Obamagate – How Obama administration apparently weaponized intel agencies for political attacks

"It would be irresponsible for the intelligence community and Congress to turn a blind eye to this abuse simply because it happened years ago. Wrongdoing by the Obama administration in this scandal – which President Trump has dubbed “Obamagate” – must be exposed to ensure such actions never take place again."

OPINION

Published 6 hours ago

Fred Fleitz: Obamagate – How Obama administration apparently weaponized intel agencies for political attacks

By Fred Fleitz | Fox News

There is strong evidence that President Barack Obama’s administration improperly weaponized U.S. intelligence agencies in multiple and shocking ways against Donald Trump and other political enemies.

It appears the Obama administration did this in a number of ways, including: fraudulently obtaining Foreign Intelligence Surveillance Act warrants to spy on American citizens; promoting the Democratic National Committee-funded dossier assembled by former British spy Christopher Steele that was filled with lies about Trump; politicizing intelligence analysis; leaking intelligence; and spying on political opponents and journalists.

In the period when he was a presidential candidate and president-elect, Trump and his aides seemed to have been the major targets of this misuse of American intelligence for political purposes. But they were not the only targets.

KAYLEIGH MCENANY SCOLDS MEDIA FOR LACK OF ‘JOURNALISTIC CURIOSITY’ IN FLYNN CASE

It is imperative to uncover the extent of the Obama administration’s abuse of U.S. intelligence for political purposes. This must include a full list of every American unmasked from intelligence reports – Trump aides, members of Congress, and ordinary Americans – and who made these requests. . . .

. . . This week’s revelation that an astounding 39 Obama administration officials – including then-Vice President Joe Biden – made 53 requests to unmask incoming Trump National Security Adviser Michael Flynn’s name from National Security Agency phone intercepts between Election Day on Nov. 8, 2016 and Jan. 12, 2017 was a bombshell.

The stunning revelation regarding Obama administration spying on Flynn by secretly recording his conversations with the Russian ambassador to the U.S. at the time appears to confirm allegations by President Trump and his supporters of a broad effort by the Obama administration to weaponize intelligence to undermine the Trump presidency shortly before it began. . . .

3 Likes

I fully expect Mr. Fleitz will be getting personal attacks raised against him
and perhaps against his family
in the media soon
for doing the above piece.

. . . As a former CIA officer who helped process requests to unmask the names of U.S. citizens from National Security Agency reports, I know that unmasking requests are not normal and routine. And I believe these requests raise serious civil rights and legal issues that have not yet been addressed.

From my 25 years working in U.S. government national security jobs, I know how sensitive and rare unmasking requests are. . .

1 Like

This Fox opinion is so weak.
When I got to the part where Flynn just did the routine, introduce himself to Kisleyak, I wanted to vomit. After that it became harder to read.
Flynn made a sanction deal with Kisleyak. Same day the president imposed sanctions.
Flynn got Putin to reverse his announced retaliatory sanctions.
Then Flynn lied to WAPO
Spicer
Preibus
And the VP
WHO ALL IN TERN LIED TO THE AMERICAN PEOPLE, and apparently Trump.
Then he lied to the FBI… THAT ISNT INTRODUCING YOURSELF

1 Like

I really think WN is getting to be not only a dumpster fire but also wildly irresponsible. Day after day it’s one conspiracy theory after another — about Obama, Trump, whomever. The sources used are atrociously biased, claims made are accepted as fact without much evidence…

6 Likes

gracepoole . . .

I really think WN is getting to be not only a dumpster fire but also wildly irresponsible.

Why is this a “dumpster fire” for Obamagate,
but when conservatives put up for YEARS with “Trump” dragged into about basically any thread,
with the phony Russian collusion narrative,
with the manufactured impeachment proceedings,
all of that is OK?

It seems it is just a “dumpster fire” for people who don’t agree with the story.

To the world outside of CAF, how can threads like this one not reflect badly on Catholics as a whole?

Well with speaking to my Evangelical Protestant friends, they are scandalized how Catholics can support candidates who fight for partial-birth abortion.

That’s how I think threads like this reflect bad on Cathoholics here. The incessant looking away at politicians who support premediated murder of pre-born innocent human beings.

7 Likes

Once upon a time, our civil rights were respected, even considered sacred. That was once upon a time. And while “Once upon a time” is the opening line to many fairy tales, our civil rights were very real and taken very seriously. Today, they’re being TREATED like a fairy tale, and I fear the ending won’t be “happily ever after”.

4 Likes

What time was that?
And who do you mean when you say “our”?

Did you miss where I said these conspiracy threads focus on Obama, Trump, whomever?

I didn’t. And I thought it terribly unfair.

How was my statement unfair?

Reminiscent, albeit less extreme, of taking about “both sides” at Charlottesville.

1 Like

Oh, my. I’d hope you know my thinking better than that by now.

I think that I do. That is why I was surprised by the remark.

Trump is chanelling Roy Cohn: Just attack and attack! Don’t worry about proof of claims.

" WASHINGTON — President Trump has embarked on an aggressive new drive to rewrite the narrative of the Russia investigation by making dark and unsubstantiated accusations that former President Barack Obama masterminded a sinister plot to bring him down.

On Twitter, on television, in the Rose Garden and even on an official White House social media page, Mr. Trump in recent days has taken aim at his most recent predecessor in a way that no sitting president has in modern times, accusing Mr. Obama of undefined and unspecified crimes under the vague but politically charged catchphrase “Obamagate.”

The president went even further on Thursday by demanding that Mr. Obama be hauled before the Senate “to testify about the biggest political crime and scandal in the history of the USA,” a scenario that itself has no precise precedent in American history. Within hours, Mr. Trump’s most faithful Republican ally in the Senate promptly announced that he would indeed investigate, although he would probably not summon Mr. Obama.

In flinging incendiary charges at his predecessor, Mr. Trump has offered no evidence and has not even specified what “crime” he was accusing the former president of committing. Instead, Mr. Trump seemed to be tying the investigation by the special counsel Robert S. Mueller III, which has enraged him for years, back to Mr. Obama while hinting ominously at forthcoming revelations that will bolster his claims."

You know, I think it is pathetic.

It’s well established and even U.S. intelligence officials have said that there is no evidence of criminal wrongdoing in the transcripts of former national security adviser Michael Flynn’s conversations with Russian Ambassador Sergey Kislyak. Flynn was obviously framed, there was no legal reason to open or keep the investigation open after it was closed by FBI officials. FBI had no legal basis to even question Flynn to begin with since the transcripts showed no wrongdoing and why were they unmasking Flynn WAY before any call to Ambassador Kislyak?!?!

6 Likes

An impeached president in each of the 3 LAST THREE US CENTURIES. TRUMP IS THE21ST CENTURY IMPEACHED PRESIDENT HISTORICALLY. Trump was saved by McConnell who was only willing to conduct a half trial. Evangelicals/ Baptists supported Ror V Wade , so I am not sure how scandalized they are. There was certainly a reason to do a Counterintel interview. So the investigation issue is not relevant.
There were two calls to Kisleyak Flynn lied about. The first involved Israel.

And there was Flynn actively getting top security briefings while being a Paid agent of the Turkish government. More counter Intel since Trump claimed not to know

Flynn was framed? Is that what you call lying to Preibus , Spicer, the VP, the Public in WAPO, and finally then the FBI.
THEN SWEAR BEFORE TWO FEDERAL Judges, only to recant the two instances of lying under oath to recant?
Maybe " Pathological Framing."

Yes he was framed. He didn’t lie. Per the FBI as well they believed Flynn was being truthful.

7 Likes

Wow…

“Unmasking? The Real Story Is When Flynn Was Not Masked in the First Place”

“Grenell’s list notes an unmasking request for Flynn on December 28, 2016 — weirdly, by the U.S. ambassador to Turkey. There are no unmasking requests on December 29, the date of the Kislyak call. Nor is there one during the week after that. In fact, the next listed unmasking occurred on January 5, 2017 . That one is attributed to President Obama’s chief of staff, Denis McDonough. This highlights how central that day is to the anatomy of the Democrat-crafted “collusion” narrative. It was on the morning of January 5 when Obama, Vice President Biden, and National Security Advisor Susan Rice discussed Flynn and the Trump–Russia investigation with FBI director James Comey and acting attorney general Sally Yates.”

4 Likes

Maximus1 . . .

Evangelicals/ Baptists supported Ror V Wade

Not the Evangelicals that I am friends with.

1 Like
DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.