Obama to Leno: Opposing same-sex marriage violates basic morality'

Obama to Leno: Opposing same-sex marriage violates basic morality’

lifesitenews.com/news/obama-to-leno-opposing-same-sex-marriage-violates-basic-morality-video?utm_source=LifeSiteNews.com+Daily+Newsletter&utm_campaign=56f8c74225-LifeSiteNews_com_US_Headlines_06_19_2013&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_0caba610ac-56f8c74225-326231002

…Russia’s anti-gay propaganda law, which Vladimir Putin signed this summer, falls short of herding homosexuals into concentration camps. The law fines Russians who advocate gay “marriage” the equivalent of $156 (U.S.). The wildly popular measure does not criminalize homosexual relations but bars any public communications “intended to form in a minor a nontraditional sexual foundation.”

Obama, who did not correct Leno, replied, “I’ve been very clear that when it comes to universal rights, when it comes to people’s basic freedoms, that whether you are discriminating on the basis of race, religion, gender or sexual orientation, you are violating the basic morality that I think should transcend every country.”

He added that he had “no patience for countries” that do not affirm “gays or lesbians or transgender persons.”

Once again, Lifesite news is a bastion of journalism…and skews the headline and the quote in the text.

As they quoted–and as they also posted in a clip–he used the words “basic freedoms” and “universal rights” in that quote, not “same-sex marriage”.

Once again:
“I’ve been very clear that when it comes to universal rights, when it comes to people’s basic freedoms, that whether you are discriminating on the basis of race, religion, gender or sexual orientation, you are violating the basic morality that I think should transcend every country.”

And had the majority of Catholics not voted for him, he wouldn’t be in office. You get what you ask for. :shrug:

Obama talks about basic morality and yet he voted 3 times against bills that would of provided medical care to newborns who had survived a failed abortion.

Even if homosexuals could marry in every state in America, polygamous marriage will still be illegal, incestuous marriage will still be illegal, marriage to inanimate objects will still be illegal, there will still be prohibition as to who can marry based on age in many states. So does Obama think there should be barriers to who can marry or not? I do not know if people who support homosexual marriage think about this enough, do you oppose other types of people from getting married who are prohibited? Unless it is is legal for everybody to marry who they want there will not be universal or equal rights. Everybody should not be allowed to marry whoever they want.

It is basic morality, spewed by the angel of light.

or whatever .

Gee,I wonder if Obama would apply this to the Middle East,which has zero tolerance for homosexuality.As far as his other comments,specifically,religious freedom,he sure isn’t walking the talk,here in the USA!Everything this man says and does is politically motivated.I wonder if he is even capable of thinking through an issue critically?:rolleyes:

well, the majority that seem to think handing out food stamps to every bob, joe and greg is permissible instead of helping many of those capable of work (not talking about those who actually NEED the food stamps) to get job skills and increase their chances for a better job, not to mention helping pregnant women instead of handing them the # for the nearest planned parenthood and abandoning them to abortion.

Remember he was against so called “equality marriage” before he was for it…but I think he just said he was for traditional marriage TO GET ELECTED…then his TRUE nature was revealed…but many still are in the “rock star” worship stage that they CAN"T or won’t see his true nature, his true agenda.

He tried to push gay marriage in Africa, which didn’t go over too well!

So how do you feel about me having 3 wives?

We have gone collectively insane.

Very well put Abyssinia :thumbsup:

Cool, so you agree that same-sex marriage isn’t a basic freedom or a universal right, then?

:thumbsup:

If I remember the timeline and argument right he was for same sex marraige as taught at Trinity UCC, then when running for statewide US Senate office unprotected by a gerrymandered district he was against it because of his Christian faith. Then come his reelection campaign the LGBT community felt, rightfully so, that he had enough political power to survive being outed and Vice President Biden let the word out. He then announced he had evolved back to his pre senate campaign position. And the LGBT community was right as he was easily reelected

So now a year later his stated position for most of his life as a celebrity violates basic morality? When you hand wave away stuff in front of your face to vote for someone well you get what you vote for.

They don’t because their position is based on emotion rather than logic.

Yes, it’s beyond my complete understanding why any Catholic would have voted for him with his disgusting pro death agenda.
Mary.

So what do you think Obama meant by “universal rights”? It was not an exact quote, but they captured the context of what he was saying.

I am not American, so my view should not count, however, as a person who believes that life must be protected by all Catholics, I cannot understand how American Catholics can support Obama with his pro-abortion history throughout his political career.As the Leader of the Free World supports the destruction of innocent children, such positive evil must affect his country and the rest of the world. Support for him by a significant number of American Catholics must show something deeply wrong with American Catholicism. “The best lack all conviction whilst the worst are full of passionate intensity”. The Universal Church must pray for America
." And what rough beast, its hour come round at last,
Slouches towards Bethlehem to be born? " W. B. Yeats
All who love America should pray that all American Catholics stand against the Devil whose hatred of humanity must be honoured in every abortion. I sometimes fear the just retribution of God rather than the Devil who is fated to be crushed under the feet of Our Blessed Mother.

Exactly. He would NEVER call out a Muslim country about their treatment of gays or women. Never.

Right, telling, bias statement. The Gulf I didn’t catch, ironic also.

Thread started out on the wrong foot with a non-accurate headline.

Try to avoid life site for news articles. A lot of the articles there are opinion, not news. They are OK for the forums outside of In the News, but tend not to be completely hard news articles.

Closed

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.