Obama to Veto Bill Allowing 9/11 Lawsuits Against Saudi Arabia

nytimes.com/2016/09/13/us/politics/obama-veto-saudi-arabia-9-11.html?_r=2

WASHINGTON — The White House said on Monday that President Obama would veto legislation approved by Congress that would allow the families of victims of the Sept. 11, 2001, attacks to sue Saudi Arabia for any role in the plot, escalating a bipartisan dispute with lawmakers over the measure.

The article continues at the link.

Probably a smart move. Think of all the lawsuits the US would incur for undeclared wars, drone strikes, etc. Not an Obama fan, but I can see his point on this one.

Yeah, you’re probably right, but I just find it extremely galling that both Saudi Arabia and John Brennan are so actively vocal on opposing this. Considering that both parties were definitely involved in the 9/11 events (in Brennan’s case through stupidity and towering arrogance at best, and through active involvement at worst), for them to now be stepping all over the victim’s families is infuriating. To think that the guilty parties are rubbing salt on the victim’s families wounds and no doubt laughing about it, is a telling example of how the world really works. But then I suppose it would be a dangerous precedent for the U.S., for all the different reasons you mentioned.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.