, version of events to a tea party audience? I think so.

Does Senator Kyl have an interest, as Senate Republican whip, to given a highly partisan, and inflammatory, version of events to the general public, who might put pressure on their Senators? I think so.

I’d like to see or hear Obama’s actual quote, rather than relying on Senator Kyl’s version of it.

[quote="gilliam, post:1, topic:202567"]
On June 18, 2010, Arizona Republican Senator Jon Kyl told the audience at a North Tempe Tea Party town hall meeting that during a private, one-on-one meeting with President Obama in the Oval Office, the President told him, regarding securing the southern border with Mexico, “The problem is, . . . if we secure the border, then you all won’t have any reason to support ‘comprehensive immigration reform.’” [Audible gasps were heard throughout the audience.] Sen. Kyl continued, “In other words, they’re holding it hostage. They don’t want to secure the border unless and until it is combined with ‘comprehensive immigration reform.’”

video at link:

redstate.com/coldwarrior/2010/06/20/obama-tells-kyl-in-private-oval-office-meeting-i-wont-secure-border-bc-then-republicans-will-have-no-reason-to-support-comprehensive-immigration-reform/

[/quote]

Even for politicians, this comes off as being quite cold-blooded. As far as political animals go, this can only be described as reptilian.

This is the power politics of the left. Power itself becomes the supreme virtue.

Seeing how it was said in a private meeting…Mr Obamas favorite venue it seems to me, you probably won’t hear it repeated.

Give them all a one way ticket to Siberia and Obama, Pelosi and Ried along with them.:mad:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnInTexas

And, there you have it.

When the Obama Administration retorts…fill us in.

God Bless.
+Jesus, I Trust In You!
Love, Dawn

[quote="DawnInTexas, post:12, topic:202567"]
Quote:
*Originally Posted by DawnInTexas

And, there you have it.

When the Obama Administration retorts...fill us in.

God Bless.
+Jesus, I Trust In You!
Love, Dawn

[/quote]

Just a guess on my part, but I have an idea that the administration is going to be totally silent on this and let it blow over.

It was a private meeting;certainly they would be fully capable of retorting.

But the thing is, in this 'he said, she said scenario', the idea that Obama actually might have said something like this is actually becoming quite believable. Even his own circle of pundits, the Maureen Dowd's and the Chris Matthews, are now portraying him as a cold-blooded and calculating. This is just yet another reptilian portrayal of the character of the man.

A politically calculating sort of administration may just not want to dwell on this kind of portrayal any more than they have to.

[quote="Darryl1958, post:13, topic:202567"]
Just a guess on my part, but I have an idea that the administration is going to be totally silent on this and let it blow over.

It was a private meeting;certainly they would be fully capable of retorting.

But the thing is, in this 'he said, she said scenario', the idea that Obama actually might have said something like this is actually becoming quite believable. Even his own circle of pundits, the Maureen Dowd's and the Chris Matthews, are now portraying him as a cold-blooded and calculating. This is just yet another reptilian portrayal of the character of the man.

A politically calculating sort of administration may just not want to dwell on this kind of portrayal any more than they have to.

[/quote]

;)

[quote="Dale_M, post:8, topic:202567"]
uh....no, we don't.

What we have is a statement by the Senate's Republican whip giving his interpretation of President Obama's remarks.

Does Senator Kyl have an interest in giving a highly partisan, and inflammatory, version of events to a tea party audience? I think so.

Does Senator Kyl have an interest, as Senate Republican whip, to given a highly partisan, and inflammatory, version of events to the general public, who might put pressure on their Senators? I think so.

I'd like to see or hear Obama's actual quote, rather than relying on Senator Kyl's version of it.

[/quote]

Since Obama has done nothing to secure the border, what Kyl said is true even if Obama never said it to him.

White House: No, Obama didn’t tell Jon Kyl he refuses to secure the border

On June 18, Kyl, the Senate Republican Whip, told a North Tempe Tea Party town hall that in an Oval Office conversation between the two of them about securing the US-Mexico border, “here’s what the president said: ‘The problem is,’ he said, ‘if we secure the border, then you all won’t have any reason to support ‘comprehensive immigration reform.’ In other words, they’re holding it hostage. They don’t want to secure the border unless and until it is combined with ‘comprehensive immigration reform.’”

The White House Monday rejected Kyl’s account.

“The President didn’t say that and Senator Kyl knows it,” White House communications director Dan Pfeiffer told ABC News. “There are more resources dedicated toward border security today than ever before, but, as the President has made clear, truly securing the border will require a comprehensive solution to our broken immigration system.”

Kyl spokesman Ryan Patmintra said the senator stood by his account, which he said was “about as straight forward as you can get.”

[quote="Dale_M, post:8, topic:202567"]
uh....no, we don't.

What we have is a statement by the Senate's Republican whip giving his interpretation of President Obama's remarks.

I'd like to see or hear Obama's actual quote, rather than relying on Senator Kyl's version of it.

[/quote]

That is an ad hominem post by the way.

What was said was said in a conversation just with the two of them. Unless Obama tapes his office conversations, you will not see the actual quote.

Kyl has been my senator for more years than I would like to admit. I have found him to be consistently honest and straight forward on things like this. If he said Obama told him what is stated in the video, then you can take it to the bank.

my 2-cents
-g

[quote="gilliam, post:16, topic:202567"]
White House: No, Obama didn’t tell Jon Kyl he refuses to secure the border

On June 18, Kyl, the Senate Republican Whip, told a North Tempe Tea Party town hall that in an Oval Office conversation between the two of them about securing the US-Mexico border, “here’s what the president said: ‘The problem is,’ he said, ‘if we secure the border, then you all won’t have any reason to support ‘comprehensive immigration reform.’ In other words, they’re holding it hostage. They don’t want to secure the border unless and until it is combined with ‘comprehensive immigration reform.’”

The White House Monday rejected Kyl’s account.

“The President didn’t say that and Senator Kyl knows it,” White House communications director Dan Pfeiffer told ABC News. “There are more resources dedicated toward border security today than ever before, but, as the President has made clear, truly securing the border will require a comprehensive solution to our broken immigration system.”

Kyl spokesman Ryan Patmintra said the senator stood by his account, which he said was “about as straight forward as you can get.”

[/quote]

We don't even need the Kyl version. Pfeiffer's version is actually the very same thing, just put in different words.

I don’t think so. My comment was not an attack on Sen. Kyl’s character. We all know that in controversial matters, politicians often spin information to best appeal to their audience, especially when speaking ill of their opponents. I simply pointed out that his charge isn’t necessarily to be taken as gospel truth.

Of course, any of us are free to believe him and disbelieve the President’s denial. Its part of the political game. Frankly, I am sick of the extreme partisanship which has become so common in the US.

If I were Kyl, I'd be shouting from the rooftops!

Polygraph time! Lol!

I would take one! I would insist on one!

~Show the whole world.~

But, that's me.

Habitual liars can fudge one I've been told, but I've never seen it.
They are mighty darned hard to pull off.

God Bless.
+Jesus, I Trust In You.
Love, Dawn

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.