Obama's Kagan - Opposed by more than 850 Orthodox members of the Rabbinical Alliance of America

It is clear from Ms. Kagan's record on issues such as abortion-on-demand, partial-birth-abortion, the radical homosexual and lesbian agenda, the "supremacy" of the anti-family panoply over religious liberties of biblical adherents, et. al., that she will function as a flame-throwing radical, hastening society's already steep decline into Sodom and Gomorrah, the rabbis said in the statement.

cnsnews.com/news/article/68444

I just saw this on the news and I wanted to stand up and cheer. God bless the Orthodox community. :clapping:

Our older brothers and sisters are putting us Catholics to shame for our failure to stand up against this radical who will contribute so much to destroy even further the moral structure of our country. I do hope that at least Lieberman, an orthodox Jew, will listen to the rabbis. Let us all pray and support them in any way we can.

[quote="WatchingMedia, post:1, topic:203247"]
It is clear from Ms. Kagan's record on issues such as abortion-on-demand, partial-birth-abortion, the radical homosexual and lesbian agenda, the "supremacy" of the anti-family panoply over religious liberties of biblical adherents, et. al., that she will function as a flame-throwing radical, hastening society's already steep decline into Sodom and Gomorrah, the rabbis said in the statement.

[/quote]

How many Jews are in favor of her confirmation? I'd think more than 850.

She will be confirmed because she is competent, qualified and will make a good justice.

[quote="jjdrury81, post:4, topic:203247"]
She will be confirmed because she is competent, qualified and will make a good justice.

[/quote]

JJ, you're a Catholic. As such, I am assuming you are against abortion and certainly against partial birth abortion. Although of course we love our homosexual brothers and sisters, we certainly condemn the act of homosexuality and are against legitimizing it in society. These are both big moral issues that Kagan will push.

How can you support her?

[quote="Brooklyn, post:5, topic:203247"]
JJ, you're a Catholic. As such, I am assuming you are against abortion and certainly against partial birth abortion.

[/quote]

Yes. But i do not know of a way to resolve it. I do not think that a federal ban is appropriate or would work.

Although of course we love our homosexual brothers and sisters, we certainly condemn the act of homosexuality and are against legitimizing it in society.

[/quote]

Yes and no. I see not issue with, and actually actively support, things like gay (civil) marriage, extending anti-discrimination laws to include homosexuals,etc.

These are both big moral issues that Kagan will push.

[/quote]

I do not see how you can say that with confidence.

How can you support her?

[/quote]

She is qualified. Furthermore, a former constitutional law scholar that I trust on the matter appointed her.

[quote="jjdrury81, post:6, topic:203247"]
Yes. But i do not know of a way to resolve it. I do not think that a federal ban is appropriate or would work.

You're right - we need to change the hearts and minds of people towards the abortion issue, and that is slowly happening through a lot of prayer and hard work on the part of the pro life movement. But having someone on the Supreme Court who is going to try to push through every pro-abortion case that comes in front of her is not something we need or want.

Yes and no. I see not issue with, and actually actively support, things like gay (civil) marriage, extending anti-discrimination laws to include homosexuals,etc.

How can you support these things when you know they are condemned by the Catholic Church? And "anti-discrimination" in regard to homosexuality is a bogus term. The Church itself can be called bigoted because they will not allow open, practicing homosexuals into the priesthood. Be careful of what you are saying here. Remember, the homosexual lobby is very powerful and they see the Catholic Church as a #1 enemy.

I do not see how you can say that with confidence.

Look at Kagan's track record. Why do you think the rabbis are saying this? Don't you think they would be proud of having the second Jewish woman on the Supreme Court? But instead they are fighting it because they know who she is and what she represents.

She is qualified. Furthermore, a former constitutional law scholar that I trust on the matter appointed her.

No one is saying she isn't technically qualified. Did you know that a person doesn't even have to be a lawyer to be on the Supreme Court? Anyone that the president nominates and is passed by the Senate can be on the Supreme Court. The point is, what will she do to our country if she elected to the Supreme Court?

[/quote]

There will be no more than pro forma "opposition" to her. The Republicans have said as much. They're comfortable with her, and she will be confirmed.

As to what she will do, there's no crystal ball available at this point. Justices in the past have often disappointed the Presidents who nominated them. The way she starts doesn't mean that she'll be that way always.

I'll agree she will be confirmed with no substansive opposition, but have to laugh out loud to see the "she's competent and qualified" talking point repeated, over and over.

She is qualified to serve as a law school dean, White House Counsel, and maybe even Solicitor General, but given the Court's nominees over the past 30 years (no Rehnquist red herrings, please!), she's surely a break in what has been considred "qualified".

[quote="Rich_Olszewski, post:8, topic:203247"]
There will be no more than pro forma "opposition" to her. The Republicans have said as much. They're comfortable with her, and she will be confirmed.

As to what she will do, there's no crystal ball available at this point. Justices in the past have often disappointed the Presidents who nominated them. The way she starts doesn't mean that she'll be that way always.

[/quote]

At first I thought the Republicans would give her a pass, too, just like they did with Sotomayor. But that seems to be changing. Pat Leahy of all people said the the Republicans will oppose Kagan:

"Senate Judiciary Committee Chairman Patrick Leahy (D-Vt.) on Monday predicted a majority of Senate Republicans will oppose Supreme Court nominee Elena Kagan for partisan reasons"

thehill.com/blogs/blog-briefing-room/news/101825-leahy-most-gop-senators-will-oppose-kagan

Only 35% of the country supports Kagan, so that gives the Republicans lots of ammunition as well.

As far as how she will rule if she is confirmed, yes we have had surprises - Souter and Kennedy come to mind. But it's always "conservative" who turn out to actually be liberals, and never the other way around. Kagan will make Ginsberg look conservative.

[quote="Brooklyn, post:10, topic:203247"]
At first I thought the Republicans would give her a pass, too, just like they did with Sotomayor. But that seems to be changing. Pat Leahy of all people said the the Republicans will oppose Kagan:

"Senate Judiciary Committee Chairman Patrick Leahy (D-Vt.) on Monday predicted a majority of Senate Republicans will oppose Supreme Court nominee Elena Kagan for partisan reasons"

thehill.com/blogs/blog-briefing-room/news/101825-leahy-most-gop-senators-will-oppose-kagan

Only 35% of the country supports Kagan, so that gives the Republicans lots of ammunition as well.

As far as how she will rule if she is confirmed, yes we have had surprises - Souter and Kennedy come to mind. But it's always "conservative" who turn out to actually be liberals, and never the other way around. Kagan will make Ginsberg look conservative.

[/quote]

No matter what else she is or isn't, she'll be pro-abortion. Nothing else can be expected from any Obama nominee or, for that matter, from any Democrat nominee, given what the Democrat party has become.

[quote="Rich_Olszewski, post:3, topic:203247"]

[/quote]

Please state your source. ;)

These are the leaders of the Jewish Orthodox Church.

Our Catholic Leaders should take an example of this firm straight talking Jewish Organization.
No beating around the bush, no confusion on what was really meant, no fear of stepping on toes of those with different views.

[quote="WatchingMedia, post:1, topic:203247"]

[/quote]

This is a VERY STRONG statement on Morals and Principles, and Religious beliefs.
Catholics need to take a lesson from their clarity. No mistaking what and why!

[quote="Rich_Olszewski, post:3, topic:203247"]

[/quote]

But for even 10 righteous in Sodom, God informed Abraham he would refrain.

[quote="WatchingMedia, post:12, topic:203247"]
Please state your source. ;)

These are the leaders of the Jewish Orthodox Church.

Our Catholic Leaders should take an example of this firm straight talking Jewish Organization.
No beating around the bush, no confusion on what was really meant, no fear of stepping on toes of those with different views.

[/quote]

yes, these are leaders of orthodox judaism and they see things clearly. unfortunately,
some of the other branches may not agree with these orthodox rabbis. the orthodox are very conservative and traditional. i am very happy that this organization of orthodox rabbis have spoken out. i would like to hear some american catholic bishops do the same thing.

another poster said joe lieberman is orthodox. i am not sure that is correct. he was a liberal for many years. however, i might be wrong. he is, of course, pro-israel and was very supportive of GWB and his stance on terrorism.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.