Obama will lift ban on stem-cell research

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - U.S. President Barack Obama will soon issue an executive order lifting an eight-year ban embryonic stem cell research imposed by his predecessor, President George W. Bush, a senior adviser said on Sunday.

“We’re going to be doing something on that soon, I think. The president is considering that right now,” Obama adviser David Axelrod said on “Fox News Sunday.”

In 2001, Bush limited federal funding for stem cell research only to human embryonic stem cell lines that already existed. It was a gesture to his conservative Christian supporters who regard embryonic stem cell research as destroying potential life, because the cells must be extracted from human embryos.

Read the rest here.

More bad news means more reason to pray!

No previous elected President had as little respect for life as the man who now holds that office. I don’t know if it because he does not have a properly formed concience, or it is because he is evil. Its one or the other. We must pray to combat the cloud of death over our nation.

i wonder what will be next? now that he has his stimulus bill, he can begin his focus on other issues.

he can begin reversing other policies that GWB had put in place.

we can pray for obama’s conversion, but i am afraid he has his mind already made up. :frowning:

Look I don’t understand how anyone can be surprised by this. The only promise that BHO has been able to keep are the anti-life ones.:eek:

good point kathleen. he IS keeping those promises. very sad.

It is really very strange to me. Almost as if he is on a “mission” to destroy life. He is a very aggressively going after all the pro life issues. The sooner the better.:confused: :mad:

i think people viewing him as their “messiah” has gone to his head.
he thinks he is a god now.

So why didn’t George Bush attempt to make a law, prohibiting in vetro fertilization, which is where unwanted embryos come from?

Why didn’t the Church speak out vigorously against IVF, where they now have to oppose the destruction of unwanted embryos?

Does anyone actually think these unwanted embryos will ever be implanted?

The failure here is not doing anything about IVF when it first started.

Jim

And the misinformation goes on. President Bush did not impose an “eight-year ban [on] embryonic stem cell research”.

U.S. presidents don’t have the authority to make laws. More to the point, George Bush isn’t president any more. You can stop blaming him for everything.

It’s no secret the Church opposes IVF.

Irrelevant.

No, the failure here is President Obama wanting to use federal funds to pay for experimentation on embyros. No one is to blame for President Obama’s actions in this regard except President Obama.

– Mark L. Chance.

Then why blame George Bush? IVF has been around since at least the early 1970s.

Peace

Tim

This is just some history and thw slippery sloap we went down in the name of science.

How animal embryo research led to the first documented human IVF.

Bavister BD.

Department of Biological Sciences, University of New Orleans, New Orleans, LA 70122, USA.

Research studies using animal gametes led to the first documented human IVF in 1969. A key contribution was the development of a reliable culture medium for IVF of hamster oocytes, which was then used successfully with human gametes in the laboratory.

[size=3]

**1978: First ‘test tube baby’ born
The birth of the world’s first “test tube baby” has been announced in Manchester.
Louise Brown was born shortly before midnight in Oldham and District General Hospital.
Weighing 5lb 12oz (2.61 kg) the baby was delivered by caesarean section because her mother, Lesley Brown, was suffering from toxaemia.
The consultant in charge of the case, Mr Patrick Steptoe, said: "All examinations showed that the baby is quite normal. The mother’s condition after delivery was also excellent."
http://news.bbc.co.uk/shared/img/o.gifhttp://news.bbc.co.uk/shared/img/o.gifhttp://news.bbc.co.uk/shared/img/o.gifhttp://news.bbc.co.uk/onthisday/img/t_quo.gifAll examinations showed the baby is quite normal
http://news.bbc.co.uk/onthisday/img/b_quo.gifMr Patrick Steptoe, consultant gynaecologist
http://news.bbc.co.uk/shared/img/o.gifMrs Brown, 29, has blocked fallopian tubes so she and her husband, 39, have been undergoing in vitro fertility treatment.
Last November Mrs Brown had an embryo - of her egg and her husband’s sperm - implanted in her womb after it had been fertilized in a laboratory.
The technique is being pioneered by consultant gynaecologist Patrick Steptoe and Cambridge research physiologist Robert Edwards.
“This work may be developed in other respects. It may include the reversal of sterilization,” Dr Edwards told a press conference at Prestwich Hospital, Manchester.
More than 5,000 couples have applied for the new fertility treatment already and there are 20,000 women in the UK with blockages similar to that experienced by Lesley Brown.
None of the main religions have an official policy on artificial insemination, but the Roman Catholic Church has raised the strongest objection.
The Archbishop of St Andrews and Edinburgh, Cardinal Gordon Gray said: “I have grave misgivings about the possible implications and consequences for the future.” Louise Brown’s financial future has been assured by the sale of newspaper rights for her story worth about £300,000
[/size].

Why blame Obama?

Jim

mlchance

U.S. presidents don’t have the authority to make laws. More to the point, George Bush isn’t president any more. You can stop blaming him for everything.

Did he write a bill on the issue? No, he did not.

It’s no secret the Church opposes IVF.

They’ve been soft on the issue.

Irrelevant.

Very rellevant. Everyday new embyros are created, which will end up in the trash.

No, the failure here is President Obama wanting to use federal funds to pay for experimentation on embyros. No one is to blame for President Obama’s actions in this regard except President Obama.

What should be done with these embyros?

Jim

I don’t blame Obama for IVF. I blame him for funding the destruction of the embryos.

Do you approve of his actions?

Peace

Tim

Just for clarification - why blame Obama for what? Because certainly it is reportedly Obama who will be lifting the ban put in place, not an imposter, yes? Are you saying Obama is under some sort of duress or incapable of asserting his own will to not lift the ban? I guess I’m confused…:confused:

He’s funding the research. The destruction was coming whether he funded the research or not.

Jim

Obama is lifting the ban on the research.

But, new embryos are being created everyday, without any chance of them being implanted.

Unless IVF is outlawed, the destruction of embryo’s will continue.

Maybe Obama’s incorrect views on the issue, have to do with the fact that no one is speaking about the immorality of creating the embryos in the first place?

Ignorance across the board on the issue, is at play here.

Jim

Do you approve of his actions?

Peace

Tim

No, but I don’t approve of creating embyros either, which is the source of the problem.

Jim

Thank you. That is all I was asking.

Peace

Tim

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.