Obamacare's first month: 106,000 signed up

[size=2]Some 106,185 people signed up for Obamacare in its first month of operation, a period marred by major technological problems with both the federal and state enrollment websites. [/size] Fewer than 27,000 Americans selected an insurance plan through the federal healthcare.gov site, which is handling enrollment for 36 states, according to figures released Wednesday by the Obama administration. The site is still far from fully operational, leaving tech experts racing to get it working by month’s end, as the administration promised.

money.cnn.com/2013/11/13/news/economy/obamacare-insurance/index.html?hpt=hp_t1

And 1 million “un-signed up” in California alone. What a fiasco. :slight_smile:

But how many people paid for their health insurance plan because 106185 includes people who put a plan into a shopping cart. Don’t people on various retail shopping websites put items into their shopping cart and never go through with purchasing the item by paying for it? How many people have signed up for health insurance and paid for it? And why hasn’t any information on the age of enrolees been provided?

It does not say. I’m not sure if that information has been released…

Edit: Here’s some additional info:

“Enrollment includes those who have selected a plan who either have or have not yet paid the first month’s premium,” HHS said.
People have to pay their insurers separately. “By December 15th we will be able to tell you how many people have paid for the first month of coverage,” Sebelius told reporters on a conference call. “Buying insurance is very different from buying a toaster.”

nbcnews.com/health/26-000-signed-through-federal-obamacare-website-first-month-administration-2D11591428

Sounds like the system has only been set to process information. Counts, not critical right now, come later, though they should have been tested as well. There are various stages in each application, enrollees might even sign up for more than one, all that is still being worked on. We’ll have to be patient with the counts.

If this insurance is SO great, why hasn’t Obama signed up for his own plan ? :rolleyes:

A lot of people owe Ted Cruz an apology. Many of them post here. Pejoratives were thrown at him, and now democrats are joining him in calling for a delay.

Of course, I don’t expect anyone on the left to admit he was right.

:thumbsup:

A month or so ago, Ted Cruz was shouting from the rooftops to delay the implementation of Obamacare. Everyone on the left called him a nut (and some on the right). Now, people on both sides are calling for a delay of Obamacare. Ted Cruz was right. Watch his stock rise as the reality of the train wreck of Obamacare continues to set in.

Ishii

I would like to see stats a year from now on how many people signed up, but regret doing so. I would bet there will be more delays and changes to the plan that will benefit people who wait to make a decision. More exemptions will be granted to politically favored groups.

Only 26,794 signed up through the federal exchange. The govt won’t say how many are actually paid. The rest signed up through individual state exchanges.

CNBC has more info here

Less than 1/3 of the 1.08 million people who filled out the app were eligible to get a subsidy. And nearly 400,000 signed up for Medicare/Medicaid.

You can’t tell me that 2/3 of everyone applying make over 94K. Are the subsidies shaping up to be a lie too?

Or $45k (?) for singles. Good point. I’d be suspicious of counts like that.

From what I can make out - there is a formula that is used to determine how much the govt thinks you should pay towards your healthcare including premiums & out of pocket. (from 2% up to 9.5% of income) Then they take the premium of the Silver plan…waive their magic wand and poof you find out what your subsidy will be. (give or take a magic wand and a poof)

You can be eligible for a subsidy, but not qualify. And you can’t know for sure how much your subsidy is or if you even get one without going through the application process.

People still wait till the last minute. Maybe they can file for an extension as they do on April 15th?

No one on the left called him crazy for his cause. They called him crazy (and he was crazy and reckless) for threatening to bring down the entire American economy if Democrats didn’t agree 100% with everything he wanted. Every single person on the left still thinks he was reckless, even those who have agreed with him about the delay since Day 1.

Nonsense and hyperbole.

1. Who on the left pushed for a delay, agreeing this was not ready for being rolled out?

2. Threatening to bring down the entire economy? Please. It was a hiccup relatively speaking, and it would appear the affects of lost individual coverage and the looming impact from group coverage are going to be far more drastic.

3. You blame one side for the shutdown, when the opposition now suddenly agrees with the proposal by Cruz? And suddenly, the story is “oh we actually agreed with the delay, it just shouldn’t have been part of a budget battle.” The shutdown was as much the fault of Reid and Obama, and if they delay this monster, it retroactively show that they delay was then ENTIRELY their doing. They’d admit defeat and highlight that Cruz’s solution was the correct one, and that they refused to delay the bill out of hubris and pride, regardless of the impact to Americans.

4. Had the left listened to Ted Cruz, many of the lost plans may have been able to have been saved. Because of the arrogance of ACA supporters, those plans are gone forever. You can’t get a plan and say “I want the rates I paid for in 1996.”

Like I said, I don’t expect people to eat humble pit over this and admit this could have been avoided if they had been honest about the looming failure of this program. That would require too much humility, frankly, after weeks of trying to smear guys like Cruz. I’d rather enjoy watching this meltdown for millions of Americans being laid at the feet of the left and Obama if it simply wasn’t so serious for individuals and families.

They’re having a hard time even getting people to listen to the pitch in New Mexico. They won’t even show up with a paid dinner.

From the Farmington (NM) Daily Times:

Officials from the New Mexico Health Insurance Exchange have reached out to communities throughout the state to explain the exchange and new insurance plans, periodically holding seminars in San Juan County.

But many of those seminars have been sparsely attended. A free health insurance exchange seminar and dinner scheduled last week in Bloomfield was cancelled due to a lack of response.

“We advertised for three weeks before, put it on our reader board and hand-delivered invitations to various doctor’s offices and small businesses,” said Bloomfield Chamber of Commerce President Janet Mackey. “We only had seven people RSVP, and since we were also going to be providing dinner, we thought with so few people it would be a waste of resources.”

I’d say that this plan is an utter failure…Glad to hear that the Democrats are going to run on it as a great success!

I didn’t know that “it would be a waste of resources” was in a progressive’s vocabulary.

I am not aware of even a single leftist, liberal, progressive, or otherwise Democratic voice that pushed for a delay, agreeing that it was not ready to push out.
I have a hard time believing that anyone can now, in good faith, contend that those voices existed in any significant way, or even in an insignificant way.
Nonsense, indeed.

My, oh, my what a bunch of complications we don’t even need. What a racket! All these complicated taxes, insurances, and laws were not in effect 100 years back and this nation as well as the world was thriving better 100 years ago in terms of economy and spirituality.

The way the systems are set up today sounds like much ado about nothing if you ask me. If so much complicatedness has to be conceived, it must not be right and just - it’s just a roundabout way of Satan getting his word in on things. All we should be concerned about is the afterlife after all. Life should be simple but it is not. We lose focus on priorities after a while.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.