Obamacare to Look Past Unpaid Premiums to Avoid Lapses

From Bloomberg:
Health insurers are being asked by the U.S. government to be lenient with Obamacare customers who miss the Dec. 23 deadline for enrolling in the program or are late with their initial payment.

The Obama administration yesterday encouraged insurers to honor any late sign-ups with retroactive coverage, let people pay only part of their premiums, and honor treatments for patients who go to out-of-network doctors. It’s also considering stretching out the already-extended Dec. 23 cutoff to enroll.

The moves are intended to smooth the nation’s transition into an overhauled health-care system next year, as millions of Americans change insurers or gain coverage they’ve never had. The administration earlier in the day said that an expiring insurance program for sick Americans who’ve been refused coverage by private carriers will be extended for one month.
God bless the Obama Administration :thumbsup:. Force those greedy insurance companies to totally forgo all principles of contract law. (In case you can’t tell, I’m being very sarcastic here).

I sort of like Forbes’ position on this:
Government Takeover: White House Forces Obamacare Insurers To Cover Unpaid Patients At A Loss

Health insurers are being asked by the U.S. government to be lenient with Obamacare customers who miss the Dec. 23 deadline for enrolling in the program or are late with their initial payment.

The Obama administration yesterday encouraged insurers to honor any late sign-ups with retroactive coverage, let people pay only part of their premiums, and honor treatments for patients who go to out-of-network doctors. It’s also considering stretching out the already-extended Dec. 23 cutoff to enroll.

The moves are intended to smooth the nation’s transition into an overhauled health-care system next year, as millions of Americans change insurers or gain coverage they’ve never had. The administration earlier in the day said that an expiring insurance program for sick Americans who’ve been refused coverage by private carriers will be extended for one month.
(deleted my last comment out of prudence)

Forbes “position” in this is completely dishonest. They aren’t being ‘forced’ to do anything, and its unethical to claim they are.

Encouraging and asking a company to help out citizens is a good thing, but the companies aren’t forced to honor the request.

How would you react if the President asked you to continue working without getting paid?

When the federal government “requests” something like this people are inclined to see it as a directive…ESPECIALLY when this administration has used its power to harm uncooperative entities.

Are the employees being unpaid?? I didn’t read that in there.

I think corporate attorneys would view it as a request and not a directive. Everything goes through them prior to going to the executives.

This is just the latest (and not the last) totally self-inflicted problem that the administration has caused by their lack of understanding of the health insurance market.

The administration is asking businesses to pay for services that they are not responsible for. This can’t end well.

Posted from Catholic.com App for Android

we can argue about the fact that this essentially amounts to coercion, but what’s being missed is this highlights how big a piece of garbage this bill actually is. Anyone who continues to defend something that is this error filled and full of holes cannot be taken seriously.

Everything that the opponents of Obamacare has been saying for years is coming to fruition. The administration is literally having to make up rules and suggestions as it goes to try to keep this thing barely afloat. And this is 75 days in! Wait until the shoe drops on the group policies. The president has been shown to be a liar to even get this through Congress with no votes to spare.

How sad for America and those who supported this, and most especially those who didn’t support it and are now paying for other people’s mistakes.

The administration is getting desperate.

[quote=Dawnia] The administration is getting desperate.
[/quote]

So are its shameless defenders.

It seems that he has a lot of people who have absolute and unconditional loyalty to him. If he jumps off a cliff, they are going with him with no questions asked.

So how do they get around the state insurance regulators on these losses?

While the headline may be misleading, the article itself is not dishonest. At some point, “urging”, and “strongly encouraging” turn into coercion. The article also links one of the recent HHS publications which has now created penalties for insurers that do not adhere to previous “suggestions”.

The administration is doing PR work. If the insurers comply, they will face financial losses which will be recouped later, probably in the form of higher premiums, and be characterized as the bad guys (as if they had anything to do with the failed roll-out). If they don’t comply, they will be characterized as the bad guys anyway.

This!!:thumbsup::thumbsup:

Wow. Obamacare is truly riddled with holes. I really wish they would just scrap the entire thing, especially the unconstitutional HHS Mandate which attacks our religious freedom!

The insurance companies are being asked to provide insurance although they have not been paid according to the terms of the contract. That can’t be good for the employees or the owners of the insurance companies. Keep in mind that some insurance companies are mutual companies or non-profits, so people who do pay as promised would be forced to cover for those who do not.

That is unjust no matter who the party who goes unpaid happens to be.

I wonder when they will apologize to everyone they mocked and vilified who pointed out what a disaster this law was going to be. Obama got elected on a lie sand now millions of Americans are paying the price.

[estesbob;11500120]I wonder when they will apologize to everyone they mocked and vilified who pointed out what a disaster this law was going to be.

Never.

They never apologize, only find excuses.

Obama got elected on a lie sand now millions of Americans are paying the price.

Generally, you get the government you vote for.

I’m tired of hearing all the excuses from conservatives, independents and the heartland who support this garbage via proxy b/c of farm subsidies, government financing for sports, and even so-called “gay marriage”.

I’m also sick of them making excuses for their buddies and relatives just because they are worried about what might happen at holiday dinner. I wish they’d just hush up and write out checks and leave us out of it.

I’m also tired of hearing about “well, I’m going to vote XYZ cause my great grandfather did in 1900.”

If you want to know why we have ObamaCare, that is why. Anyone who wants to dispute that can just look at an electoral map of the Senate and President from 2012.

It tells all you need to know about **America and why she is falling. **

Since the roll-out, and actually since the election, I haven’t heard much from the Virgil Goode, Gary Johnson or Optimus Prime write-in crowd.

Perhaps a pink slip and/or cancelled insurance has something to do with it? :hmmm:

I am not sure this is unique to the Obama administration.

This statement is another reason why we have Obamacare and a government that thinks it can tell the Catholic Church what to do.

Progressives feed off of that because if they want to do something destructive or something that doesn’t work, all they need is to find ONE conservative at ANY point in history doing it, and it’s justified.

The difference between conservatives and liberals is if someone in conservative ranks screws up, they won’t circle the wagons, they’ll call them out to accept responsibility.

The progressives will circle the wagons until the end of time because they are so arrogant as to think they cannot be wrong.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.